Why did Chicago ever trade Panarin?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It was just a bad move. None of the explanations in this thread add up logically. Hossa's retirement should have subsidized Panarin's retention. It shouldn't have been viewed as a problem to be solved by trading a better player for a worse player. Now you've just compounded the effect of Hossa leaving instead of alleviating it.

Cost certainty is awfully weak given the expansion talks. They should've known that they were getting a big chunk of cap relief.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Because his name invokes thoughts of eating hot soup on cold winter nights as you chit chat with your gal pals about something trivial yet pressing.

Reactions: ehhedler

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
They wanted Saad long term over panarin short term

If they felt they could compete for a cup in the near future they'd have probably kept panarin , but after two first round exits (one being a sweep) their expectations weren't that high so they opted for Saad in hopes of building a cup roster further down the road

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Right, they asked for Saad back, they didn't ask for Panarin to go. It could a) be a monkey's paw thing, or b) be that he was being polite for the media.

Result is the same, I’m sure the Hawks management would undo the trade if they could. I thought the Hawks could be Cup contenders with the addition of Panarin.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Result is the same, I’m sure the Hawks management would undo the trade if they could. I thought the Hawks could be Cup contenders with the addition of Panarin.

Yeah, it wasn't the best trade, but it's true that Kane and Toews wanted Saad back.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The unmoveable Toews forces them to build around him. Saad seemed like an option to revitalize Toews. It backfired as we all know amd both players just spiraled down not up.

Obviously for cap reasons Panarin would be hard to keep, but we've seen tougher knots released by active GMs.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Wasn't it rumoured Kane and Toews asked for Saad back

Not rumored. Reported. By Scott Powers, I believe, who doesnt sling garbage. There's not much controversy over the fact both guys went to management and said they want Saad back. The only rumors are how soon after the initial Saad trade they started pushing for hos return.

Guys request players or types of players all the time. I doubt either said 'you should trade Panarin dor him'.

The Blackhawks decided they couldnt afford Panarin's next deal. They're probably right. How badly they screwed up will be decided by whether Panarin returns something better than Saad as either a) a 1yr-or-less rental or b) with a big-money contract agreed on by the recieving team.

And all that being said, you'd need to have legitimate brain damage to suggest Panarin in place of Saad is the change that makes the Blackhawks a playoff team, let alone a contender.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Kane explicitly said he was disappointed to see Panarin go.

Patrick Kane 'disappointed' by Blackhawks trade of Artemi Panarin

Are you under the impression saying 'I want Saad back' means the same thing as 'I want Panarin gone'?

Kane can want one and be disappointed by the other. Chances are he did not say 'and by the way dont trade my bff' when he voiced his desire for the return of his buddy Saad.

There's not much controversy over whether Kane also voiced a desire to get Saad back. He did.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Toews wanted Saad back. Toews struggled, management hoped Saad would help Toews come back. Plus Panarin was going to ask for a raise which they couldn't afford due to awful contracts

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Are you under the impression saying 'I want Saad back' means the same thing as 'I want Panarin gone'?

Kane can want one and be disappointed by the other. Chances are he did not say 'and by the way dont trade my bff' when he voiced his desire for the return of his buddy Saad.

There's not much controversy over whether Kane also voiced a desire to get Saad back. He did.

The result is the same, and knowing Saad's worth on the market at the time, it was obviously going to take a player like Panarin to entice Columbus to move on from Saad.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Their GM traded basically an entire team
of great players since 2010 and it worked out for a long time because they kept hitting on draft picks for a while to fill those spots. I think he got too confident about that and started making dumb decisions. Toews’ extension is horrendous and this trade was absolutely awful

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I always thought it was because Saad was a more complete player and they preferred the all around game over Panarins offense

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
They also traded Teuvo because he didn't play "Quenneville hockey" or something. So last year Panarin outscored Kane and Teuvo outscored Toews. It's almost like good young players are good or something.

Hossa should probably have noticed his "allergy" one or two seasons earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad