Why did Oilers give up on J. Schultz again?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Hall and Schultz needed a change of scenery, one its worked out greatly for the other is to be determined but NJ is on the come up.
Why did Hall need a change in scenery? He was playing good in Edmonton, which is why he got traded - he was the only one with any value.

Id agree, if it wasn't for the amount of players bashed and trashed by Edmonton...only to thrive and succeed elsewhere. It's one of the reasons I can't stand Edmonton. Eberle is getting it now. And when he's run out of town, it's on to the next. All with the same narrative...at what awful players they are to have around, etc. Its ALWAYS the players fault. Never the messy system thats only talent is getting "lucky" at the draft. I bet Tyler Seguin drops to his knees thanking God poor Taylor was buried in that hell hole and he was saved.

Justin had a strong pre NHL career...and is, today a valued member of a team that excels at TEAM BUILDING...going into the SCF with another team that has done a masterful job itself.

My problem with Edmonton is the way they treat their players, once they leave...they bash them more.
How can a city bash a player?

What a weird post...

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
too much, too fast in Edmonton. on him though. he wanted a place that would be the most likely to get him the most NHL TOI from the outset. Oilers didn't do anything wrong IMO. Were they going to just not play him when it was evident he wasn't exactly prime time ready? Don't go after an attractive asset just because it wasn't the ideal situation for that asset?

eddiefromirwin

Apr 15, 2017
So if Schultz goes to arbitration, he gets a one year deal and then is unrestricted the following year? Is that correct?

secretweapon

Aug 2, 2005
Because he "can't wait to get out of there." straight from the source.

There's fault on both sides on how it ended up. Similarly to Lupul, when the situation reached a point where unsolicited fans come up to you and yell at you for sucking while having dinner with friends and family, it's time to move on.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why did Hall need a change in scenery? He was playing good in Edmonton, which is why he got traded - he was the only one with any value.

What a weird post...

I don't think Hall was necessarily in need of a change of scenery yet, but it looked like it was coming. You could tell that he was frustrated on the ice a lot because they just kept losing. If he showed that on the ice, its quite possible that he showed it in the locker room as well, and that would have been enough of a reason to move on from him. You don't want negativity infecting your locker room if you feel that it will prevent your team progressing.

As per your comment on the city bashing players, it isn't the city, its the fanbase, and it is both casual fans and knowedgable ones. I feel the same as the poster you quoted, the Edmonton fanbase (in majority, not entirety) has a long history of scapegoating good players if they don't reach expectations, or running guys out of town if they aren't very good players. Guys who the fans turned on because they weren't producing up to expectations have included Jason Arnott, Andrew Cogliano, Joffrey Lupul, Tom Poti and many, many others - all very good players (aside from Whitney, but injuries killed his career) who were struggling and went on to be much better after they left Edmonton. Two years ago (or three?) it was Gagner. Last year, Schultz. This year, Eberle. There seems to be one every year. I almost hope that we trade both Eberle and Nuge, because I am predicting now that if Nuge is back next year, he gets it from the fanbase regardless of how he does, aside from turning into a 1C, which won't happen.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Because they did everything in their power to ruin him and and because they monumentally screwed up but the oilers have done that with just about every prospect they have had over the last decade.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

What a weird post...

Not weird at all in the least, all 100% true.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
He was asked to be a top pairing guy without much support in Edmonton. He failed hard and somewhat understandably gave up.

Schultz would actually be a good fit on the current Oilers.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Honestly he wasnt good for Edmonton. He gave up on the team and it was pretty evident. Felt like he was just collecting a paycheck.

That being said, previous management didnt really put him in a position to succeed. He was way too high up the depth chart. Organizational fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad