why do people say Crosby isn't flashy?

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
he seems to score highlight reel goals all the time, constantly topping himself week after week with jaw dropping plays

yet people say he isn't flashy, what the hell is flashy if he isn't flashy?

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
He's so cerebral at making these plays, it looks so easy for him.

Just looking at his goal yesterday - so many players would swat at the puck mid air the moment they saw it. He casually tracks it from the moment it rings off the post and waits for the right opportunity to tap it.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Because he does all the little things right and is defensively responsible, flashy often goes hand in hand with the negative connotation of being a defensive liability like Ovechkin

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
he seems to score highlight reel goals all the time, constantly topping himself week after week with jaw dropping plays

yet people say he isn't flashy, what the hell is flashy if he isn't flashy?

He’s unquestionably one of the best to play the game ever? Is that not enough?

I mean seriously, what other adjectives do you need?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fraction Jackson

Mar 1, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
When people say "flashy," they usually tend to mean dangles and sick dekes and plays where one guy burns the entire opposing team and so on. Guys who get along mostly on stickhandling and speed.

Crosby is capable of that stuff, but he doesn't do it as much as he did when he was younger. Combined with his use of board play/puck protection skills to do most of his damage, it means people who don't watch him play all the time don't always realize just how many crazy things he can do.

Sometimes it takes a stretch like this past week and a half, with Crosby just deciding to play experimental, concept-album style levels of insane hockey, for people to remember exactly the depth and breadth of his skillset. There are individual players that are better at certain aspects of Sid's game - people who are slightly faster, maybe a bit better defensively or on faceoffs, better shooters. But no one is as good at as many different things as he is, and there are certain things - hand-eye and midair shots like we've seen recently - where he just does things you've never seen before.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
He’s unquestionably one of the best to play the game ever? Is that not enough?

I mean seriously, what other adjectives do you need?

i want to know what is flashy and why he supposedly isn't, [MOD]

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Can you provide some sources?

Honestly he's not wrong, I've heard it countless times since he entered the league. I remember posting his highlight videos to people who said his highlights weren't really up there with the best. I think if anything they may actually be the most visually impressive of any player we have footage of.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Honestly he's not wrong, I've heard it countless times since he entered the league. I remember posting his highlight videos to people who said his highlights weren't really up there with the best. I think if anything they may actually be the most visually impressive of any player we have footage of.

I can believe what you're saying. You provide anecdotal evidence but you also say that you post highlight videos, so your argument is believable. I can dig that.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
i want to know what is flashy and why he supposedly isn't, [MOD]

[MOD]

I think I’m pretty confident that if you asked Sid if he’s concerned if people think he’s flashy or not (and who EVER heard of anyone complaining he’s not?) he’d say “what????” and make it immediately clear that he could care less.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
"Flashy" is used by old school guys as an insult. I remember people saying that Mario Lemieux was too flashy for his own good and someone was going to tune him for it. Old school guys always think it's better to punch someone in the face than hurt someone's feelings, and being flashy reminds the fourth line grinders they probably shouldn't be playing at this level. Flashy also tends to goto Europeans and players they think play poor defence. Crosby is good at defence so he isn't called flashy. But like "character" and "grit" and "superstar" it's a meaningless term that everyone has their own meaning for.

Reactions: W75 and saffronleaf

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Because he does all the little things right and is defensively responsible, flashy often goes hand in hand with the negative connotation of being a defensive liability like Ovechkin
This isn't 2014. Ovi is better than Sid defensively now

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
"Flashy" is used by old school guys as an insult. I remember people saying that Mario Lemieux was too flashy for his own good and someone was going to tune him for it. Old school guys always think it's better to punch someone in the face than hurt someone's feelings, and being flashy reminds the fourth line grinders they probably shouldn't be playing at this level. Flashy also tends to goto Europeans and players they think play poor defence. Crosby is good at defence so he isn't called flashy. But like "character" and "grit" and "superstar" it's a meaningless term that everyone has their own meaning for.

I don't think that has much to do with it though, Datsyuk was as flashy as it gets in the opinions of most and was the best defensive forward. I think it's because they truly never got to witness a lot of his best highlights and only saw him the odd game here and there where he compiled a lot of points from subtle plays and board work, which he is a master at.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
maybe less flashy in the sense that he will use the most probable play that leads to success.

Sid has all the skills in the world, if he thinks flicking the puck in the air and hitting it through your legs is the highest percentage play, he'll do that. If he thinks just a toe drag is the best play he'll do it.

Watching Sid play period, is flashy. The guy doing nothing except protecting the puck in the corner is flashy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4