OT: Why do people hate Vancouver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I would like to add, from a sports perspective, that the reason Vancouver is perceived as a bandwagon city is because there is a heavy resistance to globalized corporate pressure, even if it is almost omnipresent. Sports are just diversions from other trash billionaires and politicians are pulling elsewhere, but it's nice to see your hometown team get recognition and succeed. Most people would rather lace their own shoes here than buy the latest Nike kicks, for example, but if they're getting them for free they'll still reluctantly rock them.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
:laugh: I don't think I ever want to go there tbh. I hear Quebec City is nice though. The thing I found with Vancouver, is you could walk around all day, and it was always teeming with people, and at the end of the day I'd be like "can people even see me?" it's like no one acknowledges each other there. In Calgary you can at least get some eye contact and be assured that you are still corporeal.

About that bolded part...

We parked in a neighborhood near downtown one day and I waited in the car for about 20 minutes as the wife had an appointment...
And the people on the street were like a scene in the video game GTA... just kept coming and going, constant life on the streets... so many different people, and tonne of beautiful people... it was as entertaining as anything to just people watch...
Being from North Delta, and now South Surrey... it was fascinating to see just how alive Vancouver really is.

Robongo01

May 13, 2013
Vancouver
Lol, If you think people in Vancouver are rude then I don't know what you would call folks in the downtown Toronto area. I had the unfortunate experience of living there and my god are the people stuck up. Friendly hello's in elevators often times unreciprocated and followed by pulling out their phone and pretending to use it. No courtesy on the roads whatsoever. When trying to merge you're met with people literally driving bumper to bumper just to not let you in. I've driven in Europe and it boasts some of the craziest drivers I've seen. Toronto is quite a lot like that. Almost everyone I met or spoke to was arrogant and had a huge stick up their ass. That experience really made me appreciate our city even more than before.

May 31, 2006
A big reason is that Vancouver residents are very arrogant in thinking that their city is the greatest in the world. When in reality it's a very mediocre, boring place.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
A big reason is that Vancouver residents are very arrogant in thinking that their city is the greatest in the world. When in reality it's a very mediocre, boring place.
No offense but you must have boring friends or be a boring person to just straight-up think that Vancouver is a boring place. Perhaps you just really enjoy drinking alcohol and are mad about the prices? I'm specifically wondering what you did in your time in Vancouver.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
The problem with Vancouver after living here for my entire life has been that its best traits can be beaten elsewhere while it's rarely the "worst" in any other given criteria. What I mean to say is that anyone coming from elsewhere will easily find something to complain about and feel that the "better" traits the city has to offer are just masking where it falls off. Popular example would be people seeing the downtown eastside and saying "wow, how could it be so expensive to live here? Look at how crummy this street is". That same person will go up Grouse Mountain and say "wow, it's a great view, better than anything in my home city, too bad it's just covering up the drug use". Stanley Park is great, but it has less to offer than Central Park in New York. The summer is mild, but short, and summers in Calgary and Montreal are arguably much better. The city might have lots of outdoor activities, but does it have the hustle and bustle of Toronto?

The biggest problem with Vancouver is that it quickly shot up from small, regional powerhouse to world class city in the span of 20 years. Population has more than doubled since the 80s, especially if you look at connected places like the Fraser Valley which is only "not-Vancouver" as a technicality, in my opinion. Additionally, a big problem is that a lot of the racial diversity is actually very segmented, with certain districts being way more weighted than others and I think that DOES leave to a silent, lighthearted racism that propagates everywhere but hides itself well from tourists.

That being said, I've traveled a decent amount. I'm currently on vacation in the Balkans and I just returned from a weekend trip to Rome. Rome ****ing sucks. I'm sorry but it sucks so much I can't even explain how much of a tourist trap it is. If you think Vancouver is anything near some of the other big "Western" cities in terms of presenting a facade to newcomers, you're just wrong. "Big" cities have their problems and the people in Vancouver aren't used to seeing them in their city yet, but it's far from a rough place and it literally has something to offer anyone. Calgarians are lucky to have their summer blue skies and Stampede, but as soon as winter turns itself in, we all know where we'd rather be.

Ya I wasn't a big fan of Rome... Florence, on the other hand, was amazing. Didn't care for Milan either.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I think because people migrate here from all over the country a lot of residents miss things about home. Culturally, environmentally, Vancouver is quite different. It has more in common with Washington, Oregon and California than it does with anything east of the Rockies. A lot of the things people don't like about Vancouver are things that can be said about any big city, but in Canada there are just one or two other examples of cities this size. Lets face it, Vancouverites are a mixed bag of Canadian, and international people. Some people don't like that, but I'm happy to trade all the chuck wagon racing and Tim Hortons in the world for a wet/green environment and amazing international food!

Edit: I've also traveled a fair bit, and every time I get off the plane at YVR I'm always stuck by the clean smell that the air has, and am happy to be home. There's a lot of amazing places to live in the world but Vancouver is pretty darn nice after seeing places like Shanghai.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
I like it here but let's be honest, it's extremely overrated.

Do you live in the city proper? I live in the West End and I love every single moment of it. The food, the people, the events, seawall, Stanley Park, Grouse just over the bridge, Granville Island ten minutes away, etc. I would say it's exactly as rated - a Top 10 city in the world. Many people will disagree of course.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Considering that I've lived in other places around North America, I can tell you that this is the best place to live for everything except for prices. If you don't think so, Feel free to go check out the other cities across North America. After the initial fun of a new city wears off, you'll realize that this place has the most complete package of things to offer. Just my 2 cents.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Anyone saying people in Vancouver are rude is either from a small town or has not traveled much abroad. Seriously, these people need to get some perspective :laugh: Every time I come home, I notice how polite most people are here compared to most other places (CBSA agents excluded, of course)

On the subject of rain, can you imagine how expensive this place would be if we had sunshine all year round?

That's just not true at all.

After New York and Los Angeles vancouver has the rudest, least personable people in the world.
Toronto is also on the list for sure.

The rain is one of the only things I miss about vancouver.

bo2shink*

This is the type of hilarity this board needs more of.

bo2shink*

After New York and Los Angeles vancouver has the rudest, least personable people in the world.

Then you were missing a lot of the great parts.

bo2shink*

I like it here but let's be honest, it's extremely overrated.

Overrated how?

I am not sure if I should pity the people who think Vancouver isn't fun or just be happy it's one less person getting in my way.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
a lot of Vancouver amenities are taken for granted.

Then the fact it is surrounded by easily accessible outdoor activities that i love.

The prices suck and the nightlife could definitely improve a lot but there is still lots to do.

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation

Wow, really? I disagree.

What other large international cities have you been to that had nicer people? For reference, I've been to Bangkok, HK, Tokyo, Amsterdam, London, Frankfurt plus some tourist traps like Cancun, Ibiza, Varadero, etc. I would say that people in Vancouver are definitely more polite than all of those places.

ArtG

Feb 9, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I grew up here and still live here, but I tend to agree with this. I've traveled a lot and would be hard pressed to put Vancouver up in the highest echelon of "world class" cities. However, I don't think mediocre is the right term. Mostly just smallish, boring and lacking in diversity.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Why not both?

I think there's a lot to like about Vancouver (or rather the whole area).

Hard to get a place where there's the option for mountains, beaches, nightlife etc all in one small area (granted none are exceptional compared to elsewhere but there is a lot of options).

But ya... too expensive.

bo2shink*

I grew up here and still live here, but I tend to agree with this. I've traveled a lot and would be hard pressed to put Vancouver up in the highest echelon of "world class" cities. However, I don't think mediocre is the right term. Mostly just smallish, boring and lacking in diversity.

Again with the boring. Sorry to hear that for you.

For a smaller city it is far from lacking in diversity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad