OT: Why do people hate Vancouver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
Considering that I've lived in other places around North America, I can tell you that this is the best place to live for everything except for prices. If you don't think so, Feel free to go check out the other cities across North America. After the initial fun of a new city wears off, you'll realize that this place has the most complete package of things to offer. Just my 2 cents.

meh, it's too far away from anything.

i was born and raised in vancity but now live in north carolina. i feel much more central and can easily travel to pretty much anywhere cool on the eastern seaboard and even to europe.

i got pretty tired of travelling to the oregon coast, california and hawaii (as strange as that sounds)

haven't been back to vancouver since i moved here 6 years ago.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I like that people are polite but reserved and keep to themselves for the most part, must be my British heritage. The winters are tough here, very little sun which can be quite depressing and the cost of living is getting ridiculous, but every time I go abroad and visit a major city I gain an appreciation for how quaint and young Vancouver is. There aren't many other cities I would rather live in, but I feel as though I'm gradually going to be squeezed out financially, hopefully not.

One of the best food cities in the world in terms of diversity and quality, feel very lucky for that as well.

Also, if you find Vancouver boring, it's probably because you are boring. :laugh:

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Vancouver has become so vanilla and bland. I blame the politicians and the developers for tearing down every last icon and turning every square inch into a trendy condo. It's still a great place to live but I wish that people weren't so boring and image conscious. It's too predictable and corporate trendy. There's a starbucks on every corner and every woman under 50 seems to be a yoga instructor with a hand in real estate. There are few places and people with stories to tell here. Even a small town like Bellingham - the old part - is far more interesting in that regard.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
The only think I will knock Vancouver on is the expense. It has gotten ridiculous just how expensive it is to live there. That's more or less why we couldn't stay seven years ago. Shame to because I miss it. Anyone saying people in Vancouver are rude need to visit Montreal. It's like New York, but with a language bias. :laugh:

I think that is the only knock now on Vancouver. People know about it now, and the rich want to live here. Not a problem, it's nice that the city is flourishing, but when something is popular and the rich come in, people will always be negative.

Personally, I love Vancouver and won't ever leave. When I was in high-school, I made a prerogative to get a job that would withstand the ups and downs of Vancouver itself. It's a tough city to live in now, just like New York. It's just not for the faint-hearted anymore.

I live downtown and my friends always ask me about rent, many of them stay in Surrey/Langley. When I give the figure, they always cringe but that's simply the price to pay to live in one of the world's best cities. My wife and I ended up buying a place in the downtown core, although we'd like to move into a house in East Van at some point in the next 5 years.

A thing that really helps is buying a second property near a skytrain station to rent out.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
Sorry if the truth offends you.

People need to take Vancouver for what it is: a mid-sized city with some nice parks and outdoor activities. Crappy nightlife, little in terms of cultural activities, and few economic opportunities. Compared to world class cities, Vancouver is an afterthought. The notion that it's a top-10 city in the world is just preposterous.

The last decade would prove you wrong since Vancouver has been top-3 in best cities to live in.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
The title should really just be.

"Why do people hate?"

Indeed.

That blog post in OP (I question its validity) makes me wonder how someone can hate a city so much yet still live here for 11 years.

Fairweather

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
Some of what I hate about living in Vancouver besides the obvious in cost are:

1) People who feel the need to remind me that Vancouver is one of the best places to live

2) People who feel the need to tell me that Vancouver is an overrated place to live

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Born and raised in Winnipeg, never really got behind it.

Moved to Calgary, meh absolute boredom.

Finally moved here and I have never regretted it since..

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Vancouver is routinely ranked as one of the best cites in the entire world to live in. So I'll take the negative opinions with a grain of salt. That being said I wish it would rain a tad less :)

Not sure if someone commented on this or not but the fact that its in a rain forest is a big part of the reason for Vancouvers beauty keeps everything so green! So if you want to live in one of the greenest city in NA you gotta take the rain

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Not sure if someone commented on this or not but the fact that its in a rain forest is a big part of the reason for Vancouvers beauty keeps everything so green! So if you want to live in one of the greenest city in NA you gotta take the rain

I'm no geo______ist, but I'm pretty sure Vancouver's not in a rain forest.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I'm no geo______ist, but I'm pretty sure Vancouver's not in a rain forest.

Pretty sure it is actually. Perhaps not the city, but the surrounding area and coast line is considered a temperate rain forest.

Personally, Vancouver got too congested for me, I don't mind it and I travel for work anyway, but I set up shop mostly in the interior and Alberta now. I don't think people hate Vancouver at all. If anything it's just too busy and expensive for some folks.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Last year, after a small trip to Van I decided to Google the city and it's reputation. Needless to say I had an amazing time. The amount of restaurant and shopping options is through the roof. I came home and specifically searched "vancouver world class city" just to see how many people held that view.

It seemed, judging by the results, that very few do. The amount of people who, not dislike, but downright loathe Vancouver is crazy. So many people just seem to hate it, even for reasons that apply to many cities. It's as if Vancouver is that token city that's cool to hate.

Maybe it's because I grew up in a small town that I really love Vancouver, but why is it so hated?

as hockey fans we deserve 99% of the garbage tossed our way. Never hear anyone complain about us as being mean or nasty for anything else

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
my answer, necroed from a different thread from a while back:

it's not just hockey, it's the whole country over many different aspects of culture. basically you see more and more animosity towards the city starting in 1986 (expo), getting steadily higher through the 90s when vancouver was topping all those best city in the world lists, and coming to a crazy full-on hate clusterpuck after the 2010 olympics. i was living in toronto around that time and you never saw so many bruins jerseys on the streets of toronto during the 2011 finals. in every restaurant, corner store, bar i went to the week after, every doofus on every subway and streetcar, was laughing and high fiving about vancouver "trashing their city."

why did the country (including the major media outlets) point and laugh at vancouver after the riots in '94, and full-on cyberbully canucks fans after the 2011 riots? because the country, but especially toronto and calgary, is really pucking sick of hearing for the last 27 years how beautiful and amazing vancouver is.

none of this has really anything to do with our hockey team, which as my brother (a non-hockey fan) said during the finals, is objectively is a very hard group to root for. but if you're wondering why the extreme negativity towards the canucks, to a degree that far outweighs the also high level of animosity towards the flames, oilers, sens, and habs (often for similar reasons of choking and/or stale core and/or lack of toughness), this is your answer.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
My biggest program with Vancouver (and Vancouver Island) is that it is friggin expensive and hard to travel anywhere that isn't right nearby. My friends living out east can go to Europe for the same price it takes me to visit them and in about the same time. Don't get me wrong, Oregon, California and Washington state are all nice places but I wouldn't mind a bit more variety in my travels every now and then.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The riots give the city a black eye.

The cost of living is ridiculous.

Our mayor is a moron.

The Asian signs everywhere that aren't in English is getting ridiculous.

But I love this city :laugh:

A lot of the hate comes from Alberta and specifically Edmonton. If people don't like it here, who cares. Doesn't bother me.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No offense but you must have boring friends or be a boring person to just straight-up think that Vancouver is a boring place. Perhaps you just really enjoy drinking alcohol and are mad about the prices? I'm specifically wondering what you did in your time in Vancouver.
Usually involves being turned down by a girl.

Just to add: spent a week in Anaheim and anytime people asked where I was from and I said Vancouver, they all said great things about the city and those that hadn't been there almost always said it was on their list of places to visit.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I agree on the polite, but I also find that we're (I don't claim to be superior) more closed than other maybe more brusque residents of places like New York. Striking up conversations with random Vancouverites can be hard to do, though pleasantries are easy if that's your thing. Service is also the friendliest of any city I've been to, though not as friendly as in small towns and often of the cloying and fake variety. Still, it's nice after you've been buffeted around in Berlin cafes for a while.

I'm here now after living on the East Coast, Toronto, and Saskatchewan. I've spent a lot of time in Montreal, Seattle and San Francisco/Bay Area, and I've been to most of the major cities in the US except NYC (well technically I have but too young) and the southern states.

What you say is totally true. The social dynamic in Vancouver is very superficial. People are 'nice' but there is often no substance to your interactions with them. Groups of friends are very clique-y and closed. The dating scene here is just ... weird. I guarantee you it is easier to 200% easier to date anywhere else in the country, and this has been repeatedly corroborated by co-workers who have moved here from Europe and Toronto/Montreal.

I heard it said that it easier to get laid in Vancouver than date (unless it is incestuously within your closed social circle), and I think that's extremely accurate. That to me symbolizes the whole situation here. It is easier to get a meaningless interaction like casual sex than it is to develop something meaningful.

In terms of art and culture, this city is surprisingly dead. Several stage actors tell me it is easier to make a living in Calgary. The art gallery scene is similarly clique-y and generally expensive. The indie music scene isn't superior to the rest of Canada.

Partying is horrid, which isn't that much of an issue for me as I've been trying to live a much cleaner life since getting here. But if I was still in my party days I would much rather be in Toronto or Montreal - it's more concentrated and less inhibited.

The job market ... yeah, not so good as a whole. Of course some sectors are strong here like anywhere but it just doesn't have the overall earning potential, plus everything is so expensive.

Fun, random things are difficult here. It's nigh impossible to go somewhere cool at 5AM like I used to. Hell, I would settle for being able to eat somewhere decent at that time. You can't get super messed up and stay out because there aren't that many cheap modes of transportation - skytrain is closed ridiculously early and cabs are exorbitantly expensive.

Having said that, this place is breathtakingly beautiful. I've been here for 8 years and at least every other day I have a "I can't believe I live here" moment. The women are gorgeous. The weed is amazing. I don't have to shovel in the winter. I don't feel like I am lining my lungs with soot when I breathe. The water comes out of the tap clean. Golf is accessible (if not as numerous) and relatively cheap. Ditto for snow and water sports although I am not as into them. There are a decent amount of rinks for hockey and of course Vancouver can't be beat for just getting out into nature and hiking. Sushi ... seriously, seafood could be the sole reason to live here. In general there is a lot of good ethnic food. Beaches are stupidly convenient.

In short, I love it here. Haters gonna hate.

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
I personally like people from the Island a lot better than people from Vancouver.

So lets begin.

I sometimes get this feeling that a lot of people are really into themselves, really smug. People won't shut up about being vegan or doing yoga. Too many hipsters. People are consumed by trends. The people who live downtown Vancouver think they are better than the people who live in the burbs.

****** drivers. ****** bicyclists. ****** Mayor. Transit sucks and smells like B.O.

Hockey team can't win ****. Lions are in the CFL, who cares.

The best Vancouverite of all time is from another province.

The mountains are too close. It rains too much. Summer is too short.

Everything is expensive. Too many damn condos.

We suck. I hate myself.

Oh and no more David Booth. What an awful city.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
Having spent 4 months in another city, I'd have to say I would still live in Vancouver (granted, if I can continue to afford to). It's a case of "you don't know what you've got until it's gone". The air, the water, the outdoors, decent transit for a smaller city, polite (but generally cold) people etc. is pretty good.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Having spent 4 months in another city, I'd have to say I would still live in Vancouver (granted, if I can continue to afford to). It's a case of "you don't know what you've got until it's gone". The air, the water, the outdoors, decent transit for a smaller city, polite (but generally cold) people etc. is pretty good.

Vancouver is not a small city, we want to think that way, but Vancouver is not a small city. Edmonton and Calgary are small cities. when you factor all the surrounding areas as well--Vancouver is a very large city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad