Why Claude will sleep well...even if you wont

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
It's all good.

The Bruins are too once Krejci is in the lineup.

With Krejci back, Looch will be better. Add in Griffith who played extremely well with Marchy and Bergy in the preseason. If you can play well with those two, the possibilities are endless.

Once you add that line to the MBS and KSE lines, you are a lot better than before. The 4th line is interesting but the potential is there.

Per practice, they've kept Dougie and Z together and restored the Krug- McQuaid pairing that has been good in the past. Seids and Miller is interesting again but could work.

Krejci is the linchpin that holds the team together.

maybe I don't get it.

aren't we supposed to be one of the most balanced teams in the league, goal scoring by committee, great depth, roll 4 lines etc etc?

As opposed to the offense falling apart with one player being out? (krejci)

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Well the verdict is still out on the NYI, but I expect them to be a top 5 team in the East this year with their additions.

Let's look at Toronto. Kessel hasn't had a #1 Center since he's been there and has still been elite. Their defensive personnel is below average and they have been developing some of their prospects. Before Bernier arrived, they didn't have a half-decent goalie during his entire time there. Toronto's doesn't have the personnel to go on a long playoff run.

I think the same can be said in Seguin's case. Granted he's only been in Dallas one year, he helped to lead the Stars to their first playoff appearance since 2009. They are still building and don't have a championship level defense yet.

IMO, the Bruins have had the talent to be consistent Stanley Cup contenders for the last 4 years at least. I don't think that's the case this year unless we make some significant personnel improvements. I'm not even that big of a Claude hater. His system has proven it can work. I just think his coaching style has held some players back offensively and has had an influence on Chia making those moves. I just wish he would have let Seguin be Seguin.

I don't understand why he never just played Seguin at 3C. They could've let him work out his warts during the regular season.

Chiarelli made that Dallas deal thinking he was getting the Dallas version of Loui. I'm willing to be IF he knew he was getting this version of Loui he would've asked for Benn or Seguin would be in another jersey right now (not Dallas or Boston).

I agree. While it's REALLY early in the season, I just don't see the horses here needed to get this team deep into the postseason.

Everybody really overlooked the loss of Iginla. He wasn't 26yr old Iginla, but he scored 30 goals! & being on the top line kept other wings in the proper pecking order.

I don't see any RW available. Iginla needed to be re-signed.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
maybe I don't get it.

aren't we supposed to be one of the most balanced teams in the league, goal scoring by committee, great depth, roll 4 lines etc etc?

As opposed to the offense falling apart with one player being out? (krejci)

Well I think the issue you're seeing too is the domino affect of a player being out, everything just trickles down.

Yes you need to have depth, but if one of your too players goes down now your depth is keyed on and shut down more easily

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Good points but I'll counter with; what have Toronto Dallas & NYI done in the playoffs lately? Kessel & Seguin can light up the score board all they want but they've yet to carry their teams on deep playoff runs.

i'll counter with why does Krejci get a pass for one Stanley cup win (in large part thanks to timmy) and more than a few choke jobs. (Washington, montreal?)

point being, if you are the best player on your team and your team sucks, is that saying more about you, or your team?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Well I think the issue you're seeing too is the domino affect of a player being out, everything just trickles down.

Yes you need to have depth, but if one of your too players goes down now your depth is keyed on and shut down more easily

that's exactly my point though.

maybe its because the depth and the rest of the team really isn't there.

losing one player shouldn't be the down fall of a truly talented and deep team.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
i'll counter with why does Krejci get a pass for one Stanley cup win (in large part thanks to timmy) and more than a few choke jobs. (Washington, montreal?)

point being, if you are the best player on your team and your team sucks, is that saying more about you, or your team?

He's been to 2 Cup Finals in the last 4 years. That counts for something. & he led the league in playoff scoring for both those runs.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
He's been to 2 Cup Finals in the last 4 years. That counts for something. & he led the league in playoff scoring for both those runs.

it counts for something, but he should have led the playoffs in scoring when they went to finals, he played more games than the other guys on 28 other teams.

I don't want to get to far into the Chicago series with things, I don't think my opinion of how we got there would be to well received....

but for some reason I don't think you are trying to say that we got to the finals and won the cup soley on Krejci's back are you? (similar to saying Seguin or Kessel haven't 'led' their teams to the cup finals so they are somehow inferior based on that)

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
it counts for something, but he should have led the playoffs in scoring when they went to finals, he played more games than the other guys on 28 other teams.

I don't want to get to far into the Chicago series with things, I don't think my opinion of how we got there would be to well received....

but for some reason I don't think you are trying to say that we got to the finals and won the cup soley on Krejci's back are you? (similar to saying Seguin or Kessel haven't 'led' their teams to the cup finals so they are somehow inferior based on that)

No what I'm saying is as of right now Kessel & Seguin (thus far) are complimentary pieces.

I wouldn't want Chiarelli paying Kessel $8m per to play wing on Krejci's line (even though he's exactly what they need there). Having Kessel would mean one or more of Chara Seidenberg Bergeron Lucic Krejci Marchand Rask are shipped out.

Krejci & Bergeron haven't solely carried the Bruins, but I'd go to battle with either of them over Kessel & Seguin.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
No what I'm saying is as of right now Kessel & Seguin (thus far) are complimentary pieces.

I wouldn't want Chiarelli paying Kessel $8m per to play wing on Krejci's line (even though he's exactly what they need there). Having Kessel would mean one or more of Chara Seidenberg Bergeron Lucic Krejci Marchand Rask are shipped out.

Krejci & Bergeron haven't solely carried the Bruins, but I'd go to battle with either of them over Kessel & Seguin.

I'd agree with that, Kessel at 8 mill is not what I would want either, and I would generally take krejci over both and definitely Bergeron over both.

Kessels 8 mill is on Burkie though, just like Seguins 6 mill is on Chia.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Wouldn't you agree though, that clode has a lot of say in the type of player chia targets? They seem to be pretty in sync about the system and type of players needed to make it work? Its obvious someone has prejudices towards certain players.

Don't you think Chia's moves are a product of Claude's system and input though? How many players have to leave this system and light it up somewhere else? Kessel leaves and becomes a top 10 scoring forward. Seguin leaves and becomes a top 10 scoring forward. Even Boychuk looks like a completely different player.

The coach isn't letting these elite players his GM is giving him reach their potential. When that happens the GM has to make adjustments. He has to give his coach the players that fit best into his system. If Seguin was putting up 80+ points for a coach that let him play his game would Chia have traded him in the first place? I doubt it. I don't think it would have mattered who we traded Seguin for. They would've come here and regressed.

Sure, Chia's drafting has been sub-par at best, and he's had some bad contracts, but I think the coach and his system are just as much to blame. Claude needs to do a better job of adjusting to the skill set of his players and letting them play their game. Not everyone has to be Jordan Caron.

I'm not in the business, just a longtime fan. I really don't know the dynamic between GM and coach as far as player drafts and trades go. I have noticed that coaches often defer and deflect questions about player acquisitions to GMs, often noting that they have no control over that and they'll do the best with whatever players they have, but that certainly could be simply lip service.

That said, even if Chia were trying to draft to fit Clode's system, I still think that he could draft and trade for quality players regardless of whether they have HERETOFORE played a Clode-like style. That is, most talented players can be molded to play as such. We've got Pastrnak now, who, by all accounts, would play nothing like what Clode would want, but we still got him (which is good) and hopefully he can be molded.

I still fault him for the Seguin deal; no way anyway can tell me he wouldn't have been able to perform well for this team. The immaturity stuff was just a canard. His partner in crime, Marchand, who is only marginally more mature, could probably nonetheless have kept him in check. And, Chia's handling of JB is still perplexing to me.

Bottom line, if we had good players, they could play Clode's system and ride it all the way. Problem is, because of subpar drafting, poorly thought-out signings, and questionable trades, we don't have all the good players we need.

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
Don't you think Chia's moves are a product of Claude's system and input though? How many players have to leave this system and light it up somewhere else? Kessel leaves and becomes a top 10 scoring forward. Seguin leaves and becomes a top 10 scoring forward. Even Boychuk looks like a completely different player.

The coach isn't letting these elite players his GM is giving him reach their potential. When that happens the GM has to make adjustments. He has to give his coach the players that fit best into his system. If Seguin was putting up 80+ points for a coach that let him play his game would Chia have traded him in the first place? I doubt it. I don't think it would have mattered who we traded Seguin for. They would've come here and regressed.

Sure, Chia's drafting has been sub-par at best, and he's had some bad contracts, but I think the coach and his system are just as much to blame. Claude needs to do a better job of adjusting to the skill set of his players and letting them play their game. Not everyone has to be Jordan Caron.

Wow we had very similar thoughts on this!:laugh:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Me, three weeks ago: "The Patriots look like ****. Thank god the hockey season is right around the corner"

Me, three minutes ago: "So, how about them Patriots?"

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
**** can them all starting with Cam!!!!

Careful what ya wish for my friend, not sure if you recall the previous decade (maybe just a touch less) where this organization was beyond irrelevant and played before crowds that made it nice and easy for me and Mrs.Odaat to purchase inexpensive seats and move down to the Filet Mignon one`s at the barn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad