Why did the Leafs finish last in pp time?

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Soft, small non physical teams do not tend to draw a lot of penalties.

Its the physical contact and retaliation penalties and hard fought battles on the ice that draw more penalties and get more players involved.

Leafs 3 biggest hitters & physical players in Komarov, Martin and Polak are all gone, replaced by 5-10 Johnsson, 5-8 Ennis and 5-10 Carrick, who don't intimidate anyone, so I would imagine that Leafs being near the bottom of the PP list will continue.

Kadri tends to draw the most penalties, but he plays with and edge.

The Leafs have been turned into more of a figure skating team than a hockey team, and while watching figure skating I've never seen a lot of penalties called. :sarcasm:
ye, the avalanche are filled with a bunch of goons..
this whole post is ridiculous, unless you are being sarcastic, i hope you are.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I’ve been told I’m a whinny leafs fan for bringing this up to my buddies but I do feel that a lot of calls don’t go our way. In the playoffs I felt it was quite apparent that the veteran Bruins team got the calls and could do what they wanted to us and if it was called tight might have been a different series. Maybe I am just a whinny leafs fan but I’m glad I read this and realize that I’m not the only one feeling this way.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
I’ve been told I’m a whinny leafs fan for bringing this up to my buddies but I do feel that a lot of calls don’t go our way. In the playoffs I felt it was quite apparent that the veteran Bruins team got the calls and could do what they wanted to us and if it was called tight might have been a different series. Maybe I am just a whinny leafs fan but I’m glad I read this and realize that I’m not the only one feeling this way.

Yep, there are many whiney Leaf fans who feel the same way.:sarcasm:

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
That guy, that one guy in every crowd, in every bar, maybe at the family reunion... the guy who always roots for the team that is playing against the Leafs? The one who digs up a sweater for every visiting team and takes glee in rooting against the hometown team? Not the guy who's a legit fan OF another team, just the anti-Leaf guy....

Sometimes, that guy grows up to be an NHL referee. :-0

and sometimes that guy grows up to get a job on Leafs broadcasts on HNIC, but that's another thread altogether.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Soft, small non physical teams do not tend to draw a lot of penalties.

Its the physical contact and retaliation penalties and hard fought battles on the ice that draw more penalties and get more players involved.

Leafs 3 biggest hitters & physical players in Komarov, Martin and Polak are all gone, replaced by 5-10 Johnsson, 5-8 Ennis and 5-10 Carrick, who don't intimidate anyone, so I would imagine that Leafs being near the bottom of the PP list will continue.

Kadri tends to draw the most penalties, but he plays with and edge.

The Leafs have been turned into more of a figure skating team than a hockey team, and while watching figure skating I've never seen a lot of penalties called. :sarcasm:

Speed draws penalties, not retaliation.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
That guy, that one guy in every crowd, in every bar, maybe at the family reunion... the guy who always roots for the team that is playing against the Leafs? The one who digs up a sweater for every visiting team and takes glee in rooting against the hometown team? Not the guy who's a legit fan OF another team, just the anti-Leaf guy....

and sometimes that guy grows up to get a job on Leafs broadcasts on HNIC, but that's another thread altogether.

I assume you jest!

Why do you suppose there is such a "that guy"? Does "that guy" also exist for other teams or is this just another "why do people hate the Leafs" post?
Leafs are so hated people devote their careers to bringing them down? Man I've heard it all now:huh:

Reactions: Pookie

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
What is crazier is that the Leafs had 55 5v4 PP goals, just 7 from the leading Lightning despite playing ~80 fewer minutes on the PP. That's four period of hockey. Crazy.

The Avs had 140 more minutes on the PP than the Leafs and only managed four more goals.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
One thing that might be a factor is the leafs generally have a lead, and it's just tougher to draw penalties while you're up in a game

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
One thing that might be a factor is the leafs generally have a lead, and it's just tougher to draw penalties while you're up in a game
That's true the Leafs were 2nd in first period goals this year, only 1 behind the Jets. Although the Leafs were 1st in first period goals last year and were ranked 17th in pp opportunities. There might be some connection but I'm not sure if it's that big.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
The more interesting question is... Our pp/pk ratio and time vs US opponents vs Canadian and then again home and away.

Then crack out the tin foil.
I got some left on the roll...you got those numbers handy? I think the reason is likely a combination of what most are bringing up here.
Young players don't have the respect needed from the refs,refs don't like to be insulted and perhaps getting the lead early results in more calls for the opposition! The Kadri angle is not a major factor as most every team has one of those guys that 'draw' more...look at Marchand,a kiss away from soccer player status!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

'Great save'?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That's true the Leafs were 2nd in first period goals this year, only 1 behind the Jets. Although the Leafs were 1st in first period goals last year and were ranked 17th in pp opportunities. There might be some connection but I'm not sure if it's that big.
True, but they also were 7th in first period goals against last year. They had a better differential this year, so they had the lead more I guess. Either way, it's probably only a small factor

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I was just waiting for you to blame Kadri.

Fact is when he dove he got PPs for us. Quite a few were remarking about his “ability to draw penalties.”

He’s not diving as much.... good thing. And his reputation... unfortunately for us... has resulted in him not getting the calls as evidenced by the actual facts.

Which is kind of the subject of this thread.

Facts bother you?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
What is crazier is that the Leafs had 55 5v4 PP goals, just 7 from the leading Lightning despite playing ~80 fewer minutes on the PP. That's four period of hockey. Crazy.

The Avs had 140 more minutes on the PP than the Leafs and only managed four more goals.
That’s pretty efficient, hopefully they will have more PP this year.

I think one of the reason is probably bc the Leafs didn’t really have a cycling game. Hopefully that will change with JT playing 18-20mins a game.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I didn't blame Kadri for our drop in PP opportunities, don't try and use me for your agenda.

You're also just as wrong as Mess was thinking that the teams with the most PP opportunities are the toughest teams. Did the Leafs play a soft game last year or the year before when they were ranked 11th in PP opportunities and 17th in PP opportunities?

Well in 2015-16 and again 2016-17 they were ranked 9th in hits.

Last year they were 26th. Throwing over 500 fewer hits.

So to answer your question... are they playing softer?

Yes.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I haven't read the entire thread but has anyone checked Babcocks PP time when he was coaching the wings?

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I think its simply because they usually score early. Two years in a row they were one of if not the best 1st period team. We know how refs even things up as the game goes on. They usually aren't giving the leading team tons of powerplays unless the game gets out of hand.

That's probably what pisses Babcock off. Refs calling based on the score, as they always have.

Reactions: Pookie

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Reactions: JayDog17

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

So did that guy just come into the league last year when our PP numbers were down or has he been waiting in the shadows for the perfect moment... the 2017-18 Regular Season (cue scary music)... to launch his dastardly vendetta?

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad