Why Claude will sleep well...even if you wont

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Like the cute little girl in the Arbella commercial eagerly starring into the tumbling dryer waiting for her favorite blanket to finish doing its thing, knowing all will be well shortly- Claude Julien has that same feeling with the thoughts David Krejci and Gregory Campbell will soon return giving him his version of that warm blanket and the safety of knowing 'the SYSTEM' should be fully operational with his Fantastic Four.

This has been a trying month for Claude but security is only days away. By this time next week barring injury, every one of the 3,600 seconds in a regulation game should have Krejci, Patrice Bergeron, Carl Soderberg, or Campbell on the ice. Take that little girl.

And it gets almost as good at wing- of the 8 wingers he will dress- four are Stanley Cup winners in Boston (Lucic, Kelly, Marchand, and Paille), two others (Eriksson and Smith) have been here, and the 7th Simon Gagne, I wouldn't put it past Claude to have a poster of in his Man Cave. He's in comfort land here.

He can ever resubmit Bartkowksi to the second pairing where he played well last regular season and play 7 guys who were on last years team and 6 with SC Finals experience. Again- more comfort for Claude.

This may not seem great to many, and with a couple of potentially stud young offensive forwards in Providence in Khokhlachev and Pastrnak nearby I think we can forget that.

This is a coach who has a SYSTEM that Loui Erkisson- a player who averaged over 70 points in a four year period, and a two time Olympic medalist who openly admitted at Shawn Thornton's summer charity he attended that he struggled with the system.

This is a coach who oversaw Tyler Seguin's last 27 games in Boston score 1 goal.

This is a coach who oversaw Jaromir Jagr score 1 goal in his last 27 games in Boston as well.

Seguin and Jagr combined 2 goals in an aggregate 54 games.

Ryan Spooner the 2012-2013 all rookie first team AHL center has not scored a goal in 25 games and today in the Globe Sunday column Fluto makes a description of his center play as if describing instead how Ryan looked after a night in the Amittyville Horror House.

Add Spooner, a creative, superb playmaker, and excellent skater to the list with Seguin and Jagr and you have 79 games and 2 goals.

And I'm reading Pastrnak and Koko can help this team:laugh:

Matt Fraser has been getting hammered here and the 25 goal predictions of last week seem hard to believe. I thought he'd get his Chris Bourque 15-25 games to show if he could do it, but with the Gagne signing and the call up of Seth Griffith, he may have gotten only 2.5 games.

Claude did not put Fraser in the best position to succeed. The kid can shoot it. He also finds seems. I personally don't like him on the RW unless its on the power play- but no sign of him.

Washington last night put a power play (their second unit) overloaded on one side with two left shot forwards on the wall/half boards- Burakovsky and Kuznetsov; they put a single shooter on the opposite side relatively high, and two right shot defenseman- Green and Niskanen. Result goal.

Why cant Boston have Fraser as the shooter about 20 feet out in the seem in the defensive box? because he is not a vet? Claude has to cater to Lucic or who the hell knows?

I am going to be curious to see how Fraser is used if it all.

But to think Pastrnak could come up here and do a few dipsy do's and try fishing for pucks instead of going all Byron Bitz seems a bit far fetched.

Koko and Pastrnak look like two dynamic players to me. My DP viewing is limited but I've seen Koko a lot and he can be a pretty big (and exciting) point producer at the next level- but I just don't see the SYSTEM allowing this.

The System can work very well with a very good goalie, strong defense (hello Johnny), and four centers who at their core will come back and support the defense.

Claude pretty much still has that (hello Johnny)

I do like Julien though- he's been at the helm of this Bruins renaissance and by all accounts as a damn good guy. I am not asking for his removal, just a word of caution as Brick said last night:laugh: the system is your friend....and those four centers are his blanket....and its almost ready.

Last edited:

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I've long been an opponent of the system on the basis that I'd actually like to watch entertaining hockey.

I'm not saying we need pond hockey...but Julien could at least open up the game a little bit.

Why they draft talented offensive players if they won't be able to cut it in the "system" is beyond me.

Tyler freaking Seguin...a Top 5 offensive talent in the entire league wasn't good enough. And it was clear how good he was going to be after his second year when he lead the Bruins in goals and points. But no...instead we overpay mediocre talent.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Couldn't really figure out your point

Good thing? Bad thing? Neither?

good thing as long as you have the players but as Brickley said last night when you fall behind and don't have the firepower others do, its a tough hole to get out of

not everyone can play it (Erkisson amazingly said it this summer he had a bit of adjustment) and some high end offensive players may not do well in such a structured and disciplined system.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
I think Julien is a dinasour on the verge of extinction. The NHL has evolved away from his system and he is not adjusting to it. The days of winning very low scoring games are over. The league wants scoring and the rule book reflects it. Speed and skill is necessary in today's game. I think Julien's rigidity will cause his demise and dismissal.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Julien is a dinasour on the verge of extinction. The NHL has evolved away from his system and he is not adjusting to it. The days of winning very low scoring games are over. The league wants scoring and the rule book reflects it. Speed and skill is necessary in today's game. I think Julien's rigidity will cause his demise and dismissal.

I mean, if we ignore the team that has won two of the last three championships then this theory makes total sense.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
I mean, if we ignore the team that has won two of the last three championships then this theory makes total sense.

Are you suggesting the Kings are an unskilled team playing a defense first system? Living out west allows me to see most of their games and I don't think their system is nearly as restrictive as the Bruins'. The Kings have several players that can fill the net and don't need tons of chances.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's still defense first. They scored the least amount of goals amongst playoff teams last year. They also just beat the Bruins out for least given up.

Just because some of their guys got hot in the playoffs doesn't change the fact that the Kings are a defense first hockey team.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good coach but mentally hes not the right fit in 2014 like he was in 2008 doesn't adjust enough.

Aging Siedenberg and Chara along with the other D men being shaky and us giving away our most reliable one means we risk falling apart completely if we can his style though for something more open.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Okay, the numbers don't lie, but in my opinion, the Kings's play a much faster, creative offense than Boston. The Bruins seem to force the puck to the points no matter what the opposition does, but the Kings use an aggressive cycle to open up space around the net.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Are you suggesting the Kings are an unskilled team playing a defense first system? Living out west allows me to see most of their games and I don't think their system is nearly as restrictive as the Bruins'. The Kings have several players that can fill the net and don't need tons of chances.

Yet the Bruins have outscored the Kings 3 of the last 4 years.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've long been an opponent of the system on the basis that I'd actually like to watch entertaining hockey.

I'm not saying we need pond hockey...but Julien could at least open up the game a little bit.

Why they draft talented offensive players if they won't be able to cut it in the "system" is beyond me.

Tyler freaking Seguin...a Top 5 offensive talent in the entire league wasn't good enough. And it was clear how good he was going to be after his second year when he lead the Bruins in goals and points. But no...instead we overpay mediocre talent.

See I disagree with the notion that this team has not been exciting to watch under Julien. Good grief they were #3 in the NHL last year in goals scored, and were a lot closer to #1 then they were to #4

As bad as it looks right now, I suspect they will be top 10 in the league again this season

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
The on-ice product won't matter as long as JJ keeps selling his overpriced tickets and eighteen dollar burgers.

LouisSleigher

Jul 6, 2013
SW Ohio
Very interesting points, but it's not like Claude's system doesn't allow scoring. Last year, we scored the 3rd most goals in the league and 1st in the conference.

This year, we are just not yet in sync, missing Krejci, and haven't replaced Iginla.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I find it very interesting...but stupid...(only old timers will get that reference) that so many people are quick to find fault with the system (which many coaches around the league have openly admired and admitted that they wished to emulate, and has garnered us a SC and a PT in the last 4 years) but totally ignore the larger issue, in my view: the fact that we suffer most in the quality of our players--a situation laid entirely at the feet of Chia.

Yes, DKH is correct, we're a paycheck to paycheck team and when our car breaks down, we bounce checks all over town. But is that any way to run a team?

We wouldn't be in this position had Chia made better trades. I don't see this team as being a top contender even with DK and Soupy back now that we're stuck with LE and JB is gone. We just don't have the horses. Sure, a deadline deal might help. Then again, we could get hosed AGAIN in a panic trade this winter. Not a good spot to be in.

I don't know what they learned Chia up in Cambridge, but looks to me like he done out-thunk himself one too many times.

It's 99% him; 1% Clode.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
They were the 4th worst in the NHL when it actually mattered, in the playoffs.

Yep. Mike ****ing Weaver shut us down. Mike. Weaver.

Honestly, what makes them lose a lot of the time is that they DON'T play their system. We're supposed to grind other teams down, wear them out as the game goes on. Lately, they've been overpassing way too much, doing stupid "cute" moves like blind passes, and in general just refuse to shoot. I like how we attack the line now, that'll drive our possession up. But you can't do **** with possession if you just pass the puck around and blind pass it to the other team.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
In not discrediting any of the points you are making as a few may have some merit but almost every thread on the first page in this forum has turned into a microscopic hyper analytical deconstruction of every negative aspect of every cog in the bruins existence from the owner all the way down to the prospects playing in the NHL for the first time.

Did I mention that the first week of the regular season hasn't even passed yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad