Why did Keefe break up Matthews and Marner?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
The chemistry between the two is so good, why did he split them up? Is it to get more balance in the top two lines? Though Marner has great chemistry with Tavares and Nylander has great chemistry with Matthews. They’re pretty much interchangeable no?

Will Matthews and Marner be reunited for the playoffs?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The chemistry between the two is so good, why did he split them up? Is it to get more balance in the top two lines? Though Marner has great chemistry with Tavares and Nylander has great chemistry with Matthews. They’re pretty much interchangeable no?

I dont remember, but i think they played bad (most Matthews) or the Tavares line was like a forth line. Think people wanted a change 5-10 games before it happened.

Could be interesting with a Nylander/Marner switch. But not yet.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004

With the arrival of ROR and JT switching to the wing. I can see Marner and Nylander switching. Now if Kniess comes in and looks as good as they say he is, might be worth a nickel to play him with Marner and Matthews for a bit, see if they gel. Move Bunting down to 3rd line, where he really should be.
Kneiss Matthews Marner
JT ROR Nylander
Bunting Engvall Jarnrok
ZAR Kampf Accairi

Trade Kerfoot , Robertson and Sandin for Chychren (if doable)
Just a though

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Willy & Tavares were not good defensively. Balance.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Keefe also broke them up last season for a while before putting them back together and then couldn't separate them again as they were arguably the best line in hockey the rest of the way.

This season, the Leafs went on that huge winning streak with them on different lines so it didn't make sense to kill that chemistry.

Pretty much the standard juggle lines if the team isn't winning and roll with them if they are flying high.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It seems they wanted to give the top two lines a bit more balance in quality. It was likely going to be temporary, but we started winning a bunch.
I imagine they'll still go back at some point, as Bunting-Matthews-Marner is probably the best line in hockey, and safer to match against Tampa's top line, but we know that works, so may as well build chemistry through the season with other combinations.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Tavares needed more help than Matthews did.
It'll be Matthews turn for help again soon.
Basically this. It looks like Marner is what ROR needed to get going this season as well. He's really got his work cut out for him.

Reactions: ACC1224

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Matthews has brought the best out of Styles. Marner brings out the best in JT. Let it go.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
With the arrival of ROR and JT switching to the wing. I can see Marner and Nylander switching. Now if Kniess comes in and looks as good as they say he is, might be worth a nickel to play him with Marner and Matthews for a bit, see if they gel. Move Bunting down to 3rd line, where he really should be.
Kneiss Matthews Marner
JT ROR Nylander
Bunting Engvall Jarnrok
ZAR Kampf Accairi

Trade Kerfoot , Robertson and Sandin for Chychren (if doable)
Just a though
Moving Bunting to the 3rd line makes too much sense.lol
I have always thought that 's where he should be.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The answer lies in the +/- stats for Matthews and Tavares.

Tavares is not a responsible 2-way centre and his +/- sinks below Zero when not accompanied by Marner to both assist him offensively and insulate him defensive, so Leafs are not pulling as many pucks out of their own net as a result of the switch.

Even with Marner, Tavares is still just a +1 while Matthews without him is still a +21.

1677166796004.png

Reactions: DarkKnight

michi510

Aug 31, 2011
Toronto
I love Matthews but for me, it shouldn’t matter who he plays with, Marner or not.

He should have enough talent to be able to drive a line himself. You get paid to be a top performer and want to be paid amongst the best on your next contract, go be a difference maker and carry your line.

He does seem off this year, maybe from the injury. I can give him the benefit of the doubt regular season.

However, he needs to be a difference maker come playoffs. Willy is on his line… No excuses

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
The answer never lies with +/-. It's a horrible stat that often paints an inaccurate picture - as it does here.
+/- is a bad stat, but no way that you think Matthews and Tavares are in the same echelon as defensive players?

Matthews and Marner are far superior defensively to Tavares and Nylander.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The answer never lies with +/-. It's a horrible stat that often paints an inaccurate picture - as it does here.
I agree that +/- isn't the most useful stat but I would say it's pretty telling when both years that Marner and Tavares were together that they've been a plus and 2 out of the 3 yrs that Tavares was with Willy, they were a minus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad