Why did the teenaged Crosby get more hate than McDavid is getting now?

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Because he ran his mouth as a teen, but backed it up.

People nowadays are just delusional. He doesn't whine and hasn't for YEARS. He runs his mouth when people challenge him, but trolls consider it whining. However, when someone else does it, they're being a bad ass or in Toews case, "A STRONG LEADER"

He gets a bad reputation for something he did as a child.

Just quoting this because it's probably the best post in this thread.

Also, I hope one day that people who call Crosby a whiner realize that they are in fact, constantly whining about Crosby.

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
Because Crosby was better than mcdavid and destroyed the q those 2 years he played in it. Also every team had a shot at him that year, plus there was no eichel in his draft for the team that got 2

Tunez33

Mar 29, 2013
He had a right to. I couldn't believe how much cross checking, etc Oshawa was getting away with on him. They had to drape 2-3 guys on him every time he was in close.

But that's literally the same thing that happens to Crosby when he is complaining to the refs about it lol

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
I don't hear Crosby called a diver or a whiner much anymore despite how many times people want to be his knight in shining armor on here.

He whined, he dove, people didn't like him. I haven't heard/seen McDavid whining or diving so he doesn't get the reputation. Shocking, isn't it?

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I don't hear Crosby called a diver or a whiner much anymore despite how many times people want to be his knight in shining armor on here.

He whined, he dove, people didn't like him. I haven't heard/seen McDavid whining or diving so he doesn't get the reputation. Shocking, isn't it?
What player in the NHL doesn't whine and dive? McDavid hasn't even played in the league yet. No one cared what Crosby was doing before he got to the league. We have to wait and see what will happen when McDavid gets in the league, the same thing could happen to him that happened to Crosby, maybe not, we don't know yet. Crosby's in the spotlight other players are not, therefore nobody pays enough attention to them to be bothered by them.

Last edited:

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
With Crosby, there was always the debate: Who's better between Crosby and Ovechkin? I think the division of fans into one of those two camps led to a lot of hate being sent in both directions for those two players. If the McDavid-Eichel rivalry can be at that same level, there will be more dislike of McDavid in the seasons to come but I get the feeling that Ovechkin-Crosby was closer in skill and more heated in debate than McDavid-Eichel will be but time will tell.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Because he is whiny as hell, throws cheap shots together with his buddy Malkin and instantly dives if someone as much as breathes on him. His skill doesn't matter, when his attitude is terrible. Same combination as Subban (minus the whining, he only throws cheap shots and turtles/ dives) and that's why he's not particulary liked either.

None of this has anything to do with the original question, which leads me to believe that people who hold this opinion of Crosby simply can't read, which makes me feel better.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Different context. Crosby was drafted in 2005. Really think about coverage over ten years ago in context to the sport of hockey. And on a boarder level, coverage of anything at all. Crosby came at a time where we had no broad context of how individuals view "playing" the sport of hockey. Crosby's public image was solely of how he appeared to play on the ice, which was like a piece of crap. So people thought he was a piece of crap really before understanding that sometimes it's good to play like a piece of crap if you're the best at it.

FoppaForsberg*

Because he was a whiny little **** head. And still is pretty whiny.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
1. As a hockey fan from Philadelphia who didn't (and still doesn't) watch junior hockey, I had no opinion whatsoever on Crosby before he was drafted, aside from the fact that I wanted the Flyers to win the lottery.

2. Even when Pittsburgh won the lottery and thus, Crosby, I still had no opinion whatsoever on Crosby.

3. I began to hate Crosby from the very first game he played against the Flyers. He dove, he whined, he seemed like an entitled brat. That first season the hate just intensified with each game so that by the end of it, I despised him.

It's really as simple as all of that. I don't know that I've ever hated another player the way I hate Crosby, and at different points of my life I've hated Gretzky, Jagr, Dale Hunter, Scott Stevens, Claude Lemieux, Tie Domi, Darius Kasparaitis, Ulf Samuelsson, Dominik Hasek, Martin Brodeur, Matthew Barnaby, and so on and so on.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
people were jealous of him. Normal hockey every day hockey fans were mad at him because Gretzky believes he can be better then him, and said He can break some of his records. that didn't go well for some reason , and since then people wanted him to fail.

the diving and whinning is an excuse they are using to slam him.

what are they going to say" "I hate him for nothing?" they are using the whinning and diving as a weapon.

So do they really have valid reason to accuse of him diving? hell no, there are players that do that all that time, yet they are getting away with it. Dustin Brown is a notorious diver.

anyways, one thing I also know, your not hated for no reason. Your probably the best to be this badly hated or one of the best. For example, non hockey related. Apple inc.

New England Patriots?

Sidney crosby.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Actually from what I recall, everyone liked him because everyone had a chance to get him on their team.

Once he went somewhere else, well, all bets were off.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Every player is criticized based on what the media wants them to be. McDavid will be no different. Once he is in the league, like everyone else, the casuals will listen to the media and the media will have their way.

Like someone said, Everyone hates you when you play, but once you are gone everyone loves you. This is why people constantly say the players who play in the past are the greatest ever, even when some of them were hated.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Crosby whined a lot when he got into the league.

Many other premiere players came into the league and didn't get the reputation, solely because they didn't do it as much, as well as having the microscope on them.

Crosby whined, but it was also noticed EVERYTIME. He is/was the NHL's darling, so the more he is forcefed, the more people notice the positives and negatives in his game. Other players came in the same time, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc and didn't get the same reputation because they simply did not do it as much. They may have done it, but Crosby was fairly notorious for it.

As someone who is not a fan of Crosby and despises the Penguins, he has grown up A LOT. Watching him play and interact now is a world of difference than when he came into the league.

We'll see how McDavid breaks in, and see his temperament on the ice. It could be a world of difference, or perhaps maybe he ends up being a bigger whiner than Crosby? Who knows.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why did the teenaged Crosby get more hate than McDavid is getting now?

Crosby whines: I told you. I wake up every day, right here, right in Pittsburgh, and it's always October 8th.....2005.

Last edited:

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
people were jealous of him. Normal hockey every day hockey fans were mad at him because Gretzky believes he can be better then him, and said He can break some of his records. that didn't go well for some reason , and since then people wanted him to fail.

the diving and whinning is an excuse they are using to slam him.

what are they going to say" "I hate him for nothing?" they are using the whinning and diving as a weapon.

So do they really have valid reason to accuse of him diving? hell no, there are players that do that all that time, yet they are getting away with it. Dustin Brown is a notorious diver.

anyways, one thing I also know, your not hated for no reason. Your probably the best to be this badly hated or one of the best. For example, non hockey related. Apple inc.

New England Patriots?

Sidney crosby.

Yes, we're jealous of him, or we don't want him to break Gretzky's records, or whatever other out of left-field reason you want to attribute to us that leaves him blameless. It couldn't possibly be that his actual on-ice behavior earned him a plethora of detractors, that would just be too far-fetched.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
- Gretzky got a ton of hate.
- Lemieux got a ton of hate.
- Lindros got a ton of hate.
- Crosby got a ton of hate.
- McDavid WILL get a ton of hate.

Every hyped player gets it. All of the above have been called out as "whiners". It just hasn't started yet for McDavid because he hasn't started beating people's favorite teams/players, and not enough people have been watching him night in night out to pick on any of his failings.

And there are already signs of hate... at the WJC he got flak for scoring too many of his points vs weaker teams, up until the last couple games where he performed well. People also tried to bash him for leaving that trophy in the hallway.

Though I will say, if he doesn't live up to expectations, there won't be as much hate, as people won't be jealous. The better and more dominant he is, the more hate he'll get.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Just quoting this because it's probably the best post in this thread.

Also, I hope one day that people who call Crosby a whiner realize that they are in fact, constantly whining about Crosby.

Crosby is a whiner

Doesn't mean im not a whiner. whats your point

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The jealousy angle is flat out stupid.

So you think the reasoning of dozens if not hundreds of posters here is "stupid"? Seems a bit flamey.

The idea that he is hated because he's better than most players other teams have makes no sense. We don't see that sort of hatred for several other star players, despite the fact that according to that logic, people should be "jealous" they don't have them.

Where's the pile of hate for Lidstrom, for instance? Shouldn't he have been tailed by super jelly haters?

The jealousy angle is just a cheap cop-out by people who don't like their star player being disliked.

Lidstrom never got held up as the poster child of hockey the way Crosby did.

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
In all honesty I think the Crosby fanboys and fangirls make him far less likeable than he'd otherwise be. The propensity for them to use the word "hater" and accuse his critics of being jealous makes them sound like Justin Bieber fans. Couple that with a fairly bland and unengaging persona (no idea about his personality, I'm just talking about his public image) and the constant jock sniffing from sections of the Canadian media and it's easy to see how neutral fans could be put off by Brand Crosby even if it's unfair insofar as those things are beyond his control.
What's more, anytime he has been deemed to have fallen short of admittedly lofty expectations there are some very tedious White knights lined up to make excuses and rationalisations. Honestly if his fans weren't so determined to argue his case for him I'd find it much easier to acknowledge his obvious talent.
McDavid just doesn't have the same polarising effect, he seems more likeable and hasn't been shoved down our throats as "The Face Of The NHL". That may change, but I never get the sense that fans and media are as besotted by him as they were with Crosby.
Just IMO ofcourse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad