Why do people like Kane so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I haven't seen anyone yet :(

Could of sworn i was standing in front of Klingberg at timmy ho's once (the day after a couple guys were put on injury) but couldn't have been him as i checked when i got home and someone else had gotten the call up. Color me dissapointed

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I'd have to say i'm pretty disappointed in the fact that i haven't seen any Jets out and about... although i'm not sure what i'd do if i saw one up close... maybe scream, cry, and pull my hair.

Kane. Needs to be better. :)

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Well I don't know I mean him being a 20 year old 30 goal scorer may have something to do with it.

What if someone playing with the same linemates scored only 20 goals, but played in such a way that his linemates scored 15 more times than they do with Kane? That's the feeling I have -- that his style of play costs a lot of potential offence too. In order to score as much as he can, it may be that he's doing a lot of things that discourage other players from scoring. For example, he seems to want to try that wraparound play as many times as it takes to produce a highlight-reel goal, no matter how many more ordinary-looking goals it costs the team in the meantime.

I actually like him and he's clearly a bright guy but I wonder if it wouldn't be better to trade him to a more established team that could fit him in better, in exchange for someone that would really fit well with Burmistrov (let's say). On the other hand, I don't mind at all if he stays with the Jets because he's obviously talented. I would be quite happy to have exactly the same team back next year, actually.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
War and Peace part 2

so here are a list of my concerns with Kane.

#1 Durability due to playing style. This past season Kane had 3 or 4 crash's that can end a season and we were fortunate he got up from. My hopes are that he learns to modify his style to be on the edge but not over and too the point of danger. In fairness he didn't seem to have as many of these holacious crashes (end boards or net) after coming back from his concussion.

#2 As to Holden's excellent comments and despite what I said about Messier having similar issues at the same age there is no Guarantee the rest of Kane's game will come along and he might top out at a 35-25 guy. Nothing wrong with that and I do expect more but that might be as good as it gets especially if any injuries happen that impact his speed.

#3 Maturity: Evander is an arrogant kid and that is something that is tough to grow out of. His off ice issues really don't matter too much to me anymore and most of them can be handled by him laying low (in public and on social media) and for the most part I don't think these things will matter too much to the public if he plays well. However a concern I do have is in the locker room. I am not going to flame this one too much but getting along with his teammates has been an issue since he was 15 (probably before that) until present. I am not sure this will ever change and nor do I know if it is important for your elite goal scorer to be liked? would it be nice if he had chemistry.....for sure.....does it actually matter though....I have no idea? edit: thanks Hank you probably answered my question

#4 Cultural fit with TNSE and Winnipeg: This is no knock on Kane I am just calling it like I see it but to me EK is suited to a big US city like Atlanta where he I not in the spotlight or under the microscope. I imagine it would be more fun for him to go out and not be recognized. Also Culturally TNSE and EK go together like Ice Cream and Onions :D. Kingbogo you are right here though lots can change in this area and we can all hope that Evander matures and this fit improves at least to the point that he can stomach it for the season. However and this is important and applies to Kane and any of the other boys if they have communicated to their agent that they don’t want to be hear 1 second after they become a UFA we need to know that and maximize our asset

closing thoughts: I would love to see us get Kane tied up into a 2 year deal this summer. It would allow us to kick the can up the road to see if Evander's game and personality mature. in the summer of 2014 he will have 2 years left as an RFA and we can either package him up for a deal to maximize his value or If Kane grows and matures and can see himself here long term we can get him tied up to a 5 year deal for big cash. Kane is not the only kid with a big head that's played in the NHL and I am sure many of them have been part of a championship run so I am all for letting this thing play out for a few years..........what's the rush and we need his goal scoring.

I agree with most points on both posts ps241, but I like your closing thoughts and I've said it before. We don't need to decide Kane's future this off season. It is highly likely Chevy will sign him to a 2 year "show us what you can do" contract. It is in both their best interests. If Kane develops but the personality is a bad fit you have a lot of leverage and get full value for him since he still has 2 years RFA left. If he develops like you want, and starts maturing and wants to stay sign him long term for what he is worth.

You can't lose at this point because he is already a main contributer on the team, and will likely still be cap friendly on his next contract. IMO The Jets management have a lot more pressing concerns this off season.

Sunshine36616

Image2.jpg

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I mean, whats good about a 30 goal scored who's 20 years old? kids a total bust.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Great thread, nice to see some reasoned arguments about our biggest lightening rod (IMO).

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Kaner. I think his potential is sky high, and I think that he can be franchise player if he adds some dimensions to his game. At 20 he's got a lot of growth left in terms of how he plays.
I find it shocking some people down play his value, he may be our best player at 20 years old.

pmedguy

C'mon Ref!!!
Sep 23, 2011
Smackdown Hotel Rm27
Evader Kane is your future Jets fans. When he matures he will be one of the premier power forwards in the Entire NHL. He will consistently score 30 goals per season. Nuffi said!

Captain Clutch 13

Mar 7, 2011
30 goal scorer power forward at 20 years old who is really physical and plays with an edge. What more do you want? His playmaking and defense will come with time, Kane will score 40 with a good centre one day.

Vapour Trails

Oct 10, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
My reaction to this thread...

Sigh....shakes head

The Winnipeg is seeping out here, the endless need to find fault and criticize (and be jealous).

Honestly, what are these "off ice issues"?

Last edited:

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I would be quite happy to have exactly the same team back next year, actually.

Seriously? Flirting with a lottery pick is good enough?

Low expectations. TNSE will be happy to know that's all we expect from them.

This group didn't get any better from last year to this. Why would next year be different?

I hope I never see fehr, Miettenen, jones and Antropov in a jets uniform again.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

This group didn't get any better from last year to this. Why would next year be different?

I would advise against watching tomorrows game...:sarcasm:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Yes let's just completely ignore he is BY FAR our best defensive forward. He is completely useless. Nevermind the fact that we have a big problem controlling the other teams best forwards without him. Nevermind the fact that he is our best Pker. Nevermind that he is a crucial leader on this team. Forget that, SCREW ANTROPOV!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yes let's just completely ignore he is BY FAR our best defensive forward. He is completely useless. Nevermind the fact that we have a big problem controlling the other teams best forwards without him. Nevermind the fact that he is our best Pker. Nevermind that he is a crucial leader on this team. Forget that, SCREW ANTROPOV!

Annnnnd the guy has a ridiculous wristshot.

And he is a BIG CENTRE on a team that DESPERATELY NEEDS BIG CENTRES.

Yep, totally useless. We didn't miss him at all these past few games when we were in must win mode. Nope, not at all.

They should just buy out his contract, today, before the game. Save everyone the torture of watching him drag his fat ass around the ice. Terrible hockey player.

You can tell everyone on the team absolutely hates him too. There is no way Burmistrov looks up to him.

/sarcoff

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario

I like 'em anyway. I don't have 'expectations' other than that I will turn on the TV and the Jets will entertain me while making my hometown look good. Those expectations have been met so far. I'm sure that over the course of time they will have as many good and as many bad years as most teams do. With this management group, actually, i might hope for a little better than that. But the only thing i require is players who are decent people and who try hard. And a coach with a sense of humour.

bazaaa*

I mean it's great he has 30 goals, but besides a couple things, I don't really see anything that great about him.

He's fast, yes. He has a very good shot, yes. But outside that, what is there? I see a one dimensional hockey player, that you know exactly what's going to happen when he gets the puck. He has no moves, can't stick handle, and will lose the puck almost every time he tries to make a move on a defender. He never passes. All he does is shoot from any and every angle possible. The rare time he does pass, it's usually just fired in front of the net, he has no vision what so ever.

I was laughed at when I made this post two seasons ago. I still think that description is bang on with him.

I think his attitude improved, he is more intense, and has increased effort, but other than that he has no vision, no hockey IQ.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I was laughed at when I made this post two seasons ago. I still think that description is bang on with him.

I think his attitude improved, he is more intense, and has increased effort, but other than that he has no vision, no hockey IQ.

Duly noted.

BTW, we've got a discussion thread about Evander Kane on the first page. No need to bump this discussion from a year and a half ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad