Why did Quebec not get a team?

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Small over saturated market. Already had a team and lost them. Offer little financial growth as opposed to moving into new untouched areas with far more money and a larger populace in a country with a stronger currency.

I mean, it's fairly easy to see why they avoided Quebec.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Quebec City has a population of ~800,000 while Seattle has a greater metro area population of ~4 000,000. Pretty clear choice if you're the NHL BoG. Plus Quebec City already had a team, they might be a candidate for relocation but I doubt expansion is in the cards for them.
Population numbers:
Quebec 530 000 up to 800 counting metropolitan area.
Ottawa 930, 1.2 mil
So yes smaller market

Broward county has 2 mil but nobody in the stands.

Cant be population.

Please look at Quebec Remparts attendance: 8300 when league average is 2500.

Preseason games of archrival Habs in Quebec: 14 000 vs Toronto, 9000 Boston and 11 000 Wsh last 3 years. Willing to compare numbers with preseason games in Carolina, Buffalo, Arizona anytime.

Reactions: dukeofjive

mtlmonk

Apr 21, 2014
Cost has to be a factor at this point.

Vegas paid 500M USD for their team

Seattle will surely pay more (550-650M?)

By the time you do currency conversion you’d be looking at nearly a billion Canadian dollars before the arena even gets built.

Correction: Arena is built and was built in the hope of getting a NHL team

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Population numbers:
Ottawa 930, 1.2 mil
So yes smaller market

Cant be population.

Preseason games of archrival Habs in Quebec: 14 000 vs Toronto, 9000 Boston and 11 000 Wsh last 3 years. Willing to compare numbers with preseason games in Carolina, Buffalo, Arizona anytime.

Not a very compelling argument at all.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Population numbers:
Ottawa 930, 1.2 mil
So yes smaller market

Cant be population.

How many arenas in the Q can even hold 8k people? Quebec and Halifax maybe?

There also a difference between attendance for a game every once in a while and sustained attendance over a full season.

I'm thinking 32 is probably the league's magic number anyway. They have the balance that they want and if a team in Quebec happens, it'll probably be through relocation.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The reason pre-season games in Quebec are no longer sold out is to send a message, it's not because people don't want to watch NHL hockey.

"Don't want us to have a team? Fine, you're not getting our money."

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
The reason pre-season games in Quebec are no longer sold out is to send a message, it's not because people don't want to watch NHL hockey.

"Don't want us to have a team? Fine, you're not getting our money."

Then stop complaining about getting a team.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Population numbers:
Ottawa 930, 1.2 mil
So yes smaller market

Cant be population.

Ok. It's not really about whether or not Quebec City could support an NHL team. They probably could, likely even better than Florida or Arizona, maybe even Carolina. It's about which option is the best for expansion. And by best it comes down to where they think they'll make the most money. Seattle has a huge corporate presence, a much wider and younger population base, a massive TV market, a newly renovated arena, and allows for another team in the Pacific. They are far and away the most desirable option for the NHL, as was Vegas previously.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is an honest question. And I'm not a super angry Canadian who thinks the NHL hates us. I'm just honestly confused because I thought they had an NHL ready arena and some super rich dude that was willing to pony up. Was it simply the East vs West thing needing to be worked out? Or were there other reasons. The NHL has shown it's willingness to go back to former Canadian markets so I have to believe that isn't it. As a Habs fan I kinda hoped it would happen because that was a damn good rivalry back in the day.

Without naming names-- I believe that they are being held off the board for relocation

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
It's Florida. 80% of the population is over 80. The other 20% are too drunk/hungover to attend a hockey game.
You are not too far off! All i am saying is you cannot use population (hockey fans) as an argument to doubt Quebec could support a team better than the bad franchises out there. Not bitching on Seattle one bit. I dont know enough about the area to say. But Florida Panthers are a waste of time. And that market i know well.

Nov 24, 2006
There are cities like Alabama, West Virgiana and Wyoming before NHL goes to Qepec. But its interesting to see new markets coming!
I'll take Famous American Cities for $200, Alex.

161013-Alex-Trebek-Instagram-800x600.jpg

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You are not too far off! All i am saying is you cannot use population (hockey fans) as an argument to doubt Quebec could support a team better than the bad franchises out there. Not *****ing on Seattle one bit. I dont know enough about the area to say. But Florida Panthers are a waste of time. And that market i know well.
It's less about how much of the market actually turns out and more about potential due to the overall market size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad