Why did the teenaged Crosby get more hate than McDavid is getting now?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Because 29 teams and their fans lost the draft lottery in which every team had a shot.

He was then the face of the league. It angered people so they took any and all available shots at him.

Root cause - jealousy.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That is a blatant lie, he was on pace for 111 points, and Ovie won the Art Ross with 112 points.

And by the way, had Ovie not missed any games in 08-09 and 09-10 he would have 3 Art Ross Trophies and 6 Rocket Richard Trophies( and probably 4 Hart Trophies).

My mistake on 07-08, miscalculated the statistics/games played ratio. That said, 111 points is still a great feat, pure dominance along with Ovechkin's 112.

Nobody is trying to turn this into a Crosby vs Ovechkin thread, by the way.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Because 29 teams and their fans lost the draft lottery in which every team had a shot.

He was then the face of the league. It angered people so they took any and all available shots at him.

Root cause - jealousy.

To the poster who said there aren't actually fans who honestly believe people dislike Crosby out of jealousy, I present Exhibit A.

"Jealousy," the crutch of an insecure mind that just can't handle their star player not being universally loved.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
So big deal, Rob Brown was 17 when he put up greater numbers than Crosby ever did. Different game eh? Give that a rest too. And I only researched one player to find out your statement was not true, wonder if I looked into to other players, I bet they were 16 or 17 too. Players like that don't stay in juniors after 18.

So in order to prove your point we must first remove all context of the evolution of the sport of hockey? I think I'll pass.

It's posts like yours that make me dislike Crosby. The most overrated player to ever play.

It's posts like this that make it hard to take you seriously. You don't like Crosby, that's apparent, but this is just utter nonsense.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007

Root cause - jealousy.

Never was jealous of the Pens for having Crosby. I was happy enough with getting Ovechkin and still prefer having him on my team.

For me, Crosby was easy enough to hate for being a good player on a rival team. His on-ice behavior exacerbated that feeling, as did the NHL's marketing of him.

Having said that...I wasn't happy with the Caps having to draft 14th in the 2005 draft (Sasha Pokuluk, yay!) despite finishing near the bottom of the league in the previous season. Landing Ovie was huge, but the team was still in the early stages of its rebuild and was basically denied the chance to add a Kopitar/Ryan/Price.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
It was just three years ago he made a fool of himself in the series against the Flyers.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/04/examing-why-sidney-crosby-is-such-a-*****.html

6a0120a6dde087970b0167652f7d97970b-800wi

Giroux does that to Crosby and people laugh at how funny it is. Hardly a foolish thing. Most people found it funny.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I believe because he went to an American team and the NHL made him the poster boy. That isn't happening with McDavid. He's in Canada and playing on a terrible team.

Fans around the league hate EDM because of all the luck they've gotten, but at least the fans finally have something to cheer about. 9 years of complete BS has taken a toll on the fans and then some. A decade of failure. I honestly don't care how many fans outside of EDM hate the team now. Management being rewarded for their constant failures is mind boggling, but the reality is that the fans deserve this -- That is certainly clear.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

Root cause - jealousy.

get over yourself. the jealously thing is just an excuse from people who are ******** that their beloved star isn't praised by the rest of the league. Crosby always came across as a whiny brat that expected special treatment all the time. whereas McDavid seems like a good kid that doesn't want special treatment. I've watched many games of his and have never seen him once flop around and whine like a baby like Crosby has done a million times.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
i remember all the hype surrounding him, and when i actually saw him in person I remember saying to myself "you can't tell me that this dorky looking guy is going to be that good at hockey. THIS is supposed to be the new face of the NHL? yea OK". however, looks can be deceiving as he fully lived up to the hype.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
listen you're 18 years old, we get it you have a lot of hype but to disrespect a player like Peter Fosberg after he calls you out on diving just show's your arrogance and makes you look like a whiny brat. He was supposed to be the face of the NHL, instead 80% of the league hates him "low balling". He's not great in the spot light in terms of interviews and his personality leaves a lot to be desired.

A decade later and forsberg can't sniff crosbys jock. Funny how things work out

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
A decade later and forsberg can't sniff crosbys jock. Funny how things work out

Well yeah, Forsberg is out of practice and ravaged by injuries from his playing days. I'm sure Crosby could skate circles around Gordie Howe too.

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Because people think his draft lottery was rigged compared to this one where its the least marketable result. Less likely to get pushed down our throat because of market and because the league isn't rebuilding after a lockout

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Care to back up that claim? 85%. You're kidding right?
Back it up, lol? None of this stuff can be proven as fact. You can pull out video on Crosby, you can also pull out video on every player in the league (all except Barkov. That guy's a robot. But I digress, lol). The only difference is the other players are not as high profile as Crosby, so nobody cares.

Last edited:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Giroux does that to Crosby and people laugh at how funny it is. Hardly a foolish thing. Most people found it funny.

Ummm no only Pittsburgh fans found it funny. The rest of us saw it for what it was; a childish bush league move typical of Crosby's behavior. Imagine if Marchand did that..... Hfboards would have blown up.

I think ole Stiggy and Errey have brainwashed an entire generation that Crosby can do no wrong.

Imaginary greatness? I suggest everyone ignore this guy, you know where this is heading "Crosby isn't even good" type ****.

Took me out of context with the other comments I was making. Thx for that. Nice try.

He's a great player but he's not the greatest in the world. He had one year where dominated, one. The rest of time he has been no better than the other top players in the league.

So in order to prove your point we must first remove all context of the evolution of the sport of hockey? I think I'll pass.

It's posts like this that make it hard to take you seriously. You don't like Crosby, that's apparent, but this is just utter nonsense.
Then you need to define greatest CHL season of all time which why my comments started. I can find at least 20 players that outdid Crosby in juniors. Most think it is Mario's season anyhow but here we go again, with the Crosby fans exagerating Sidney's accomplishments again.

Back it up, lol? None of this stuff can be proven as fact. You can pull out video on Crosby, you can also pull out video on every player in the league (all except Barkov. That guy's a robot. But I digress, lol). The only difference is the other players are not as high profile as Crosby, so nobody cares.

Yeah, 85 % of all players. Let's see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nekz

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 8, 2007
New York
He was definitely very whiny to start his career. He has been a little better since but still shows flashes of it.

Yourself

Oct 12, 2010
People complain about players being too cliche and boring in interviews, but when they give their honest opinions, they don't like that either.

He gave a pompous answer. If you are going to go out saying you don't like someone at least go further then just saying I don't like him over and over.

For the record, I find Crosby to be much better then he was when he first entered the league. Have even mentioned it over the years, but he was a whiny player early on and would complain too much. That was why I used to dislike him. Now? I just hate on him because he is on the Penguins and I am a Philly fan, but I don't actually dislike him like I used to.

With all do respect

Dec 9, 2012
Watching Crosby in the Memorial Cup it was hard to like the guy. All the whining and complaining being the next great one while London Knights made him look like a pewee throwing a tantrum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad