Why can't Corey Conacher stick in the NHL?

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
Right now he's annihilating the AHL, but what is it about this guy that prevents him from being an NHL player? Hockey sense? Defensive play? Speed? With the game becoming more focused on skill, will there eventually be a fit for him? Would he have a spot on another team besides Tampa?

Will we see this player again at the NHL level or is he just done?

Edit: Cory*

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I for one thinks he's an NHL player. He was good in Ottawa in my opinion, though his AHL production hasn't transferred over.

I don't see why someone like Leipsic can play in the NHL, and Conacher can't. They have similar offensive styles, similar size, but Conacher is more physical and is a solid pest.

I would like one of my teams to give him a shot as a 12th/13th forward. Vegas just brought up freakin Reid Duke who is 7th in scoring on his AHL team.

I would probably attribute this to Cory's age I guess. At 28, you really dont get too much better if at all.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
My guess is that he is an above average AHLer that gets top line minutes while not being that reliable defensively.

Then an average bottom 6 NHL player who is a liability defensively.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Some guys are just tweeners. Their skill set makes them great AHL players, but aren't good enough to be effective NHLers.

When fractions of a second can make all the difference, it doesn't take much to put a player just under the bar.

Some people call them AAAA players. Darren Haydar comes to mind. AHL All Star, but in the NHL: 23 games 1 G and 7 A.

Nashville, Atlanta and Colorado all gave him a chance to play in the NHL.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
You could probably put him on the top 6 on a crappy team and he'd put up 40 points, but it would be while being a -18. He's just not an NHL player.

Reactions: Cellee

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Because the Lightning are currently stacked. On most other teams he’d be playing.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Nah. He's not an NHL level player. He's not going to hurt you being on the roster, but he's not really gonna do anything for you either.

Some dudes are just elite level AHL players but not good enough to replicate it in the NHL. He's that dude. He's destroying the AHL right now (27 pts in 15 games, 3 behind the league leader with 8 less games played) and that's where he needs to stay.

The Lightning managed to create the absolute perfect storm for Conacher when he was dealt to OTT.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
In regards to the Lightning being deep as the reason for him not playing, he went through waivers this year and nobody was interested. Any other team could have had him for free, but there were no takers.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
What do his advanced stats say?
Looks like an above average player in the limited sample. Don’t think he actually is one though, the sample is small and Gourde low key carries him. I do think he’d be an ok third liner somewhere

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
You could probably put him on the top 6 on a crappy team and he'd put up 40 points, but it would be while being a -18. He's just not an NHL player.

This. He’s the classic case of not good enough for the top 6, but too much of a liability for the bottom 6. Makes it tough to stick around unless you try and sign 1 year deals with whoever was the worst team in the league the year before

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Looks like an above average player in the limited sample. Don’t think he actually is one though, the sample is small and Gourde low key carries him. I do think he’d be an ok third liner somewhere

Lol. Conacher isn't near a 3rd liner in the NHL.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Tells you all you need to know about these stats.

Lots of players are simply good in the AHL and that's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad