Why did the teenaged Crosby get more hate than McDavid is getting now?

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Clearly, we all had the feeling that McDavid would end up in Edmonton. That's
enough...no need to pile on any further!:laugh:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Crosby whines way too much, goes down/falls/embellishes way too much, always looking to the refs for a call way too much? Just shut up and play the ****ing game already. He did score THE goal so he does have a free pass on some things!

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Crosby plays a type of game that makes other players frustrated. He's hard to take the puck from and because he works behinds the boards, it's easier for other players to cheapshot him. The reason Crosby whines is because he gets targeted and no penalty was called. I think most people here don't seem to realize that, he whines but it's mostly because of the unfair attention he gets from opposing players.

McDavid doesn't play the grinding game Crosby does, hence other players don't get much chance to drape themselves around and assault him. No reason for McDavid to whine or Dive when the ref can see everything happening to him out in the open rather than in a board battle

LaCarriere

Watching Crosby in the Memorial Cup it was hard to like the guy. All the whining and complaining being the next great one while London Knights made him look like a pewee throwing a tantrum.

I was coming to post this.

For a guy who was the second coming of gretzky, it was down right sad to see him whine, complain, and snap his neck back on every hit and roll around on the ice.

I think his *****iness at the start of his career is what caused the criticism, and deservingly so.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Sour Cherry

Nothing?

When even Cherry talks about how Crosby has turned the league against him because of his antics, it's bad.

This old fool, playing to the Toronto market, made it up. Same with Mario and other French as well as euro players on other than Buds teams. 99 was 10x the whiner and his beloved #4 was 20x.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Outside of the Pens rival fans, I think most of us have come to like, or at least respect, Crosby. That wasn't always the case though. Before he was drafted, and certainly early in his NHL career, it was rare for someone to like Crosby.

Why doesn't McDavid receive that same level of hate? Or I guess the better question would be why did Crosby get so much hate?

I always suspected it had something to do with it just being the cool thing to do (for lack of a better phrase) and I kind of assumed that eventually McDavid would be criticized just as heavily. That doesn't seem to be happening. A lot of hockey fans seem to be almost celebrating that a kid like McDavid will be entering the league next season...and they should be, but they probably should have been celebrating Crosby as well. He really has met the hype and has been great for the game.

I know some people will say "we just feel sorry for him because he's going to Edmonton" but that's not really the case. It's not like there has been a change of opinion on him since the lottery....and it's not like the Pens were a team that everyone was lining up to go to in the years leading up to them getting Crosby. Outside of the chance to play with Lemieux, people felt bad for Crosby too.

I neither like nor respect Crosby. He is whiny as others have suggested, but pretty much everything about his personality is not likable to me. I also think he is a terrible captain, I know I would have real trouble with that if i was a player.

I respect his skills but not the person.

I also don't have much of an opinion either way on McDavid, I have only watched him a few times but he hasn't looked like he was acting like a spoiled brat like Crosby appears to me to act at times. If he acts like Crosby, I won't like him either.

I also seem to remember almost everyone that I knew loving Crosby when he came into the league and it wasn't until he started playing in the NHL that people started to dislike him. These are people who didn't really watch or follow his junior career. If McDavid behaves the same way then he will be disliked as well.

Last edited:

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
This old fool, playing to the Toronto market, made it up. Same with Mario and other French as well as euro players on other than Buds teams. 99 was 10x the whiner and his beloved #4 was 20x.

I would say Gretzky would whine just as much but you are crazy if you think Orr whined like that. The difference between Gretzky and Crosby is that Gretzky whined but he didn't do all of the dirty work that Crosby does. It makes it very hard for me to like someone who whines about the very things he does to the opposition. Actually Crosby whines about far lesser things than he does to opposing players.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Crosby plays a type of game that makes other players frustrated. He's hard to take the puck from and because he works behinds the boards, it's easier for other players to cheapshot him. The reason Crosby whines is because he gets targeted and no penalty was called. I think most people here don't seem to realize that, he whines but it's mostly because of the unfair attention he gets from opposing players.

McDavid doesn't play the grinding game Crosby does, hence other players don't get much chance to drape themselves around and assault him. No reason for McDavid to whine or Dive when the ref can see everything happening to him out in the open rather than in a board battle

When you're the best player in the world, you will get the attention of the players on the other side. They hack, they slash, but you've got to suck it up. Like Cherry said : "You can't be the best player in the world and expect to get a free ride."

Hell, the great Lemieux would score goals with people riding on his back.
Crosby receives cheap shots, but he also gives them. Young Sid used to ***** about just everything, including hats raining on the ice after a hat trick.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
Outside of the Pens rival fans, I think most of us have come to like, or at least respect, Crosby. That wasn't always the case though. Before he was drafted, and certainly early in his NHL career, it was rare for someone to like Crosby.

I do not like or respect him.

For me, I associate him with an era in hockey that was particularly annoying. I got so freaking sick of the constant "Nontradition doesnt deserve a team, redneckville" treatment that Nashville seemed to constantly be getting from up north. Then on top of that, there was a year long gush fest over Crosby. Everything in the media made me want to throw up, I just got sick of hearing everything that came out of TSN.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Back it up, lol? None of this stuff can be proven as fact. You can pull out video on Crosby, you can also pull out video on every player in the league (all except Barkov. That guy's a robot. But I digress, lol). The only difference is the other players are not as high profile as Crosby, so nobody cares.

Exactly.

People act as if embellishing is something only a certain few is able to/has the nerve to pull off. It's a league wide phenomenon.

Same applies to "whining".

Saku11

Jan 25, 2010
Because people want so bad to be unique little snowflakes. "Hockey hipsters" i would say.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Sitting down watching a Ranger capitals game back in 2009.. Heard Crosby mentioned more then any player and the penguins were not even playing. There is problem 1.

When I tried to watch him and like him he puts up the most boring points and plays a boring style of hockey. Ovechkin was entertaining and naturally garnered people 's attention with his style of play. Heck a dominate malkin is more entertaining then a dominate Crosby.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I was live at the Canada-US new years eve game at the World Juniors.

McDavid wasnt 100% sharp yet, and wasnt able to stickhandle or skate to his top level. And yet he impressed the heck out of me for 2 reasons:

1. His all-around game was impressive. Defensively sound, didnt really hog the puck, quick distributions, and obviously accepted any role
2. He didnt make the game about himself. This was not him vs Jack Eichel. It was Canada vs the US. He didnt care at all about the play of his counterpart, who I personally felt was more involved offensively than Connor (they both had assists)

For me, the maturity of Connor is impressive. To me he is like Tavares in that sense. Neither comes across as the friendliest person in the world, and yet very mature.

bombers15

5-14-6-1
Mar 17, 2008
Because he ran his mouth as a teen, but backed it up.

People nowadays are just delusional. He doesn't whine and hasn't for YEARS. He runs his mouth when people challenge him, but trolls consider it whining. However, when someone else does it, they're being a bad ass or in Toews case, "A STRONG LEADER"

He gets a bad reputation for something he did as a child.

Bang on.

Also, there was a YouTube clip I watched some time ago about the history of the Pens/Flyers rivalry. Anyway, they basically pinpointed the moment Crosby became Enemy #1 in Philly. Hatcher gave him a cheapshot in the face that resulted in him bleeding. No penalty, so Crosby complained to the refs. Fans called that whining. Crosby then scored the OT goal.

That basically summarizes all of the Crosby hate.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Crosby in his draft year never had a foil like Eichel to split the spotlight. Instead of people focusing on his game and debating who is or would be better, people had to nitpick him since he had no real peer and whining was a natural thing to focus on. Had another stud player like a Stamkos been in that same draft I doubt Crosby would have been so universally nitpicked.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
With so much hype....and subsequent press/coverage....unless hes on your team....you get bored of crosby 24/7....

Hey he deserves alot of coverage during his career..due to his skill...etc.
But after awhile its too much....

And whether its all crosby....soon to be all mcdavid...or its ateam all Tor

Hey we get it large population draw for certain teams or players...and media who tend to extrapolate the BIG STORIES to the exclusion of other stories or people....then those people or teams...become the target of frustrated fans.

We have been and will always be hockey fans....welike it all....when force fed...one course (however great that one course is)...we want all the courses.

Even if that one course plays on our team.

Don t forget the great one was a huge whiner too......we tend to temper that with age....the longer since his retirement. ......we still appreciate the talent.. ..but over exposure is still over exposure.

In

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad