why do people say Crosby isn't flashy?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
many say it and some call him a grinder, which is a nice way of saying not flashy

I remember it being used in a flattering context though and the pundit was careful to frame it that way. I also forget who it was but they basically said he's the best grinder of all time or something to that effect and compared his skillset to Peter Forsberg, talking about his fundamentals, board play, puck protection as the foundation of his game from which the other, more noticeable stuff comes. And I think that's totally correct, much of what Crosby does that consistently impresses me isn't highlight reel.

Then again, this board often has a hard time with understanding actually effective play vs. flashy play, so.

Reactions: saffronleaf
Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I think of "flashy" players as being the wingers streaking down the ice -- Ovie, Jagr, Bure, and deke magicians like Datsyuk -- the kind of skillsets and plays that the eye can easily appreciate and are a regular part of a player's game. Crosby's game is playmaking and work in the corners, he has the hockey smarts to anticipate the play and know where to be to get the goal or set one up. But he's usually not the first player on every hockey fan's list of favorite players to watch. Of course now and then he'll do something really awesome and I love watching him in shootouts, but his game is almost chess-like and generally more of a cerebral one.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I think of "flashy" players as being the wingers streaking down the ice -- Ovie, Jagr, Bure, and deke magicians like Datsyuk -- the kind of skillsets and plays that the eye can easily appreciate and are a regular part of a player's game. Crosby's game is playmaking and work in the corners, he has the hockey smarts to anticipate the play and know where to be to get the goal or set one up. But he's usually not on every hockey fan's list of favorite players to watch. Of course now and then he'll do something really awesome and I love watching him in shootouts, but his game is almost chess-like and generally more of a cerebral one.

I don't understand it, I'm an avid hockey fan watching from a bird's eye view and Crosby is seeing plays at ice-level that I can't even see unfolding.

Most people don't even see the small things Crosby does that separates him, honestly to me the flashiest thing about Crosby is his edgework and headfakes.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I figured the remarks has to do with the fact that Crosby is one of the hardest workers in the league. If you work hard for success, you aren't considered flashy. Not that I necessarily agree with that logic.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
I figured the remarks has to do with the fact that Crosby is one of the hardest workers in the league. If you work hard for success, you aren't considered flashy. Not that I necessarily agree with that logic.

Agreed, “grinder” is more indicative of a work ethic as opposed to skillset.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Eh before the two goals he just recently scored he has been quite the opposite of flashy this season. I think he can have a lot of shifts were you don’t notice him the way you do other superstars in the league.

That being said who the hell cares what I think, the man has three rings.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
It's because he's not lighting fast, doesn't have amazingly quick hands, and doesn't have a super hard shot.

... Crosby’s hands are disgustingly quick, his snapshot was top tier and he use to be as explosive as anybody with the puck.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Malkin is like a fine picasso painted in the heat of passionate love making.
Sid is like watching an old man try to paint a deck with nails sticking out of it everywhere.
But they're both cerebral which is why i love watching both. There's a ton of depth and intelligence to Crosby's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad