Why David Pastrnak will be the NHL's next break out star

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
If that caused them to not put their best twelve on the ice, then shame on them but that is a very good point.

I don't know what to tell you guys Lou. I have no issue that they took the "tentative" approach of giving an 18 year old who weighs 165lbs, was injured in camp, had never played hockey in North America and had an ELC kick in at 10 NHL games a whopping 24 games in the AHL.

It's amazing to me that any one does.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think it would be ridiculous to trade Smith... I'd try to lock him up 2.5-3 per , 4-5 years.

Kid is a player and he will become more consistent. I see his makeup. I think he's a guy who plays better when comfortable with his contract situation vs a guy who gets paid then gets worse

I think Smith would be a great 3rd line player but is really a tweener for a top 6 role, at this point in his development. They find another option for Bergy's line and slot Smith down, and he'd be dynamic.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
I still think a deal is made in the offseason for a top 6 forward. Likely at the draft. Can't tell who yet, though.

Lucic - Krejci - Top 6 addition
Marchand - Bergeron - Pasta
Griffith - Spooner - Smith
UFA - Cunningham - Ferlin

Utilize Koko/Eriksson/Soderberg's rights in a deal for a top 6 forward at the draft.

I like that, though I think you'll have to shed more than what you list for a legit top 6 guy. Some of their picks too maybe.

I also think that 3rd line would be eaten alive in their own end. If that's the lineup you're going to ice you need to keep a guy like Kelly around and allow him to float in the bottom 6 IMO. Or sign someone similar to him for that 4th line LW slot.

Cunningham isn't bad but I'm also not sold on him as a viable full time 4th line center option.

I like the top 6 a lot though, provided the 1st line RW is legit.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't know what to tell you guys Lou. I have no issue that they took the "tentative" approach of giving an 18 year old who weighs 165lbs, was injured in camp, had never played hockey in North America and had an ELC kick in at 10 NHL games a whopping 24 games in the AHL.

It's amazing to me that any one does.

Pasta was just clearly better than anyone else they had, age, weight, nationality...It was clear the tools he had then...He was easily along the same lines as Thornton, Seguin, Kessel, Wheeler, Lucic.... He just has it..IIRC Kane broke into the league at 155...Gaudreau is 150 lbs... Plus I would not have allowed him to go to the World JRs if I had him on my big club.

I certainly understand your point and why they tinkered, but it was dumb IMO.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think Smith would be a great 3rd line player but is really a tweener for a top 6 role, at this point in his development. They find another option for Bergy's line and slot Smith down, and he'd be dynamic.

I agree and at that cap number you could do that... He's definitely part of my top nine.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yeah never said once they proved themselves he wouldn't play them :shakehead

Point is he would rather insert a Kelly into a spot he shouldn't be in over trusting a Koko or Spooner to grow into the role.

Das all.

But Marchand proved himself from day 1. He did what he was asked, he was physical, he was defensively responsible, he was playing the system, and he played his role as pest. He got his shot, but from there he earned his place on the 4th line, and he earned his place on the second. Spooner and Koko got their shots. Spooner blew it. He played Spooner hockey, not Bruins hockey, which is the complaint about him in Providence. Yeah he had a breakout game in preseason, but he barely entered the defensive zone and coughed it up for a bad breakaway. The rest of his games with the big club he was nonexistent offensively, and just as bad on D. Koko I think is just not ready. In my opinion, he's trying to play the system, but he needs more work at the AHL level.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Good Lord saw Pasta live tonight, and couldn't be anymore impressed. Easily would have had 5 more wins with him up here the whole year and not in the AHL or WJC. No doubt he is going to be a star.

chicoutimicucumber

Aug 4, 2009
All comparisons with Seguin aside, if Pastrnak becomes a Marchand for the Bruins (without the baggages #63 brings with him), that is not such a bad thing. Especially if he finds his own Bergeron to play alongside with.

Great discussion in the thread. Appreciate the scouting reports from folks who’ve seen DP play in the A.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
One of the best things you can say about Pasta is that he makes the game look fun. Find some space, make a few plays. It's just a game. I love the kid

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Good Lord saw Pasta live tonight, and couldn't be anymore impressed. Easily would have had 5 more wins with him up here the whole year and not in the AHL or WJC. No doubt he is going to be a star.

I'm sorry, but this line of thought drives me a bit mad.

It's easy to look at him now and say things like that, but besides being set back with an injury at the beginning of the year, Pastrnak had to adjust to and learn the North American game and the Bruins style of play and gain a little confidence in himself. Yes, he has great talent, and yes, he's doing well now, but to state the Bruins "easily would have had 5 more wins with him up the whole year" is hyperbole. He made his mistakes and looked out of place at times (as all young players do) in Providence, not Boston. That's what the AHL is for.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

It's easy to look at him now and say things like that, but besides being set back with an injury at the beginning of the year, Pastrnak had to adjust to and learn the North American game and the Bruins style of play and gain a little confidence in himself. Yes, he has great talent, and yes, he's doing well now, but to state the Bruins "easily would have had 5 more wins with him up the whole year" is hyperbole. He made his mistakes and looked out of place at times (as all young players do) in Providence, not Boston. That's what the AHL is for.

Not to mention 5 extra wins is kinda absurd. In the NBA, they have a stat for win shares (essentially how many extra wins each player adds). There are only 11 players in the NBA who add 5 wins to their team per 36 games (the number that Pasta has missed). And that's in a league where the star players are a) on the floor 80% of the game even in the regular season and b) constantly involved in the offense when they're on the floor. I'm not sure anyone in the NHL adds 5 wins per 36 games, let alone David Pastrnak.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Not to mention 5 extra wins is kinda absurd. In the NBA, they have a stat for win shares (essentially how many extra wins each player adds). There are only 11 players in the NBA who add 5 wins to their team per 36 games (the number that Pasta has missed). And that's in a league where the star players are a) on the floor 80% of the game even in the regular season and b) constantly involved in the offense when they're on the floor. I'm not sure anyone in the NHL adds 5 wins per 36 games, let alone David Pastrnak.

Come on, guys. I think you know what he was getting at.

That wasn't a dig at management or coaching. It was a compliment to how good of a young player David Pastrnak is.

And to think I'm going to have to wait another entire year likely before I get a chance to see him live.

As critical as I've been of the Bruins FO this year, Pastrnak was gem. Not only insanely fun to watch, not only way ahead of his age for talent... But he just fits this organization like a glove.

Love him.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

That wasn't a dig at management or coaching. It was a compliment to how good of a young player David Pastrnak is.

And to think I'm going to have to wait another entire year likely before I get a chance to see him live.

As critical as I've been of the Bruins FO this year, Pastrnak was gem. Not only insanely fun to watch, not only way ahead of his age for talent... But he just fits this organization like a glove.

Love him.

Yes, it was a compliment, but it was also a dig.

Just one of my pet peeves - you see it on message boards and hear it on sports talk radio all the time. A player does well in The Show and it's "Why hasn't he been here the whole time?" Because he's being coached, adjusting, learning, taking his pratfalls and growing up in the minors, that's why.

Maybe it's because I'm into minor league baseball and hockey, and I've seen a lot of kids on their way up. I thought Dustin Pedroia was a stud in the making when I saw him in Double-A, but I wasn't asking why he wasn't in Boston. It takes time, even for guys you can tell have "it." And Pastrnak definitely does.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The "it" thing is so interesting. I sit here and try to convince myself that Dougie has "it" or maybe he will develop "it". But then someone like Pasta shows up who does and the comparison to someone who doesn't is very clear.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Just one of my pet peeves - you see it on message boards and hear it on sports talk radio all the time. A player does well in The Show and it's "Why hasn't he been here the whole time?" Because he's being coached, adjusting, learning, taking his pratfalls and growing up in the minors, that's why.

Maybe it's because I'm into minor league baseball and hockey, and I've seen a lot of kids on their way up. I thought Dustin Pedroia was a stud in the making when I saw him in Double-A, but I wasn't asking why he wasn't in Boston. It takes time, even for guys you can tell have "it." And Pastrnak definitely does.

Didn't need the AHL , sorry.

Get why they did it tho.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Well he's the reason for atleast three of our wins in his first 25.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Love him.

He should have gone for rehab or whatever and come right back up. Water under the bridge now but his 24 games in the AHL or whatever didn't make him something he already wasn't.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Oh, that's right. The Bruins won a game...:naughty:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The "it" thing is so interesting. I sit here and try to convince myself that Dougie has "it" or maybe he will develop "it". But then someone like Pasta shows up who does and the comparison to someone who doesn't is very clear.

Amazing point. I agree. Not sure how many games you are able to get to, but you see guys with skill or smarts and they stand out. Skill wise live I have no problem saying 88 reminded me of kovalchuk or gaborik. The constant motion. Now has a long way to go but reminded me of them. Hamilton, meh. He looks better on TV ..only have seen him 9 times live, never impressed, although I know he is immensely skilled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad