Why David Pastrnak will be the NHL's next break out star

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Stop talking nonsense. He wouldn't have helped at all without "learning" how to play hockey in the AHL for that incredibly short period of time...:laugh:

25 games isn't that short relative to his resume

Id argue that if they had him play on the roster right away he wouldn't have done as well and used up his nine games sooner eventually being placed in the AHL anyways and then not called back up again for awhile perhaps ever because he would be at his limit but didn't show he really belonged

His time in the ahl and wjc helped him when he did get called up

I saw him with providence live early in the year and he looked a lot rawer than he does now or even his first call up

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
25 games isn't that short relative to his resume

Id argue that if they had him play on the roster right away he wouldn't have done as well and used up his nine games sooner eventually being placed in the AHL anyways and then not called back up again for awhile perhaps ever because he would be at his limit but didn't show he really belonged

His time in the ahl and wjc helped him when he did get called up

I saw him with providence live early in the year and he looked a lot rawer than he does now or even his first call up

I just see the game he plays and when I compare it to Griffith, it's night and day. One guy belongs in a top 6 role and one does not, regardless of seasoning. I don't think 20 odd games in the A does much of anything, to be honest, when you're that young. Maybe it lets you get slightly acclimated to the system, but even then, the level of play is lesser, so there's an adjustment to be made when you play in the NHL. Pasta looked ready, and looked like a far better option than anything they'd rolled out in that spot all year long.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Amazing point. I agree. Not sure how many games you are able to get to, but you see guys with skill or smarts and they stand out. Skill wise live I have no problem saying 88 reminded me of kovalchuk or gaborik. The constant motion. Now has a long way to go but reminded me of them. Hamilton, meh. He looks better on TV ..only have seen him 9 times live, never impressed, although I know he is immensely skilled.

Forwards and D are really apples and oranges though IMO. Forwards rely so much more on instincts while D is so much more cerebral. There's a reason D take longer to develop. Dougie is still only 21 and I still think that even though he has his valleys in between the peaks his overall trend is upward. And he has made many offensive plays that have definitely made me think he has "it".

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I just see the game he plays and when I compare it to Griffith, it's night and day. One guy belongs in a top 6 role and one does not, regardless of seasoning. I don't think 20 odd games in the A does much of anything, to be honest, when you're that young. Maybe it lets you get slightly acclimated to the system, but even then, the level of play is lesser, so there's an adjustment to be made when you play in the NHL. Pasta looked ready, and looked like a far better option than anything they'd rolled out in that spot all year long.

The AHL to me really helped him both on and off the ice. I can tell you they would take him off to the side at times in practice and give him all sorts of lessons on board work, breakouts, reading defenseman, dealing with back pressure.

He was rawer than steak in some of the games I saw him especially one game in Manchester. Lonnie I love you man, but the AHL was super for him. They looked after him and he learned a bunch of stuff about being a professional.

I'm very surprised Pasta is this good right now- shocked. There are times I watch him like last night and think, this ****er is the best player on the team:laugh:

I may think the AHL wasn't that big a deal- but I had an advantage that I know all the **** they did with him, how he is, and saw him a bunch especially early on in pre New Years and all this bull **** weather.

He is better in Boston than Providence and that amazes me

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Win-now teams often don't do this though. Sure, there are some exceptions to be found, but most teams that are all-in don't break green rookies in with a long leash. They tend to go with the safer bet.

Pastrnak has been an exception as he hasn't been a defensive liability. He doesn't play his age, at all. Add his offensive instincts and you have a player we should all be really excited about.

It's fairly depressing that a thread about an emerging star and one of the few bright spots this season has devolved into the usual suspects wailing on about Seguin, Kessel, and Claude. Not surprising, but disappointing for sure.

It's more than depressing and disappointing--it's disgusting. :rant:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
The AHL to me really helped him both on and off the ice. I can tell you they would take him off to the side at times in practice and give him all sorts of lessons on board work, breakouts, reading defenseman, dealing with back pressure.

He was rawer than steak in some of the games I saw him especially one game in Manchester. Lonnie I love you man, but the AHL was super for him. They looked after him and he learned a bunch of stuff about being a professional.

I'm very surprised Pasta is this good right now- shocked. There are times I watch him like last night and think, this ****er is the best player on the team:laugh:

I may think the AHL wasn't that big a deal- but I had an advantage that I know all the **** they did with him, how he is, and saw him a bunch especially early on in pre New Years and all this bull **** weather.

He is better in Boston than Providence and that amazes me

Exactly. I saw him play for Providence more than once and he was all over the place. He'd look great for a shift or two and then like a lost sheep on others. His hard work has paid off tremendously.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Ripping up the AHL and World Juniors was the perfect path for Pasta this year. Look at the results you are seeing now, bruins handled this situation perfectly. The thing that worries me still is him getting run by another team. Pasta plays with no fear and is not afraid to make contact. I'm still perplexed how this kid fell to the Bruins. Should have been a top 5 pick easy. Keep drafting those Czech players

Last edited:

PlaceboFan

Sep 24, 2014
Ripping up the AHL and World Juniors was the perfect path for Pasta this year. Look at the results you are seeing now, bruins handled this situation perfectly. The thing that worries me still is him getting run by another team. Pasta plays with no fear and is not afraid to make contact. I'm still perplexed how this kid fell to the Bruins. Should have been a top 5 pick easy. Keep drafting those Czech players

Size is immensely overrated, even by professional scouts. Hockey is much more cerebral game than most other North American pro sports. Obviously good genetics help, but size is far less useful compared to explosiveness and quick feet. Still, even above that I would consider player's ability to think about the game. It is an attribute that is extremely hard to quantify though, unlike weight, height, and points scored.

Last edited:

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I don't know if Pastrnak is a goal scorer (he is relative to this team), I think his potential might be something of a lesser Patrick Kane. Probably ends up being a 60-70 point guy (pace) who scores 20-30 goals

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Pasta seems to be getting better and better.Cannot wait till he gets stronger and shows strengths to d men trying to out muscle him.Once that day comes lookout.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Yes crazy how he fell.Must if been afraid cause he was hurt.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I don't know if Pastrnak is a goal scorer (he is relative to this team), I think his potential might be something of a lesser Patrick Kane. Probably ends up being a 60-70 point guy (pace) who scores 20-30 goals

With his hands, creativeness and flashes of great 1on1 defensive play he kind of reminds me of Datsyuk. Not saying I think he'll be as good as Pavel, offensively or defensively, but I don't remember the last common comparison to Pasta(Kane, Kessel, Giroux, etc) that brought that defensive awareness and stick work that he does at a young age while still bringing a highly skilled game. He still has to work on some things but he's already very solid defensively for a undersized rookie.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
So far he is the most dynamic rookie I've seen in a B's uniform period. I get excited when I see him on the ice. Haven't been able to say that about a player in a while. He is so good at finding space that I can't believe he is 19. I think him and Krejci are going to develop some sick chemistry over the next few years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Because he DOES everything, and he just keep getting better,
he's defensive play is great already.

He's a mix of bergeron/sequin.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
With how crappy this team has played this year combined with how young Pasta is, it's tough to know at this point if he will become a scoring stud or not. What I've seen so far leads me to believe the kid will be a very good scorer over the course of his career. He will at least be above average based on his current skill set alone. What continues to amaze me is his IQ. I don't know if I've ever seen a kid come into the league at this age and in so few games make great decisions on such a consistent basis.

There have been more talented kids come in and score more goals, but as far as decision making I'm not sure. It's as if he has a ridiculous innate sense of where he's supposed to be on the ice and what he's supposed to do. Sure, he sometimes tries to make a difficult pass from time to time that might be ill-advised, but I'll take that since I know he's just trying to make something happen. And then we come to his defense -- holy crap does this kid ever get it. He simply has an incredible all-around game for a person of his age. It's kind of weird actually. It will not take long for a lot of teams in the NHL to wonder how in the hell they could pass on this kid in the draft.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to see him get a bit more velocity on his shot, will come with practice and increased strength. But other than that this kid is golden.

iiBruins17*

I cant wait to see what he does in a few years. His back check/stick lift is dynamite too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad