Why did Quebec not get a team?

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Without naming names-- I believe that they are being held off the board for relocation
In addition to the reasons above--they are, just shut your mouths and be ready to go at the drop of a hat.

You are effing it up yapping all the time, you piss off existing owners.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
A team in the Eastern timezone will likely move to QBC.

Seattle is a big TV market in the US. Hockey is likely saturated in Canada, in the US there is still a lot of room to grow (in theory).

From a Canadian standpoint, if I'm Vancouver I'm extremely happy to get a new geographical rival. This will be their equivalent of Leafs-Sabres or Leafs-Wings.

Most obvious expansion move in league history.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
How many arenas in the Q can even hold 8k people? Quebec and Halifax maybe?
League avg 3000 fans on 54% capacity.
Moncton 4000 avg 7200 capacity, Sydney 2500 on 5000.

Centre Videotron would be full every night if pricing similar to Florida or other smaller markets. Would not be if prices are same as Toronto.

TV ratings? Wayyy better than Florida and many more. No clue about Seattle. Not my point.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The reason pre-season games in Quebec are no longer sold out is to send a message, it's not because people don't want to watch NHL hockey.

"Don't want us to have a team? Fine, you're not getting our money."

Isn't that like cutting off your nose to spite for face. If this is a strategy to get a NHL team back it's not working.

Reactions: Armourboy

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
The NYC metro area has about two and a half times the population of the entire province of Quebec. There's a bit of a scale thing going on there.

I'm well aware, but its a pretty silly argument that they are just too close

If you've ever driven from Montreal to Quebec City you know its certainly not just a hop skip and jump down the street

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I just find it bizarre how quiet Quebec went away when they applied for an expansion. I've heard that Bettman is a really smart guy and he has things mapped out over many years. I wouldnt be surprised if Quebec was promised a team for less money (than expansion fee) in the event that an eastern team needs to be moved. I just dont know when that will happen. Doesnt really seem like any teams are in that bad shape at this point.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Because everyone in Quebec City is only 260km away from Montreal. Could you imagine if the NHL put a team that close to Vancouver?
Never mind NY but Florida is 290 km (180 miles) from Tampa...

Big part of the Quebec City market is actually closer to Mtl than that. Its west of Quebec City. Like 100 km form Quebec.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its not a desirable market, and I'm pretty sure the entire plan for it is built around Videotron building a strong Quebec wide sports channel with them as the anchor. Seattle may help grow a national deal, I don't think a QC team does anything to improve the local Canadian deal, and that's before you get into the re-alignment issue. I think QC went away quietly because of the league essentially pricing the team so expensive it wasn't a worthwhile venture for Videotron.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I just find it bizarre how quiet Quebec went away when they applied for an expansion. I've heard that Bettman is a really smart guy and he has things mapped out over many years. I wouldnt be surprised if Quebec was promised a team for less money (than expansion fee) in the event that an eastern team needs to be moved. I just dont know when that will happen. Doesnt really seem like any teams are in that bad shape at this point.
Did you go to BB&T center (Panthers) lately? Was there last month. Ottawa was visiting. Place was something around 33% occupancy. Week-end 5 pm game.

Reactions: Nihiliste

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Quebec City has a population of ~800,000 while Seattle has a greater metro area population of ~4 000,000. Pretty clear choice if you're the NHL BoG. Plus Quebec City already had a team, they might be a candidate for relocation but I doubt expansion is in the cards for them.

Pretty much this, I really hope there is a playoff rivalry between Vancouver/Seattle would love to watch a game there in a playoff atmosphere.

I do want another Canadian team however and Quebec better be it. I don't understand why they can't relocate teams like the Panthers or Coyotes at this point.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm well aware, but its a pretty silly argument that they are just too close

If you've ever driven from Montreal to Quebec City you know its certainly not just a hop skip and jump down the street
No, but that's about the same distance from Columbus to Cleveland, and yet Cleveland is still generally associated with the Jackets.

* * *​
Pretty much this, I really hope there is a playoff rivalry between Vancouver/Seattle would love to watch a game there in a playoff atmosphere.

I do want another Canadian team however and Quebec better be it. I don't understand why they can't relocate teams like the Panthers or Coyotes at this point.
Because those teams have owners who wish to own franchises in those cities.

And for the record - let he or she who would take a team away from fans first volunteer his or her own. No excuses.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Long story short

-brand new untapped revenue stream that will have full support of both the immediate and surrounding areas and a B.I.G big, ****ing ginormous TV deal

Or

-far smaller but traditional hockey market that will make a lot of money but will not have the full support of the province due to Les Canadiens eating a big piece of the pie and not make as much money on TV deals

The idea is to grow the game and make money and Seattle is a much better opportunity to do both. I'm not dissing QC either it's just that these are the kind of things that are looked at when deciding expansion.

I hope to see the Nords come back. By rights they're next

There needs to be a multi-national TV deal in place then. Canada needs to push the game here just as much as the NHL needs to push more teams up north

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad