Why do people like Kane so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Bingo....and bingo

Kane is going to be/already is a stud and his best years are ahead of him. He'll pack on another 10-15lbs. and really start using his power forward ability even better. Give him a true playmaking center, and you'll have yourself an incredible top line.

Agree. Kane is so young, but his numbers are quite promising and very encouraging. Once he rounds out, matures and develops in to the player he can potentially be, and he's already at an impressive point this early in his career, he will likely be on of the leagues better goal scoring wingers.

As he gets bigger and fills out, utilizes his speed, he'll be one of those players that is quite tough for opposing teams to contain. Especially if he brings it night in, night out. Teams draw up gameplans around players like this.

To put things in perspective, think of Kane now... and now think of him in 5, 6, 7 years when he's 25-27 years of age, experienced, developed, etc. Pretty exciting. I say the exact same thing about Zach Bogosian, just picture him in 4-6 or 7 years. What a force these kids could be.

There is really no reason right now to not believe that our very own players in Kane and Bogosian, for example, cannot become real solid or elite talents just as guys like Shea Weber or Ryan Kesler have become. Not a direct comparison, just saying these kids have the potential to become stars just as others in the league have.

I am not trying to ramp the hype train up or be unrealistic, but these kids have the potential, I really have no doubts about that.

Last edited:

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Maybe go back even further into his Junior years for more highlights? ANd what did I say, he throws it towards the net.

Wait a minute... throwing the puck on net is bad?????

Are you saying you'd rather have him dump it into the corner and cycle the puck until we turn it over and the opposing team carries it out??

We need more guys putting the puck on net and starting a scramble. There's a much higher probability of getting a goal that way, than the "every guy on the ice touches the puck twice before we shoot" kind.

With Kane's skill and speed at his age, we're looking at something really nice in a few years, especially if we can find a playmaking center for him.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
To put things in perspective, think of Kane now... and now think of him in 5, 6, 7 years when he's 25-27 years of age, experienced, developed, etc. Pretty exciting. I say the exact same thing about Zach Bogosian, just picture him in 4-6 or 7 years. What a force these kids could be.

There is really no reason right now to not believe that our very own players in Kane and Bogosian, for example, cannot become real solid or elite talents just as guys like Shea Weber or Ryan Kesler have become. Not a direct comparison, just saying these kids have the potential to become stars just as others in the league have.

I am not trying to ramp the hype train up or be unrealistic, but these kids have the potential, I really have no doubts about that.

Totally agree. I think some of us suffer from a "grass is greener" mentality. Since we're watching our players all the time, we know their strengths and their deficiencies. Since we're not paying the same attention to other teams players, we pretty much only hear surface level reports- which generally is only good things.

I think we have a fantastic young player in Evander Kane, with a talent and skill-set that would make any gm drool and with as much upside as any other 20 year old in the league. The issue being, we know him intimately, we've studied him, and we see his deficiencies.

We haven't watched 70+ games of all the other potential 20 year-olds in the league (excuse me if you have, but I find that unlikely due to time investment and scheduling conflicts), so we don't know their faults, pretty much only hear the good things about them, and take that as full value.

Kane is a keeper. I can understand the arguments about wanting a complete player but i do think it's premature. Also i accept the argument of asset management, that theirs a chance he doesn't reach his potential so now may be the best time to move him. Unfortunately, there's a big risk in that, and ultimately, you won't get his ceiling in a return offer, you'll get a sure-bet of something less. Personally i hold onto Kane, a 50+ point goal scorer floor, with a potential to be 40-20 or even 50-30 player ceiling? I take that over the sure fire 30-30 guy any day.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Totally agree. I think some of us suffer from a "grass is greener" mentality. Since we're watching our players all the time, we know their strengths and their deficiencies. Since we're not paying the same attention to other teams players, we pretty much only hear surface level reports- which generally is only good things.

I think we have a fantastic young player in Evander Kane, with a talent and skill-set that would make any gm drool and with as much upside as any other 20 year old in the league. The issue being, we know him intimately, we've studied him, and we see his deficiencies.

We haven't watched 70+ games of all the other potential 20 year-olds in the league (excuse me if you have, but I find that unlikely due to time investment and scheduling conflicts), so we don't know their faults, pretty much only hear the good things about them, and take that as full value.

Kane is a keeper. I can understand the arguments about wanting a complete player but i do think it's premature. Also i accept the argument of asset management, that theirs a chance he doesn't reach his potential so now may be the best time to move him. Unfortunately, there's a big risk in that, and ultimately, you won't get his ceiling in a return offer, you'll get a sure-bet of something less. Personally i hold onto Kane, a 50+ point goal scorer floor, with a potential to be 40-20 or even 50-30 player ceiling? I take that over the sure fire 30-30 guy any day.

AWESOME post, Grind!!

I used this same mentality last weekend in a thread where some were advocating trading Kane to get a player who was more fitted to our team needs, I used the exact same phrase "that grass isn't always greener".

You nailed it, big time, in my opinion. We watch these guys game in, game out. We're all too aware of the good and the bad, and likely dissect the bad a little too much. And just because Bogosian is ours, maybe some of us don't think he can become a Shea Weber-like defenseman (I personally do). Same goes for Kane, just because he is ours, some may not think he can become a star or elite in the same way Kesler has in Vancouver, or Richards did in Philly, etc. It's always easier to look at other teams and their players and think "man, I wish we had one of those". Meanwhile, there is a good chance we do, it's just going to take some time for those young players to mature, develop and evolve into the players they can be.

I guarantee you that fans of other teams do the same to their players, whether it be E. Staal, Rick Nash, Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Ryan Kesler, Jarome Iginla, Matt Duchene, Patrick Kane, etc. The list goes on and on and on. It's a natural thing, really.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
IMO Kane is a good complimentary piece on a good team, not a franchise player. If he's your franchise player, then I dont see a Stanley Cup anytime in that teams future. He's a more physical Phil Kessel (me first attitude and poor back checker). Of course he does have time to hopefully mature. I could definitely see him forcing a trade or leaving Winnipeg when he has a chance.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
IMO Kane is a good complimentary piece on a good team, not a franchise player. If he's your franchise player, then I dont see a Stanley Cup anytime in that teams future. He's a more physical Phil Kessel (me first attitude and poor back checker). Of course he does have time to hopefully mature. I could definitely see him forcing a trade or leaving Winnipeg when he has a chance.

While I don't necessarily think Kane is a franchise player either, I certainly do believe he can become just as valuable to the Winnipeg Jets as Ryan Kesler has become for the Vancouver Canucks. I don't think Kesler is a franchise guy, but he is certainly a cornerstone in Vancouver. Perhaps to some he is a franchise guy?

I see (and hope) Evander can become that cornerstone for us. At the end of the day, given he is just 20 years old, it may be just a touch too early to say he can't or won't be a franchise type player. Many players can shake poor habits and/or change parts of their game during the developmental and maturation process. Many players also come to the realization of the player they can truly be through that process. Who's to say Kane cannot do this, while also scoring 40-45 goals and possibly hitting 70+ points. Maybe he ends up a long-time Winnipeg Jet, and we look back and say how much of a cornerstone player he has been, how he has ended up as a franchise guy for us.

Go back in time to when some of these players were 20 years old. There was a day that Mike Richards was looked upon as a very good 3rd line player. There was also a day when Ryan Callahan was looked upon as a very good 3rd line player. Same goes for Ryan Kesler. Corey Perry wasn't destined to be the star and franchise guy he has become when he was 20 years old. How many people thought Milan Lucic would become the force he has become? He may not be a legitimate franchise guy to some people, but he sure is a guy Boston builds around and will likely build around for the foreseeable future. I remember when he signed his 3 year deal back in 2009 some fans were thinking it was too much coin (4 million) for Lucic, a player who had only scored 17 goals and 42 points to that date, even though he had just 2 seasons under his belt.

Many of these players appeared to have "lower end" ceilings, flaws and doubts in their games, if you will. Now look at them. Some are elite. Others are invaluable. Others are captains or viewed as franchise guys.

At just 20 years of age, it may be just a touch early to say Kane won't or can't be that guy for us. So much can happen in the next 2-4 years, and beyond.

I do tend to agree with you, Paradise, if I had to give an honest opinion. But I tend to like looking at things in a big picture kind of way.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
While I don't necessarily think Kane is a franchise player either, I certainly do believe he can become just as valuable to the Winnipeg Jets as Ryan Kesler has become for the Vancouver Canucks. I don't think Kesler is a franchise guy, but he is certainly a cornerstone in Vancouver. Perhaps to some he is a franchise guy?

I see (and hope) Evander can become that cornerstone for us. At the end of the day, given he is just 20 years old, it may be just a touch too early to say he can't or won't be a franchise type player. Many players can shake poor habits and/or change parts of their game during the developmental and maturation process. Many players also come to the realization of the player they can truly be through that process.

Go back in time to when some of these players were 20 years old. There was a day that Mike Richards was looked upon as a very good 3rd line player. There was also a day when Ryan Callahan was looked upon as a very good 3rd line player. Same goes for Ryan Kesler. Corey Perry wasn't destined to be the star and franchise guy he has become when he was 20 years old. How many people thought Milan Lucic would become the force he has become? He may not be a legitimate franchise guy to some people, but he sure is a guy Boston builds around and will likely build around for the foreseeable future. I remember when he signed his 3 year deal back in 2009 fans were thinking it was too much coin for Lucic, a player who had only scored 17 goals and 42 points to that date, even though he had just 2 seasons under his belt.

Many of these players appeared to have "lower end" ceilings, flaws and doubts in their games, if you will. Now look at them. Some are elite. Others are invaluable. Others are captains or viewed as franchise guys.

At just 20 years of age, it may be just a touch early to say Kane won't or can't be that guy for us. So much can happen in the next 2-4 years, and beyond.

I do tend to agree with you, Paradise, if I had to give an honest opinion. But I tend to like looking at things in a big picture kind of way.

You make very good points Guerzy. The problem I have is Kane's attitude. I know people can mature, but it's just difficult to see as of right now. He rubs me the wrong way, but I hope in the future he can grow up and become more of a leader both on and off the ice.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

I see (and hope) Evander can become that cornerstone for us. At the end of the day, given he is just 20 years old, it may be just a touch too early to say he can't or won't be a franchise type player. Many players can shake poor habits and/or change parts of their game during the developmental and maturation process. Many players also come to the realization of the player they can truly be through that process. Who's to say Kane cannot do this, while also scoring 40-45 goals and possibly hitting 70+ points. Maybe he ends up a long-time Winnipeg Jet, and we look back and say how much of a cornerstone player he has been, how he has ended up as a franchise guy for us.

Go back in time to when some of these players were 20 years old. There was a day that Mike Richards was looked upon as a very good 3rd line player. There was also a day when Ryan Callahan was looked upon as a very good 3rd line player. Same goes for Ryan Kesler. Corey Perry wasn't destined to be the star and franchise guy he has become when he was 20 years old. How many people thought Milan Lucic would become the force he has become? He may not be a legitimate franchise guy to some people, but he sure is a guy Boston builds around and will likely build around for the foreseeable future. I remember when he signed his 3 year deal back in 2009 some fans were thinking it was too much coin (4 million) for Lucic, a player who had only scored 17 goals and 42 points to that date, even though he had just 2 seasons under his belt.

Thank Guerzy, really good points in here too. I do think it we'll have a pretty solid idea as to what kane will be in two years time. Unfortunately, I also think by that time, if he's not looking like he's going to live up to his ceiling, he won't carry the value of that ceiling for trade. That being said I still hope we hold onto him.

The problem I have is Kane's attitude.
As for attitude, this is a digg on kane i've never understood. Do you just get that "vibe" from him, or is there something in particular that sticks you?

Through all his post games and interviews, he's come across as a pretty level headed kid, he wants to win, but seems to know he's a young guy with a ways to go. He plays with his heart on his sleeve a bit too much and takes a bad reactionary penalty every now and then, but more then anything I see that as a sign of a drive to win.

Can you point to a specific interview or something that shows his aformentioned "bad attitude" or is it just a general feeling?

I too hope he can mature to be leadership type of guy, and i think with his obvious passion, with the right coaching/development he could play that role very well

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

Not that I totally disagree with your point here, but I think it's easy to make this conclusion about shoot-first wingers. On a team that really lacks a true #1 C, the deficiencies you mentioned (average defensively, selfish play) become more glaring. Give him an elite C to work with, and then the idea of having a more physical version of Kessel becomes that much more attractive. This doesn't really mean that Kane is any less of a franchise player, but more that his game will never appear as well-rounded as you'd like it to be, especially when he lacks the right players around him.

The next big step for Kane IMO is learning how to play the PP. For a guy with his shot and mentality to be a 2nd unit guy is simply a waste of talent. I could see him being a deadly guy on his off-wing, poaching for onetimers below the dot. Unfortunately, his sense of positioning and distribution on the PP is incredibly raw, even for a 20 year old. If he can figure that out eventually, he'll soon be the guy that they can funnel opportunities to, and not have to rely so much on generating through the point.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
You make very good points Guerzy. The problem I have is Kane's attitude. I know people can mature, but it's just difficult to see as of right now. He rubs me the wrong way, but I hope in the future he can grow up and become more of a leader both on and off the ice.

Absolutely valid. Some get poor vibes from him, we all know the stories we've heard (no need to dig into them), etc. It really is what it is at this point. Only the coming years will show us what type of player Kane will be on and off the ice.

All in all, I hope a day comes, if it hasn't already, that Kane does become the on and off ice leader.

Even if it isn't off ice stuff, and say it's on ice stuff regarding some players. For instance, Jeff Skinner in Carolina. My opinion stands that right now he is immature on the ice, doesn't take getting hit well, run at well, played hard, gets easily frustrated, yaps and whines at referees, etc.. but, he's just 20 years old in a couple months. I believe he'll mature and be one of the best leaders in the entire NHL. But right now? boy do you ever hope he grows up.

Many young players have deficiencies and things they have to work on, and that goes for on and off the ice. Nothing is a given, and perhaps Kane will be just another Phil Kessel-like winger who isn't necessarily a leader on the ice or in the room, or the franchise guy he was once upon a time potentially viewed as. Perhaps he just shows up, scores some goals, plays streaky, etc.

It's the same in life, really. I know guys that were idiots and morons at 18, 19 and 20. But they're some of the most mature, grown up and focused people I could name right now.

Time will tell.

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Also, just for some sort of comparison to players with deficiencies, Eric Staal is by all means a franchise player in Carolina. However, he is a center who doesn't distribute the puck very well. Yes, he ends up with his good share of assists, but he isn't a very good playmaker and is very selfish with the puck. He also sucks at faceoffs. His defensive game can be respectable, but a lot of the time it isn't and in truth his piss poor +/- is a clear indication of that. He is a shoot-first center by every sense of the phrase, his shot selection and location on the ice can be mind boggling. Lastly, and perhaps worst of all, to this point in Eric's career he has proven to be a better second half player than a first half. Why? I mean, it literally kills his teams playoff hopes.

But, through it all, Eric Staal is a Captain and a franchise player.

Last edited:

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Thank Guerzy, really good points in here too. I do think it we'll have a pretty solid idea as to what kane will be in two years time. Unfortunately, I also think by that time, if he's not looking like he's going to live up to his ceiling, he won't carry the value of that ceiling for trade. That being said I still hope we hold onto him.

As for attitude, this is a digg on kane i've never understood. Do you just get that "vibe" from him, or is there something in particular that sticks you?

Through all his post games and interviews, he's come across as a pretty level headed kid, he wants to win, but seems to know he's a young guy with a ways to go. He plays with his heart on his sleeve a bit too much and takes a bad reactionary penalty every now and then, but more then anything I see that as a sign of a drive to win.

Can you point to a specific interview or something that shows his aformentioned "bad attitude" or is it just a general feeling?

I too hope he can mature to be leadership type of guy, and i think with his obvious passion, with the right coaching/development he could play that role very well

It's the vibe I get and I truly trust my vibes. I'm not saying others need to agree, but my reading of people has gotten me through life pretty well, so I tend to follow it when I have "that feeling".

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Absolutely valid. Some get poor vibes from him, we all know the stories we've heard (no need to dig into them), etc. It really is what it is at this point. Only the coming years will show us what type of player Kane will be on and off the ice.

All in all, I hope a day comes, if it hasn't already, that Kane does become the on and off ice leader.

Even if it isn't off ice stuff, and say it's on ice stuff regarding some players. For instance, Jeff Skinner in Carolina. My opinion stands that right now he is immature on the ice, doesn't take getting hit well, run at well, played hard, gets easily frustrated, yaps and whines at referees, etc.. but, he's just 20 years old in a couple months. I believe he'll mature and be one of the best leaders in the entire NHL. But right now? boy do you ever hope he grows up.

Many young players have deficiencies and things they have to work on, and that goes for on and off the ice. Nothing is a given, and perhaps Kane will be just another Phil Kessel-like winger who isn't necessarily a leader on the ice or in the room, or the franchise guy he was once upon a time potentially viewed as. Perhaps he just shows up, scores some goals, plays streaky, etc.

It's the same in life, really. I know guys that were idiots and morons at 18, 19 and 20. But they're some of the most mature, grown up and focused people I could name right now.

Time will tell.

I agree, maturity is very difficult to read. Some take time and others never really get it. I hope Kane eventually matures.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Not that I totally disagree with your point here, but I think it's easy to make this conclusion about shoot-first wingers. On a team that really lacks a true #1 C, the deficiencies you mentioned (average defensively, selfish play) become more glaring. Give him an elite C to work with, and then the idea of having a more physical version of Kessel becomes that much more attractive. This doesn't really mean that Kane is any less of a franchise player, but more that his game will never appear as well-rounded as you'd like it to be, especially when he lacks the right players around him.

The next big step for Kane IMO is learning how to play the PP. For a guy with his shot and mentality to be a 2nd unit guy is simply a waste of talent. I could see him being a deadly guy on his off-wing, poaching for onetimers below the dot. Unfortunately, his sense of positioning and distribution on the PP is incredibly raw, even for a 20 year old. If he can figure that out eventually, he'll soon be the guy that they can funnel opportunities to, and not have to rely so much on generating through the point.

I'd like to see Kane work on playing better without the puck. It's something that doesn't show up on the stats sheets, but is truly important to overall team defense.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
It's the vibe I get and I truly trust my vibes. I'm not saying others need to agree, but my reading of people has gotten me through life pretty well, so I tend to follow it when I have "that feeling".

That's fair, was just curious if maybe there was some interview of him going off the handle or something of the sort that I missed.

I hope he matures and develops into a strong player and a strong leader as well. The one concern i do have on his attitude (and i'm fairly certain this will change/improve) is he does get frustrated very easily, which could be bad if the jets take too long to start showing marked improvement.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I honestly havent seen anything from him that I Dont like... For the type of player he is he really has no deficiencies and should be a 50 goal scorer in a cpl years. Sounds like a smart kid in all of his interviews and according to TSN is a candidate for Olympics in 2014. His past History with Hockey Canada is impeccable.

There is no real ceiling for how good he can be!

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Lots of good points in this thread. Guerzy you have a very good take at it, no doubt.

My issue with Kane is mostly his hockey sense. I don't think it's very good at all. Nobody can argue that Kane does not have the raw skills necessary. Skates like the wind, great shot, can hit, good frame. His natural skills are not in question. He lacks the toolbox to put it together though, IMO. It's not something that develops very much, you either have it or you don't.

I don't expect Kane to be a playmaker, he never will be. He is a goalscorer all the way. But he has no sense of where to be on the ice. You watch him in the offensive zone and he doesn't find the soft areas in the defense to get himself open for a pass. All of his goals are a result of great individual effort on his part, which is fine, but that's why I don't think a playmaker center will improve his game very much. It's also why he struggles majorly on the PP. He simply cannot read a defense, find the soft spots and exploit it. He just goes to the net with puck. Jarome Iginla is a goal scoring winger in the same mold, but he sees the ice much better, and can find the areas to wait to score. It's how he has been able to be so effective for so long. Maybe Kane can develop hockey sense, but it's not something you see very often, it's something you have or you don't, IMO.

He is also at times quite hesitant to get his nose dirty to score. He has not set up in front of the net once this year that I can recall, would love for him to do that. Since Antropov went down our 2nd PP unit has been absolutely terrible since Miettinen, Kane, Wellwood all play the perimeter, no net presence.

Me and friend were talking about this yesterday. Watch a John Tavares in New York. He has nowhere near the raw skill set of a Kane. But he just finds the areas of the ice to go to create offense, he instinctively has offensive hockey sense. You watch his goal reel and you say, well anybody can score those goals. True, but it's hockey sense to always be in the right spot at the right time, it's how he can score 40 goals, easily. Stamkos is the same thing, but he gets to 55-60 cause he has the skills on top of the hockey sense :laugh:. This is also why I am so excited for Scheifele because I had some of that same sense from him, he just knew how to read a defense and be in the right spot at the right time. Kane has the natural skills, but not the hockey sense. It really limits his potential, IMO.

That being said, Kane is a valuable player. He is a goalscoring winger that will get 30 goals most season, probably has a season or two at 40-45 goals, but I doubt he ever cracks 70 points. He will score some goals, hit some guys and play his game. Ask him to play D, play the PP, set up out front, or find the soft spots to be open for teammates, basically anything involving team play, it's just not going to happen. That's all right, not everybody can be perfect, but no franchise forward you should be depending on, IMO.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
The problem with Kane, like Burmi and Bogo, is that he will have UFA rights by the time he's 26/27. Unlike Burmi and Bogo, I can't see Kane committing his future long term to Winnipeg. The kid has stars in his eyes. The question then becomes how much does the organization committ to Kane.

I agree he's a great straightline talent who will score 40 regularly.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Me and friend were talking about this yesterday. Watch a John Tavares in New York. He has nowhere near the raw skill set of a Kane. But he just finds the areas of the ice to go to create offense, he instinctively has offensive hockey sense. You watch his goal reel and you say, well anybody can score those goals. True, but it's hockey sense to always be in the right spot at the right time, it's how he can score 40 goals, easily. Stamkos is the same thing, but he gets to 55-60 cause he has the skills on top of the hockey sense :laugh:. This is also why I am so excited for Scheifele because I had some of that same sense from him, he just knew how to read a defense and be in the right spot at the right time. Kane has the natural skills, but not the hockey sense. It really limits his potential, IMO.

This is an excellent point here Holden regarding hockey sense. I think you're definitely spot on here. And with Scheifele, many of his preseason goals came at the hands of being in the right spot at the right time. It was actually a mirror image of Jeff Skinner in Carolina in his 2010-2011 rookie season. The kid just always seemed to "be there" to bang it home. And truth be told, as you say, that is a God given, natural talent in this game.

Great summary, Holden.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
The problem with Kane, like Burmi and Bogo, is that he will have UFA rights by the time he's 26/27. Unlike Burmi and Bogo, I can't see Kane committing his future long term to Winnipeg. The kid has stars in his eyes. The question then becomes how much does the organization committ to Kane.

I agree he's a great straightline talent who will score 40 regularly.

This is an interesting point, and I myself have concerns of Kane wanting to go somewhere like New York when he has a chance.

With that being said, Winnipeg is a BIG, yet small market. Truthfully, if he is "that good", the entire Hockey world will know given that he is in the Canadian spotlight. Not to sound ignorant to other markets, Detroit and Philly get just as much media attention and spotlight. Point is, if Kane is good enough, he'll get his recognition.

With that being said, I could still see him wanting to play in a giant market, location and life style that New York City would offer.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Some really interesting posts all around. Kane is already a good young player and IMO top out as a 40 - 50 goal power forward, once he matures physically and mentally. If he was a football player he would just be finishing up his junior year and college and trying to decide if he wanted to enter the draft or wait another year.

Being a true power forward you don't need the same hockey sense and vision of the ice like a top line centre. Kane's strengths will be his speed, shot, and going strong to the net as well as is desire to score goals. A play making centre will take advantage of these skills.

As for him not wanting to stick around Winnipeg, it is way to early to speculate on this. A lot of things can happen over the next couple years that may influence his thoughts. Personal and team success, meeting a nice young lady fron Winnipeg etc.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Some really interesting posts all around. Kane is already a good young player and IMO top out as a 40 - 50 goal power forward, once he matures physically and mentally. If he was a football player he would just be finishing up his junior year and college and trying to decide if he wanted to enter the draft or wait another year.

Being a true power forward you don't need the same hockey sense and vision of the ice like a top line centre. Kane's strengths will be his speed, shot, and going strong to the net as well as is desire to score goals. A play making centre will take advantage of these skills.

As for him not wanting to stick around Winnipeg, it is way to early to speculate on this. A lot of things can happen over the next couple years that may influence his thoughts. Personal and team success, meeting a nice young lady fron Winnipeg etc.

What a sensible post. All very good points and what I was thinking as well.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
When Kane matures & becomes more of an overall team player he will become twice the player that he is now.

At 20 years old with 29 goals he is the Jets biggest sniper with a ton of potential & a possible future captain of the team.

His off ice attitude & ego needs to be in check & is the reason why many people have a problem with him.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Can't believe this question had to be asked. :doh: Pretty much been summed up already but really disappointed people are not sold on Kane.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
When Kane matures & becomes more of an overall team player he will become twice the player that he is now.

At 20 years old with 29 goals he is the Jets biggest sniper with a ton of potential & a possible future captain of the team.

His off ice attitude & ego needs to be in check & is the reason why many people have a problem with him.

These are the ones that get me. What off-ice attitude??? Where is this coming from? Is this still the silly Twitter crapola?

I've seen no evidence of an "attitude" with Kane. Do people really put that much stock in what they read on Twitter?

I could see if it was a reliable publication like "The National Enquirer"... but Twitter?:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad