Why can't Corey Conacher stick in the NHL?

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Should deal him if that is the case.

Get something for him

And what would we get for him that would outweigh the benefit of having a spare NHL-caliber player available in case of injuries? Not to mention a leader in Syracuse with NHL experience to teach the kids what it takes to make it to that level.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
His career might've been different if TB never traded him in 2013. He was playing high up in their lineup and doing really well, I remember people calling him the next Marty St. Louis. When they dealt him to Ottawa at the deadline the Sens used him as a 3rd/4th liner and probably killed any confidence he built up during his time in TB.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
And what would we get for him that would outweigh the benefit of having a spare NHL-caliber player available in case of injuries? Not to mention a leader in Syracuse with NHL experience to teach the kids what it takes to make it to that level.
This has already been responded to read the whole 1 page of discussion of a thread that has been open for 3 days.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Better than everyone at the NHL level, very few top 6ers he can beat for a roster spot. Miscast as a 3rd or 4th liner. Really needs an opportunity where he's the best option. Kind of like Marchessault in Vegas.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He wasn't very good on the top line when Tavares was centering him. He was given every opportunity to succeed and didnt run with it.
I'd hate to be that guy but Tavares is not McDavid. If Conacher can be had for cheap I hope the Oilers trade for him

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Tampa sold him at an absolute high to us muggy Sens and we gave away Ben Bishop :facepalm: (so we could keep Lehner, look how that turned out. Shades of Redden/Chara with that fml).

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His career might've been different if TB never traded him in 2013. He was playing high up in their lineup and doing really well, I remember people calling him the next Marty St. Louis. When they dealt him to Ottawa at the deadline the Sens used him as a 3rd/4th liner and probably killed any confidence he built up during his time in TB.

He had already fallen off by the time we traded him. That was the dirty little secret of that trade. He burst onto the scene, disappeared for 20 games, and then we traded him for Ben Bishop, which changed the franchise.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The NHL is very structured while the AHL is more of a "wild west" league.

Conacher just isn't NHL material, people who do well in the AHL don't necessarily belong in the NHL.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'd hate to be that guy but Tavares is not McDavid. If Conacher can be had for cheap I hope the Oilers trade for him
You will be disappointed. Although I believe he can hold a roster spot in the NHL I don't see him having the desired impact. Wasn't much of a factor in TB the second time around. Hasn't done much of anything in his career. It's a shame because he is a great kid with talent. The kind of player you truly root for to succeed. I would loved to see him perform in the KHL. He's starred everywhere he's played other than in the NHL.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Should deal him if that is the case.

Get something for him

Tampa is paying him an NHL salary to be in the minors, the guys a leader down there and helps develop the plethora of talent we had/have coming through the pipes. He has value to the club even without playing in the NHL which is why they extended him. Syracuse was in the dumps before we sent conacher down there and the kids were looking overwhelmed.

Reactions: Cellee

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Some guys are just tweeners. Their skill set makes them great AHL players, but aren't good enough to be effective NHLers.

When fractions of a second can make all the difference, it doesn't take much to put a player just under the bar.

Exactly. There are bunches of these "tweener" types. They can post big production in the AHL where there's a bit more time and space, and things are a bit less structured defensively, more breakdowns to take advantage of, weaker goaltending, etc. But just don't have the physical traits or the hockey sense to capitalize consistently in the NHL...and don't have the skillset to really thrive in a lesser role further down the lineup in the NHL. They excel when they can be an offensive focal point, big minutes, central to a good PP, and handling the puck constantly to get into the flow of the game. They struggle when asked to play a more limited role, bring energy and PK/defensive elements to the NHL level, and don't really have a chance to get a real feel for the puck consistently. And they just don't have the talent and ability to push better players out of those opportunities in a good NHL Top-6.

The big difference with Conacher, is that he's stuck around North America a lot longer than many of those top "tweener" types do. So many of them ultimately end up playing over in Europe where they can be prominent scoring players and make pretty decent money in a cozier situation. But Conacher seems content to stay in the AHL and play his handful of NHL games as an injury replacement every year. It's kinda admirable, his dedication to it really.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
waive him to the kings, leipsic and sherbak have looked great so far. our whole team will be waiver fodder

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Opportunity.

He's not any worse than a lot of bottom 6 NHL players. There's very little that differentiates an leader in the AHL and a bottom 6 role. The skill disparity is so minimal it's impossible to even pinpoint.

He has an NHL toolset unlike a Zykov for example who can't skate at an NHL level.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The game is faster and the lanes are wider than they've ever been in the history of the game. Sucks he's a member of one of the deepest organizations in the league cause I wouldn't be surprised if he could actually stick as a 2nd/3rd tweener on a mediocre team with the way today's game is played.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Systems and roles are really critical for some players. Of course some guys can fit in and thrive on any team. But for others they kind of need a bit of luck to end up in the right situation. I think of a guy like Marchessault. He is a top six scorer. He had a few stops where - I think - he wasn’t always in that role and he was considered expendable. He found the right role and was off like a rocket.

Reactions: biturbo19

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Tampa sold him at an absolute high to us muggy Sens and we gave away Ben Bishop :facepalm: (so we could keep Lehner, look how that turned out. Shades of Redden/Chara with that fml).

We had 3 goalies and we couldn’t keep them all.

We kept the oldest and the youngest guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad