Why Can't the 2014-2015 Avalanche Score Goals?

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Paul Stastny

This. Stastny's value there was vastly underestimated. His chemistry and possession abilities there were really strong.

The other thing is that PAP, as much as he got crapped on there, seemed to play good there and they exchange that for Briere. Bad trade IMO.

With ROR being shopped, I really can't explain why they didn't re-sign Stastny because centre depth, once their biggest strength, now looks not as good.

I know Avs fans will say I don't know what I'm talking about but these two moves ended up being really terrible for their forward group. Hopefully Everberg gets to be a scoring threat by next season. That would help.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's not like the avs could've done any more to keep Stastny, and no PAP didn't play good with the avs last year. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

LaCarriere

This. Stastny's value there was vastly underestimated. His chemistry and possession abilities there were really strong.

The other thing is that PAP, as much as he got crapped on there, seemed to play good there and they exchange that for Briere. Bad trade IMO.

With ROR being shopped, I really can't explain why they didn't re-sign Stastny because centre depth, once their biggest strength, now looks not as good.

I know Avs fans will say I don't know what I'm talking about but these two moves ended up being really terrible for their forward group. Hopefully Everberg gets to be a scoring threat by next season. That would help.

I was a little ticked that they let Stastny walk as well, but the truth is I don't know how much he wanted to stay. St. Louis is basically where he grew up, I think he wanted to play there, plus he was going to another strong team. It's not like he left to go play for the Sabres.

If he would have stayed on the same deal that St. Louis offered him, but Avs wouldn't match, I'd say that's a bad move by Sakic/Roy, considering guys like Clarkson and Phaneuf can get 5-7 years. 4 years for Stastny is a steal.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Roy feels he has to feed the bottom six offensive zone starts because they are so awful at hockey in every zone. There are at least three players down there that should be either Ahl players or scratched on a nightly basis. I'm pretty sure Talbot and Mitchell are the only guys who should be playing every night on an NHL squad. I'm 50-50 on if Everburg really belongs right now.

LaCarriere

It's not like the avs could've done any more to keep Stastny, and no PAP didn't play good with the avs last year. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I agree PAP wasn't anything special, but Briere has put up even less points. I know they probably brought in Briere for his leadership, but that's been a disappointing trade, and the worst part is they sent a 5th rounder along with PAP.

Oh well, they could use that 4M next year to try and make a run at a UFA defenseman. Staal? Boychuck? Frason? :sarcasm:

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
I was a little ticked that they let Stastny walk as well, but the truth is I don't know how much he wanted to stay. St. Louis is basically where he grew up, I think he wanted to play there, plus he was going to another strong team. It's not like he left to go play for the Sabres.

If he would have stayed on the same deal that St. Louis offered him, but Avs wouldn't match, I'd say that's a bad move by Sakic/Roy, considering guys like Clarkson and Phaneuf can get 5-7 years. 4 years for Stastny is a steal.

Yep. Avs fans will deny it but this is the true reason. Stastny was not just the glue on the ice he was the glue in the locker room. Mackinnon expressed how much he wanted Paul to stay and Duchene and EJ were great friends with him. Sad really. With Paul we still would have regressed but not this much..

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
I agree PAP wasn't anything special, but Briere has put up even less points. I know they probably brought in Briere for his leadership, but that's been a disappointing trade, and the worst part is they sent a 5th rounder along with PAP.

Oh well, they could use that 4M next year to try and make a run at a UFA defenseman. Staal? Boychuck? Frason? :sarcasm:

Acquiring Briere is right up there among the dumbest things this organization has done, but that list is growing...

Giving up a 2nd for Stuart, then extending him before he plays a shift.

Giving Iggy an extra year of free $$ just so he would sign in Denver.

Extending Mcleod.

Throwing huge $$ at Orpik during FA.

Investing a 2nd + a contract extension on Berra, only to cut the chord on him after a handful of games.

I'm sure I'm missing more, but that's off the top of my head.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

I didn't know that. I get the feeling he would have stayed though if offered the same deal but the Blues are pretty hard to turn down. I just feel he never really got the credit he deserved there because of a bad contract given to him but after the playoffs, there should have been no question that Colorado should have signed him.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The answer is the Avs poor possession numbers. Duchene and Mackinnon play too run and gun, and the lack of good D is what hurts their possession. I would trade Duchene for a top pairing D and Barrie+O'Rielly for a top 4 D and different 2C

LaCarriere

I didn't know that. I get the feeling he would have stayed though if offered the same deal but the Blues are pretty hard to turn down. I just feel he never really got the credit he deserved there because of a bad contract given to him but after the playoffs, there should have been no question that Colorado should have signed him.

That's where he played highschool hockey. He moved around a lot following his dads NHL and then scouting career after he retired. He played college hockey in Denver.

I think the Avs were offering the 6-6.5 million range, they weren't going any higher than their highest contract, and would have been less than what he was making on his old contract.

Classless AINEC*

Because Duchene is a bust, MacKinnon peaked last season, Landeskog is a 4th liner, O'Reilly is already mentally moved on to the KHL team he'll be playing for the season after next (once the ruble has bounced back), Stastny was actually the best playmaker in the NHL (only no one knew it because they didn't realize Landy and MacK sucked so hard), and because Patrick Roy wishes he was only as bad as Sacco. That's why we're leading the race for McEichel despite everything that could go right for this team, going right for us this year.

I think that covered everything, now just give up on the avs, find a new team, and take the rest of the entitled and irrational misers with you.

Holy smokes and jeepers creepers!!!!!!!! The post you just laid down was soooooooooo funny. You are my new hero. Nobody else could ever be funny that way. CSn maybe you PM me with "haha" pointers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad