Why do people like Kane so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazaaa*

Why do so many people here like Kane so much?
Is it you a) see a ton of potential or b) think he is good already?

I mean it's great he has 30 goals, but besides a couple things, I don't really see anything that great about him.

He's fast, yes. He has a very good shot, yes. But outside that, what is there? I see a one dimensional hockey player, that you know exactly what's going to happen when he gets the puck. He has no moves, can't stick handle, and will lose the puck almost every time he tries to make a move on a defender. He never passes. All he does is shoot from any and every angle possible. The rare time he does pass, it's usually just fired in front of the net, he has no vision what so ever.

I understand he's very young, which is why I'm honestly asking, do you guys see a ton of potential in him? Or do some of you actually like what you see as of right now?

canadianhobo

Sep 15, 2011
What I see is a 20 year old who can work on stuff in the offseason to improve his overall play and someone who has the potential of being a 40 goal scorer year in and year out.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
LOL if someone does not know why a fan of a team likes a big 30 goal scoring 20 year old, then I have no idea how to explain it.

Kane has a lot of growing up to do, but the Jets will take their time and get him there. He is 20.

20 years old.

Scored 30 goals AT TWENTY.

Might want to take a look at modern day NHL stats and see how many guys have scored 30 at the age of 20.

TSN was debating whether he would be part of Canada's Olympic team in Sochi.

AT 20.

Twenty years old.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Wait, how old is he?.......

ugh, I have to stop trying to derail threads.

To be fair a lot of people don't like Kane, some for personal reasons and others for his greedy play on the ice at times. He's still young and has a lot of maturing to do, but on a team thin at offense a guy who has the ability to score 30 goals and at only 20 years old would elate a fair amount of hockey fans.

That's my take anyways.

bazaaa*

LOL if someone does not know why a fan of a team likes a big 30 goal scoring 20 year old, then I have no idea how to explain it.

Kane has a lot of growing up to do, but the Jets will take their time and get him there. He is 20.

20 years old.

Scored 30 goals AT TWENTY.

Might want to take a look at modern day NHL stats and see how many guys have scored 30 at the age of 20.

TSN was debating whether he would be part of Canada's Olympic team in Sochi.

AT 20.

Twenty years old.

So that's why for you though, 30 in the G column and that's it?

Because he's our franchise player.

So you like him because you were told to?

What I see is a 20 year old who can work on stuff in the offseason to improve his overall play and someone who has the potential of being a 40 goal scorer year in and year out.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
List of players 20 or younger to put up 30 goals since the lockout.

Ovechkin
Crosby
Stamkos
Toews
Malkin
Kopitar
Bergeron
Skinner
Evander Kane(if he scores one more goal, seems likely)

There's a solid reason right there.

EDIT: If you go back since 2000, only Kovalchuk , Gaborik and Nash are added to that list.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Kane will be a very good power forward in this league. 30 goals at age 20 with no real consistent centre. A couple more years developing and a true 1st line play making centre and he will be pushing 50 goals per season. All the stuff he gets criticised for now will be considered assets.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

To be fair a lot of people don't like Kane, some for personal reasons and others for his greedy play on the ice at times. He's still young and has a lot of maturing to do, but on a team thin at offense a guy who has the ability to score 30 goals and at only 20 years old would elate a fair amount of hockey fans.

That's my take anyways.

Sorry man, I know my post may have been a little ascerbic but ffs how can people forget how young this guy is. He is our leading goal scorer at 20 years old! I

bazaaa*

That's my take anyways.

Thanks, it was an honest question, I wanted to see people's honest responses. I'll be honest, I haven't followed hockey closely since they left, so that's why I'm asking. I mean is it because 'hey he's scored 30 goals!', or is it 'he's young, I can see him getting better here, and here' etc.

I honestly just see a good shot, and a lot of his goals were right place at the right time, which you obviously can't hold against him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So that's why for you though, 30 in the G column and that's it?

So you like him because you were told to?

Thanks.

What in the heck else do you want? He is doing something that only elite talents in this league have done! C'Mon man! Do you not think that the other 29 GM's would jump through a plate glass window to get this guy?

bazaaa*

What in the heck else do you want? He is doing something that only elite talents in this league have done! C'Mon man! Do you not think that the other 29 GM's would jump through a plate glass window to get this guy?

I compare Kane to the guys on the list above and I see a big difference in the style of play.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I don't even feel the need to reply to this one, seems like my Bro, Jet has got it covered.

Kane rocks. He'll grow up and get better. Be patient.

Moving on.

Hey anyone want to join my hockey pool?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I compare Kane to the guys on the list above and I see a big difference in the style of play.

I personally could care less if Kane shoots the puck out of his butt into the net 30 times a year. If he can continue to do that he is a very valuable player to any team, especially a team that lacks scoring depth like the Jets. Besides, he's 20, do you think he has hit his goal scoring ceiling at a very young age?

sixty minute hockey

Feb 7, 2012
Manitoba
List of players 20 or younger to put up 30 goals since the lockout.

Ovechkin
Crosby
Stamkos
Toews
Malkin
Kopitar
Bergeron
Skinner
Evander Kane(if he scores one more goal, seems likely)

There's a solid reason right there.

EDIT: If you go back since 2000, only Kovalchuk , Gaborik and Nash are added to that list.

Those guys are only the biggest names on their teams, and some the best in the NHL. No big deal. :sarcasm:

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
umwoz and Jet pretty much hit the nail on the head with this thread.

Evander is in pretty good company and has nothing but time to grow ahead of him.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
scoring 30 goals as a 20 year old is impressive...he is a player with a strong skill set.

I advocate for trading him because i believe that he will not live up to his perceived potential, which makes him more valuable now than it will in the future...the very fact that they were discussing him for the olympics proves to me that the perception of his skill exceeds its reality.

to me, he is incredibly frustrating to watch....i turned on the game for a few minutes tonight, watched him head in on a 3 on 2, completely ignore his line mates and barrel in on the defenceman who poked it away and transitioned the other way for a scoring chance....i turned it off right there and watched a great show about whales on PBS.

i consider him a selfish, one dimensional player, and i dont believe that he will change....30 goals is great but a team with little depth needs a more complete 'franchise player' than what he brings....if his perceived potential can bring us that, then i believe that we should translate him into someone who can help the team more than he does.

the jets need versatile team players to succeed....kane isnt versatile and in my opinion never will be.

30 goals is 30 goals and you cant argue with that....when i look at his game beyond the simplistic stats, i see so many shortcomings that i dont believe he mature out of....in my opinion he will never be that go to guy in the pressure situation.

i dont think he will never play on team canada....

sixty minute hockey

Feb 7, 2012
Manitoba
He's fast, yes. He has a very good shot, yes. But outside that, what is there? I see a one dimensional hockey player, that you know exactly what's going to happen when he gets the puck. He has no moves, can't stick handle, and will lose the puck almost every time he tries to make a move on a defender. He never passes. All he does is shoot from any and every angle possible. The rare time he does pass, it's usually just fired in front of the net, he has no vision what so ever.
like what you see as of right now?

So he can't stick handle eh....

Oh and he can't pass eh...

bazaaa*

scoring 30 goals as a 20 year old is impressive...he is a player with a strong skill set.

I advocate for trading him because i believe that he will not live up to his perceived potential, which makes him more valuable now than it will in the future...the very fact that they were discussing him for the olympics proves to me that the perception of his skill exceeds its reality.

to me, he is incredibly frustrating to watch....i turned on the game for a few minutes tonight, watched him head in on a 3 on 2, completely ignore his line mates and barrel in on the defenceman who poked it away and transitioned the other way for a scoring chance....i turned it off right there and watched a great show about whales on PBS.

i consider him a selfish, one dimensional player, and i dont believe that he will change....30 goals is great but a team with little depth needs a more complete 'franchise player' than what he brings....if his perceived potential can bring us that, then i believe that we should translate him into someone who can help the team more than he does.

the jets need versatile team players to succeed....kane isnt versatile and in my opinion never will be.

he will never play on team canada....

Though I disagree with almost every one of your posts, and don't understand half of them, I think you see the exact same things I see, that people seem to ignore.

I also forgot to mention the power play, whenever he is on, shooting from the worst angles possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad