Why did Chicago ever trade Panarin?

Jordan Belfort

Jan 13, 2016
Anaheim CA
looking back, it just seems ridiculous to trade that high of a caliber player. 80 point scorer for the last 3 years who had amazing chemistry with Kane and for some reason decided to trade him for a guy who had 35 points this year. Does anyone have any insight as to why Chicago traded him?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Wasn't it rumoured Kane and Toews asked for Saad back

I doubt Kane asked for Saad back when he had such great chemistry with Panarin. Saad was Toews' linemate, so maybe he asked for Saad back but Kane was disappointed when Panarin got traded.

I don't think it was a very good move. Panarin is simply the better player, and he was the Hawks' 2nd best forward after Kane when he was there IMO.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It seems to me like maybe they thought that Panarin was a bit of a product of Kane, and that Saad could do nearly as well but with cost certainty. But, obviously Panarin has been even better for Columbus than he was for Chicago (something that I did not expect), and Saad has been okay, but not Panarin.

Not only that but with cap growth it looks like they probably could have afforded to keep Panarin.

Reactions: Flair Hay

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It seems to me like maybe they thought that Panarin was a bit of a product of Kane, and that Saad could do nearly as well but with cost certainty. But, obviously Panarin has been even better for Columbus than he was for Chicago (something that I did not expect), and Saad has been okay, but not Panarin.

Not only that but with cap growth it looks like they probably could have afforded to keep Panarin.

Yeah, no. Still can't afford a 9 million panarin unless you dumped Seabrook

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah, no. Still can't afford a 9 million panarin unless you dumped Seabrook
that's extremely easy to fix. Panarin would start his next deal at 27 years old. The years where Panarin is 33-35 could be low cap years, and if you did that the cap hit would be no more than 7

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
looking back, it just seems ridiculous to trade that high of a caliber player. 80 point scorer for the last 3 years who had amazing chemistry with Kane and for some reason decided to trade him for a guy who had 35 points this year. Does anyone have any insight as to why Chicago traded him?

I personally think it's a mix of losing Hossa and needing a heavier, two way player on Toews' line and Panarin being really f***ing expensive on the next contract. Hawks already have Kane that can play with anyone and they've won with that formula. Panarin was a luxury.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Overreaction to the Hossa situation and the team decided that 4 years of mini-Hossa hopefully revitalizing Toews with Kane being able to shine regardless of his linemate was better than 2 years of Panarin at the same cap hit.

1 year in, doesn't look good, but not over yet.

Reactions: Voight

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
They knew Panarin was leaving via UFA in 2019/20 if just for cap reasons. Hawks wanted the certainly of 6m Saad long term, and Saad had come off a few good seasons which got him his 6m contract.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
he was the scapegoat for them not getting out of the first round, since he wasn't a part of their cup teams

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Three factors come to mind.

1) players asked for Saad back
2) horrific cap situation and the uncertainty of losing Panarin to UFA
3) Saad being the replacement for Hossa

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Hindsight 20/20.

Saad is now s*** AF (what ever the reason is), wont "bounce back" either.
Panarin is even better what he was when he was traded.
Hossa retirement -> would of helped re-signing Panarin

If only Hawks would of waited and not haste on things
should not of traded Panarin (no matter what, possible "excuses" or not)

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think the logic for the move, mainly due to a mixture of cap issues and needing to rebalance the lineup makes some sense. We can debate how successful that was but you can see the thought process. My problem with the deal is that they didn’t get value, it needed a couple of decent draft picks heading Chicago’s way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad