Why Claude will sleep well...even if you wont

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Sorry, I was trying to make a point about the LA system being a balanced one, but I didn't do a very good job.

It's all good.

The Bruins are too once Krejci is in the lineup.

With Krejci back, Looch will be better. Add in Griffith who played extremely well with Marchy and Bergy in the preseason. If you can play well with those two, the possibilities are endless.

Once you add that line to the MBS and KSE lines, you are a lot better than before. The 4th line is interesting but the potential is there.

Per practice, they've kept Dougie and Z together and restored the Krug- McQuaid pairing that has been good in the past. Seids and Miller is interesting again but could work.

Krejci is the linchpin that holds the team together.

ElkabombKid9

May 18, 2007
Boston
I find it very interesting...but stupid...(only old timers will get that reference) that so many people are quick to find fault with the system (which many coaches around the league have openly admired and admitted that they wished to emulate, and has garnered us a SC and a PT in the last 4 years) but totally ignore the larger issue, in my view: the fact that we suffer most in the quality of our players--a situation laid entirely at the feet of Chia.

Yes, DKH is correct, we're a paycheck to paycheck team and when our car breaks down, we bounce checks all over town. But is that any way to run a team?

We wouldn't be in this position had Chia made better trades. I don't see this team as being a top contender even with DK and Soupy back now that we're stuck with LE and JB is gone. We just don't have the horses. Sure, a deadline deal might help. Then again, we could get hosed AGAIN in a panic trade this winter. Not a good spot to be in.

I don't know what they learned Chia up in Cambridge, but looks to me like he done out-thunk himself one too many times.

It's 99% him; 1% Clode.

Wouldn't you agree though, that clode has a lot of say in the type of player chia targets? They seem to be pretty in sync about the system and type of players needed to make it work? Its obvious someone has prejudices towards certain players.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I think Julien is a dinasour on the verge of extinction. The NHL has evolved away from his system and he is not adjusting to it. The days of winning very low scoring games are over. The league wants scoring and the rule book reflects it. Speed and skill is necessary in today's game. I think Julien's rigidity will cause his demise and dismissal.

goals scored has gone down around the league basically every year since the lockout in 04-05

the days of winning low scoring games are very much alive

05-06 the league average was 3.08 goals per game last year

13-14 it was 2.72 if anything the game is turning back into claude system of low scoring games.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
I find it very interesting...but stupid...(only old timers will get that reference) that so many people are quick to find fault with the system (which many coaches around the league have openly admired and admitted that they wished to emulate, and has garnered us a SC and a PT in the last 4 years) but totally ignore the larger issue, in my view: the fact that we suffer most in the quality of our players--a situation laid entirely at the feet of Chia.

Yes, DKH is correct, we're a paycheck to paycheck team and when our car breaks down, we bounce checks all over town. But is that any way to run a team?

We wouldn't be in this position had Chia made better trades. I don't see this team as being a top contender even with DK and Soupy back now that we're stuck with LE and JB is gone. We just don't have the horses. Sure, a deadline deal might help. Then again, we could get hosed AGAIN in a panic trade this winter. Not a good spot to be in.

I don't know what they learned Chia up in Cambridge, but looks to me like he done out-thunk himself one too many times.

It's 99% him; 1% Clode.

Don't you think Chia's moves are a product of Claude's system and input though? How many players have to leave this system and light it up somewhere else? Kessel leaves and becomes a top 10 scoring forward. Seguin leaves and becomes a top 10 scoring forward. Even Boychuk looks like a completely different player.

The coach isn't letting these elite players his GM is giving him reach their potential. When that happens the GM has to make adjustments. He has to give his coach the players that fit best into his system. If Seguin was putting up 80+ points for a coach that let him play his game would Chia have traded him in the first place? I doubt it. I don't think it would have mattered who we traded Seguin for. They would've come here and regressed.

Sure, Chia's drafting has been sub-par at best, and he's had some bad contracts, but I think the coach and his system are just as much to blame. Claude needs to do a better job of adjusting to the skill set of his players and letting them play their game. Not everyone has to be Jordan Caron.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Wouldn't you agree though, that clode has a lot of say in the type of player chia targets? They seem to be pretty in sync about the system and type of players needed to make it work? Its obvious someone has prejudices towards certain players.

I wouldn`t say he has "a lot" of say, I`d wager the assessments of players which Chia values most would be the amateur/pro scouts the organization pays to watch?

Then Chia and Sweeney/Cam have a conversation, bring CJ into the fold if a deal is possible, then ultimately, unless I`m way off, nothing gets done without the final OK/sign off from Cam

Claude has his faults, show me a coach who doesn`t, he`s one of the best, his peers seem to openly agree, fans here, not so much when the team hits a rough patch

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
Don't you think Chia's moves are a product of Claude's system and input though? How many players have to leave this system and light it up somewhere else? Kessel leaves and becomes a top 10 scoring forward. Seguin leaves and becomes a top 10 scoring forward. Even Boychuk looks like a completely different player.

The coach isn't letting these elite players his GM is giving him reach their potential. When that happens the GM has to make adjustments. He has to give his coach the players that fit best into his system. If Seguin was putting up 80+ points for a coach that let him play his game would Chia have traded him in the first place? I doubt it. I don't think it would have mattered who we traded Seguin for. They would've come here and regressed.

Sure, Chia's drafting has been sub-par at best, and he's had some bad contracts, but I think the coach and his system are just as much to blame. Claude needs to do a better job of adjusting to the skill set of his players and letting them play their game. Not everyone has to be Jordan Caron.

I really can't see how Claude gets blame. Seguin would never play center with Krejci and Bergeron, and we can all agree that both are better OVERALL talents. And I agree, I think they let go of Seguin too soon. Where that trade is on potential losing end for the Bs is the return. Fraser, to me, is not and will not be an NHL player on a contending team.

My biggest issue, especially for a GM who HAS KNOWN for a few years that big contracts for players would be coming up and no successful draft picks coming in, to only fire his top drafting guys this past year. they should have done it in 2011-12.

PC is screwed because he has no first line RW and, as I am sure everyone has looked, there are really no viable options in trade market that I can see. And Eriksson, hate to say it because I loved him in Dallas, has been a bust to this point. Hooray for Smith, though

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
As others have mentioned, the Kings totally disprove this theory. Kings and Bruins combined account for a huge chunk of the last several cups. Teams that pride themselves on winning tight low scoring games won on the back end and in nets.

So there's that...

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I always thought Clode and Seguin got along well. Are we really going to blame Clode for not getting 80 pts out of Seguin as a 3LC or 2RW? C'mon, mannn.

Surely the guy has input, and the GM will try to get the right players for his coach's system, but there's no way in hell that he has more sway in personnel decisions than Neely and Chia. As Dom noted, Neely signs off on these decisions. He is above Chia. Let's hold him accountable too, as hard as it might be due to his legacy as a franchise legend.

And Clode indeed sleeps well on his Sealy Clode-opedic.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Best coach in the league. How quickly we forget.

My only complaint is that they don't mix the lines up in the playoffs when some players get to a 10+ game goalless streak. When they are losing in game 7 in the 3rd with 10min left he starts shuffling it up to try and create something.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Like the cute little girl in the Arbella commercial eagerly starring into the tumbling dryer waiting for her favorite blanket to finish doing its thing, knowing all will be well shortly- Claude Julien has that same feeling with the thoughts David Krejci and Gregory Campbell will soon return giving him his version of that warm blanket and the safety of knowing 'the SYSTEM' should be fully operational with his Fantastic Four.

This has been a trying month for Claude but security is only days away. By this time next week barring injury, every one of the 3,600 seconds in a regulation game should have Krejci, Patrice Bergeron, Carl Soderberg, or Campbell on the ice. Take that little girl.

And it gets almost as good at wing- of the 8 wingers he will dress- four are Stanley Cup winners in Boston (Lucic, Kelly, Marchand, and Paille), two others (Eriksson and Smith) have been here, and the 7th Simon Gagne, I wouldn't put it past Claude to have a poster of in his Man Cave. He's in comfort land here.

He can ever resubmit Bartkowksi to the second pairing where he played well last regular season and play 7 guys who were on last years team and 6 with SC Finals experience. Again- more comfort for Claude.

This may not seem great to many, and with a couple of potentially stud young offensive forwards in Providence in Khokhlachev and Pastrnak nearby I think we can forget that.

This is a coach who has a SYSTEM that Loui Erkisson- a player who averaged over 70 points in a four year period, and a two time Olympic medalist who openly admitted at Shawn Thornton's summer charity he attended that he struggled with the system.

This is a coach who oversaw Tyler Seguin's last 27 games in Boston score 1 goal.

This is a coach who oversaw Jaromir Jagr score 1 goal in his last 27 games in Boston as well.

Seguin and Jagr combined 2 goals in an aggregate 54 games.

Ryan Spooner the 2012-2013 all rookie first team AHL center has not scored a goal in 25 games and today in the Globe Sunday column Fluto makes a description of his center play as if describing instead how Ryan looked after a night in the Amittyville Horror House.

Add Spooner, a creative, superb playmaker, and excellent skater to the list with Seguin and Jagr and you have 79 games and 2 goals.

And I'm reading Pastrnak and Koko can help this team:laugh:

Matt Fraser has been getting hammered here and the 25 goal predictions of last week seem hard to believe. I thought he'd get his Chris Bourque 15-25 games to show if he could do it, but with the Gagne signing and the call up of Seth Griffith, he may have gotten only 2.5 games.

Claude did not put Fraser in the best position to succeed. The kid can shoot it. He also finds seems. I personally don't like him on the RW unless its on the power play- but no sign of him.

Washington last night put a power play (their second unit) overloaded on one side with two left shot forwards on the wall/half boards- Burakovsky and Kuznetsov; they put a single shooter on the opposite side relatively high, and two right shot defenseman- Green and Niskanen. Result goal.

Why cant Boston have Fraser as the shooter about 20 feet out in the seem in the defensive box? because he is not a vet? Claude has to cater to Lucic or who the hell knows?

I am going to be curious to see how Fraser is used if it all.

But to think Pastrnak could come up here and do a few dipsy do's and try fishing for pucks instead of going all Byron Bitz seems a bit far fetched.

Koko and Pastrnak look like two dynamic players to me. My DP viewing is limited but I've seen Koko a lot and he can be a pretty big (and exciting) point producer at the next level- but I just don't see the SYSTEM allowing this.

The System can work very well with a very good goalie, strong defense (hello Johnny), and four centers who at their core will come back and support the defense.

Claude pretty much still has that (hello Johnny)

I do like Julien though- he's been at the helm of this Bruins renaissance and by all accounts as a damn good guy. I am not asking for his removal, just a word of caution as Brick said last night:laugh: the system is your friend....and those four centers are his blanket....and its almost ready.

funny thing is though, Chia (and I think clode) talked about changing the system this year and being more aggressive.

and that doesn't seem to be clodes friend.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
This board is so like Lucic. Trying to bring the puck out of their zone with 2 defenders on him. Trying a lateral pass at their blueline with a defender between him and the the player he wants to pass to.

As I see it the system is the basis, the lack of adjusting to different parameters/elements is the problem.

I loved watching 2 PVRed periods of Phil The Thrill last night. Ok, so it was only one period before I fell asleep due to earlier yard work. Back checking and using the stick in pass lanes better than Zorro would. I am asking to have him back in Boston, just saying when you draft or get these type of elements you work with them. You let them go about their business and get them to be accountable.

Time this management holds Lucic accountable to whatever they seem to see that he should bring. Time they hold themselves accountable too. Being an All Star 50 goal scorer, battler, able to run a charity, dress in a suit and watch hockey games should not be what gets you a paycheck after retirement. Maybe if one wants to sit next to Barry Pederson on a broadcast it does but not more.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Kessel, Wheeler, and Seguin all played well in this system. They had ups and downs like any young player, but they produced. If Seguin or Kessel stayed beyond their entry level deals, they would have rivaled Savard's output here. It's the expectation that they had to be something more at such a young age that did them in. Can't draft a Kane and expect the final result to be a Toews.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Kessel, Wheeler, and Seguin all played well in this system. They had ups and downs like any young player, but they produced. If Seguin or Kessel stayed beyond their entry level deals, they would have rivaled Savard's output here. It's the expectation that they had to be something more at such a young age that did them in. Can't draft a Kane and expect the final result to be a Toews.

um, Kane had 2 70 point seasons and led the league in playoff scoring before he was 22. Not sure that's the best comparison when trying to explain why Seguin and Kessel didn't produce immediately.

member 96824

um, Kane had 2 70 point seasons and led the league in playoff scoring before he was 22. Not sure that's the best comparison when trying to explain why Seguin and Kessel didn't produce immediately.

I interpreted the point being, Kane isnt Toews and the Blackhawks drafted him knowing that, therefore arent trying to beat it into him.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I interpreted the point being, Kane isnt Toews and the Blackhawks drafted him knowing that, therefore arent trying to beat it into him.

I still think it's a bad example. if Kessel or Seguin had produced like Kane from day 1 in this league then the Bruins wouldn't have gotten rid of either of them

member 96824

I still think it's a bad example. if Kessel or Seguin had produced like Kane from day 1 in this league then the Bruins wouldn't have gotten rid of either of them

I've always believed they would have ditched him after the cab stuff. (That was pre cup) or if not that, definitely after the Cinqo de Mayo bender

May not be accurate, but just my belief. Not that it really matters.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

Good points but I'll counter with; what have Toronto Dallas & NYI done in the playoffs lately? Kessel & Seguin can light up the score board all they want but they've yet to carry their teams on deep playoff runs.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

Seguin lead the team in scoring as a 19 year old 2nd year player. Kessel had 36 goals in 70 games in his final year (before turning 21). Maybe not at Kane's level out of the gate (few are), but these guys were producing at a young age, on a great team, in a defensive system before they were traded. They simply weren't here long enough to completely flourish IMO.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
Good points but I'll counter with; what have Toronto Dallas & NYI done in the playoffs lately? Kessel & Seguin can light up the score board all they want but they've yet to carry their teams on deep playoff runs.

Well the verdict is still out on the NYI, but I expect them to be a top 5 team in the East this year with their additions.

Let's look at Toronto. Kessel hasn't had a #1 Center since he's been there and has still been elite. Their defensive personnel is below average and they have been developing some of their prospects. Before Bernier arrived, they didn't have a half-decent goalie during his entire time there. Toronto's doesn't have the personnel to go on a long playoff run.

I think the same can be said in Seguin's case. Granted he's only been in Dallas one year, he helped to lead the Stars to their first playoff appearance since 2009. They are still building and don't have a championship level defense yet.

IMO, the Bruins have had the talent to be consistent Stanley Cup contenders for the last 4 years at least. I don't think that's the case this year unless we make some significant personnel improvements. I'm not even that big of a Claude hater. His system has proven it can work. I just think his coaching style has held some players back offensively and has had an influence on Chia making those moves. I just wish he would have let Seguin be Seguin.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

Yes, that's essentially what I was getting at. Also the fact that they weren't accepted even though at the time they were giving you value on the ice (both playing key scoring roles on top teams). Their playing styles contrasted the rest of the group, but I always considered that a good thing. That's what they were drafted as and that is what ultimately became (albeit with different organizations).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad