OT: Why do people hate Vancouver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Last year, after a small trip to Van I decided to Google the city and it's reputation. Needless to say I had an amazing time. The amount of restaurant and shopping options is through the roof. I came home and specifically searched "vancouver world class city" just to see how many people held that view.

It seemed, judging by the results, that very few do. The amount of people who, not dislike, but downright loathe Vancouver is crazy. So many people just seem to hate it, even for reasons that apply to many cities. It's as if Vancouver is that token city that's cool to hate.

Maybe it's because I grew up in a small town that I really love Vancouver, but why is it so hated?

Peter Skudra

Nucks fan since '02
Nov 10, 2013
Seattle with JNelson
Vancouver is routinely ranked as one of the best cites in the entire world to live in. So I'll take the negative opinions with a grain of salt. That being said I wish it would rain a tad less :)

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
It's funny, the general consensus here in Calgary is every wishes they could live in Vancouver. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for moving out here. Honestly I'm the only person I know who doesn't like the city of Vancouver. It's just not for me, I found it busy, unfriendly and many parts quite grungy. And I couldn't take the clouds. That's not to say it didn't have redeeming qualities. On a sunny day you'd be hard pressed to find better scenery in a major city, and you can't beat Stanley Park.

Too bad the local hockey team sucks. :sarcasm:

edit: Also I have a general rule of thumb that only bad things happen to me in Vancouver. It's a weird historical trend. Just don't have a good relationship with the city.

Last edited:

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
With anything in life - cities, movies, music, food, hockey players, etc - there are going to be haters. When they realise they are in the minority, they become more vocal about it. The bigger the "thing" is, the more haters there are, and the louder they are.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Jealousy.
People that don't live in vancouver just pretend that they hate it because they can't live there and they live in way worse places like Toronto. The people that live in vancouver love it.

That being said I think vancouver sucks big time and leaving was the greatest thing I ever did.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
The only think I will knock Vancouver on is the expense. It has gotten ridiculous just how expensive it is to live there. That's more or less why we couldn't stay seven years ago. Shame to because I miss it. Anyone saying people in Vancouver are rude need to visit Montreal. It's like New York, but with a language bias. :laugh:

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Anyone saying people in Vancouver are rude is either from a small town or has not traveled much abroad. Seriously, these people need to get some perspective :laugh: Every time I come home, I notice how polite most people are here compared to most other places (CBSA agents excluded, of course)

On the subject of rain, can you imagine how expensive this place would be if we had sunshine all year round?

bo2shink*

Last year, after a small trip to Van I decided to Google the city and it's reputation. Needless to say I had an amazing time. The amount of restaurant and shopping options is through the roof. I came home and specifically searched "vancouver world class city" just to see how many people held that view.

It seemed, judging by the results, that very few do. The amount of people who, not dislike, but downright loathe Vancouver is crazy. So many people just seem to hate it, even for reasons that apply to many cities. It's as if Vancouver is that token city that's cool to hate.

Maybe it's because I grew up in a small town that I really love Vancouver, but why is it so hated?

Not very scientific but I am always surprised to see how many fans of other NHL teams have moved here and can only say bad things about the city.

I'd also bet many of the haters have never actually been here.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
The only think I will knock Vancouver on is the expense. It has gotten ridiculous just how expensive it is to live there. That's more or less why we couldn't stay seven years ago. Shame to because I miss it. Anyone saying people in Vancouver are rude need to visit Montreal. It's like New York, but with a language bias. :laugh:

:laugh: I don't think I ever want to go there tbh. I hear Quebec City is nice though. The thing I found with Vancouver, is you could walk around all day, and it was always teeming with people, and at the end of the day I'd be like "can people even see me?" it's like no one acknowledges each other there. In Calgary you can at least get some eye contact and be assured that you are still corporeal.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I don't know about abroad, but in BC, Vancouver is like the provincial version of Toronto. It gets the lion's share of the attention. That's bound to cause resentment.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
:laugh: I don't think I ever want to go there tbh. I hear Quebec City is nice though. The thing I found with Vancouver, is you could walk around all day, and it was always teeming with people, and at the end of the day I'd be like "can people even see me?" it's like no one acknowledges each other there. In Calgary you can at least get some eye contact and be assured that you are still corporeal.

Yeah, that's a big complaint I hear from people who moved here.

bo2shink*

Montreal is ******* awesome.

Quebec City on the other hand can be difficult if your french isn't great.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
When both my parents retired, there reason for moving to Hawaii (outside of living in hawaii) was the growing amount of asian and punjabi people across the lower mainland.

They're pretty racist people.

bo2shink*

When both my parents retired, there reason for moving to Hawaii (outside of living in hawaii) was the growing amount of asian and punjabi people across the lower mainland.

Old, white racists? No way!! I think if you're over 65, you aren't racist but just immune to tolerance and change.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Anyone saying people in Vancouver are rude is either from a small town or has not traveled much abroad. Seriously, these people need to get some perspective :laugh: Every time I come home, I notice how polite most people are here compared to most other places (CBSA agents excluded, of course)

On the subject of rain, can you imagine how expensive this place would be if we had sunshine all year round?

Yeah that's pretty much me. When I went to New York I swear I almost had a ****ing heart attack I was so stressed out just by the sheer volume of people.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I don't know about abroad, but in BC, Vancouver is like the provincial version of Toronto. It gets the lion's share of the attention. That's bound to cause resentment.

That's actually what I like about Vancouver. The biggest reason why BC is well known is because of Vancouver. Non-Vancouverite British Columbians should be thankful of the city.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

Yeah, Asians don't own half of Hawaii or anything.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
The problem with Vancouver after living here for my entire life has been that its best traits can be beaten elsewhere while it's rarely the "worst" in any other given criteria. What I mean to say is that anyone coming from elsewhere will easily find something to complain about and feel that the "better" traits the city has to offer are just masking where it falls off. Popular example would be people seeing the downtown eastside and saying "wow, how could it be so expensive to live here? Look at how crummy this street is". That same person will go up Grouse Mountain and say "wow, it's a great view, better than anything in my home city, too bad it's just covering up the drug use". Stanley Park is great, but it has less to offer than Central Park in New York. The summer is mild, but short, and summers in Calgary and Montreal are arguably much better. The city might have lots of outdoor activities, but does it have the hustle and bustle of Toronto?

The biggest problem with Vancouver is that it quickly shot up from small, regional powerhouse to world class city in the span of 20 years. Population has more than doubled since the 80s, especially if you look at connected places like the Fraser Valley which is only "not-Vancouver" as a technicality, in my opinion. Additionally, a big problem is that a lot of the racial diversity is actually very segmented, with certain districts being way more weighted than others and I think that DOES leave to a silent, lighthearted racism that propagates everywhere but hides itself well from tourists.

That being said, I've traveled a decent amount. I'm currently on vacation in the Balkans and I just returned from a weekend trip to Rome. Rome ****ing sucks. I'm sorry but it sucks so much I can't even explain how much of a tourist trap it is. If you think Vancouver is anything near some of the other big "Western" cities in terms of presenting a facade to newcomers, you're just wrong. "Big" cities have their problems and the people in Vancouver aren't used to seeing them in their city yet, but it's far from a rough place and it literally has something to offer anyone. Calgarians are lucky to have their summer blue skies and Stampede, but as soon as winter turns itself in, we all know where we'd rather be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad