Why are we 9th in our conference?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The leading goal scorer, #1 goalie, shutdown Center and #1 PK d-man are now out with significant injuries. The easiest part of the schedule is gone and they're sitting in 9th place. If you think the effort put forth in the last 18 games is good enough to get the team into the Playoffs with Scrivens and Jones in net, it might be time to take off the purple and yellow tinted glasses.

The sky isn't falling but if they continue to show up for 40 minutes a night they'll CONTINUE to be on the outside of the Top 8 come April.

Carter could be back this road trip, so even if he's not, he won't be out long. We are 2-1-1 in the games he has missed.

We have no clue how long Quick is out, so maybe try waiting until we know the details?

Shutdown centre? That is Stoll I assume? To me, the shutdown centre is Richards, and he's doing quite fine in that regard.

#1 PK D-man being Greene? In ice time, yes, but in the three games he's missed, LA has killed eight out of nine shorthanded situations, which is a success rate of 88.9 per cent. Only two teams in the league have a better success rate than that and that is 8.6 per cent above the season average for the Kings.

The easiest part of the schedule to you is gone, but the Kings sit with a .639 winning percentage. Last full season (2011-2012) that winning percentage would give a team 105 points and fifth overall in the league. We'd have won the division by nine points.

Btw, Scrivens did excellent in his stint as a starter in Toronto last year when Reimer went down. I suspect the Leafs fans were screaming the same doom and gloom as you when Reimer got hurt. Guess who made the playoffs?

If you honestly think a .639 winning percentage will not get a team into the playoffs come the end of the season I'd bet my house on it because it'd be the easiest bet I've ever won.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Actually they won't, the Kings right now are one of the few teams with an actual believable winning PCT%...

Four of the top eight teams have unsustainable winning PCT. ANH/Colorado/PHX are not going to continue to win at a 800% clip.

San Jose has already come back to earth, they needed OT to beat Calgary last night when they were up 2-0 in the second.

Only four points ahead of the Kings.

Also Justin Williams is the Kings leading Goal scorer, no King has scored more than J-Dub over the past three seasons.

Willie Mitchell logs more PK time than any other King, Richards I would consider the Kings shutdown Center.

If the Kings maintain this current sustainable winning PCT...They will be a 100 point team.

Although....They can't have games like they had in Buffalo too many times. Can't afford to lose points in the East games.

You can add Calgary (loss) and the Oilers too. We still got the win but it took a shootout to a team that has a GAA of 3.85 to eek out a 2-1 victory. I just want this team to beat the team they should, instead of screwing around like they've been doing.

3 points lost doesn't seem like much now, but that might be the difference in making the playoff and or a seeding position.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ha, I missed this gem. Anaheim Ducks fans visiting the Kings board are ROARING BACK!

None are coming to discuss, either, which I personally would have no problem with; they just pop in to gloat.

I'll definitely be sure to do the same when they hit the wall or get wiped in the first round again ;)

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
None are coming to discuss, either, which I personally would have no problem with; they just pop in to gloat.

I'll definitely be sure to do the same when they hit the wall or get wiped in the first round again ;)

But everyone hates our fanbase :shakehead

These internet politics get me so WORKED UP :sarcasm: ;)

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Actually they won't, the Kings right now are one of the few teams with an actual believable winning PCT%...

Four of the top eight teams have unsustainable winning PCT. ANH/Colorado/PHX are not going to continue to win at a 800% clip.

San Jose has already come back to earth, they needed OT to beat Calgary last night when they were up 2-0 in the second.

Only four points ahead of the Kings.

Also Justin Williams is the Kings leading Goal scorer, no King has scored more than J-Dub over the past three seasons.

Willie Mitchell logs more PK time than any other King, Richards I would consider the Kings shutdown Center.

If the Kings maintain this current sustainable winning PCT...They will be a 100 point team.

Although....They can't have games like they had in Buffalo too many times. Can't afford to lose points in the East games.
Dustin Brown has scored more goals then Williams...
Willie Mitchell logs most of the PK time (with Scuderi gone).
The Richards line doesn't get the toughest asignments - actually they are quite poor as far as keeping the puck out of our net...

Yes 100Pts pace is fine, but nothing special - 10 teams have had 100+ points in the regular season the year the Kings won the cup...
;)

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Dustin Brown has scored more goals then Williams...
Willie Mitchell logs most of the PK time (with Scuderi gone).
The Richards line doesn't get the toughest asignments - actually they are quite poor as far as keeping the puck out of our net...

Yes 100Pts pace is fine, but nothing special - 10 teams have had 100+ points in the regular season the year the Kings won the cup...
;)

You're right Brown 81 Justin Williams 74

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
;)

Well, we are actually on pace for 105 points and only four teams had more than that. Also, no team in our division at the time had 100 points, so we'd have cruised to a top three spot and home ice in the first round, as well as in the third round and the finals assuming Phoenix and New Jersey still made it that far.

So yeah, our pace is actually pretty special and probably important as well come the post-season.

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
I hate the ducks as much as anyone, but they are in 1st place and the kings are in 9th, why is that? The kings started the season with a bunch of role players. When you do that your best players need to carry the team offensivly, they didn't do that. Now they are trying to fix a problem this team shouldn't of had because Toffoli, Vey, and Pearson were ready to make this team right out of preaseason. I bet Lombardi wanted the young guys to make the team, but thought Sutter wouldn't put them all in the lineup at the same time. I love the kings, but i'm tired of seeing this team lose 2 to 1. They have a hard time scoring empty net goals too. I want to see them win the close games, they seem to play down to the level of the competition, instead of stompng lousy teams.

Last edited:

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I hate the ducks as much as anyone, but they are in 1st place and the kings are in 9th, why is that? The kings started the season with a bunch of role players. When you do that your best players need to carry the team offensivly, they didn't do that. Now they are trying to fix a problem this team shouldn't of had because Toffoli, Vey, and Pearson were ready to make this team right out of preaseason. I bet Lombardi wanted the young guys to make the team, but thought Sutter wouldn't put them all in the lineup at the same time. I love the kings, but i'm tired of seeing this team lose 2 to 1. They have a hard time scoring empty net goals too.

Why are we 9th? Because we didn't beat Buffalo, Edmonton & Calgary...

Peaks and valleys boys, peaks and valleys.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Kurrilino isn't worried = I'm not worried.

Maybe i should detail it a little bit more....

No, i am not worries we reach the playoff

Yes, i am worried we meet young creative and hungry teams
who ram something down our throat get a dentist coat
and tell us "you can spit now"

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
This team plays hard, they never stop trying even when their down a couple goals. With a solid foundation of defense they are always in striking distance of most of the games. With a mix of the veterans, and the new kids this team will climb the standings.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

In case you haven't noticed in the last couple of years, the Kings are the team that generally rams something down a team's throat.

Granted last season they needed Quick to be great, but that series against St. Louis was brutal, and the Kings won't be seeing a team like them until the WCF if they can get that far. I think the rest of the Pacific Division is very concerned about what the Kings would do to their team over a 7-game series. Even if the Kings lost, the team they faced would not be the same following the series.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Interesting that 38 playoff games over the last 2 years, 25 of which have been wins, and you're still that scared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad