Why are we 9th in our conference?

Captain Mittens*

Because the Eastern conference should be in the minor leagues

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Games at the beginning of the year tend to be sloppier and a little more free-wheeling. Younger teams or ones that rely on offense/speed tend to rack up the points. As the season progresses, the games get more physical and methodical, the intensity goes up, and those teams start to fade.

That, and the unbalance west/east is why the Kings are in 9th. All I really care about is home ice in the first round. If this team wins a series, they've showed a tendency to keep winning.

What's impressive to me is the Kings have played what, maybe 2 or 3 games where they brought the intensity, and still found a way to end up 11-6.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Hmm missed that, still they have played mostly teams from the East, Colorado has a tough schedule coming end of November...

I expect some losses.

Yeah me too. Aside from Boston, the Avs have yet to play any of the heavy teams from the west.Let's see how they fair after a week of playing LA, Stl, and SJ.

HolyShot*

Because the top three in each division get the top 6 in the conference. That leaves two teams in the conference to battle it out. ******** setup if u ask me. Bad for the game, good for parity.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Kings are in 9th because of blowing games against the Rangers/Calgary and letting teams like the Oilers hang around in a 2:1 game. At the time the Rangers and Oilers were giving up 4+ goals a game against. Also the kings were around 20th in the league in scoring in the start of the season. They've now climbed to 15th in goals per game. It's still early in the season and it looks like the Kings are on the right track as of late.

PS: Don't worry Kopi no one remembers that penalty you took at the end of the Calgary game. :)

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
There are going to be teams from the western conference that miss they playoffs that are better then all but 2-3 of the east teams that make the playoffs. It's really bizarre how badly unbalanced the conferences are.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
There are going to be teams from the western conference that miss they playoffs that are better then all but 2-3 of the east teams that make the playoffs. It's really bizarre how badly unbalanced the conferences are.

..and somewhat scary, you're going to have some good teams not make the playoffs - and so get good draft slots out of it. There's a chance for good teams, right on the edge, to become really good teams.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hilarious.

We have identical records to Pitt and Toronto. Pitt is leading their division, Toronto 2 points behind TB for first in theirs.

Eastern conference, stop sucking (after our road trip, of course)!

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
After Sutter selecting Trevor Lewis in the shoot-out, I'm not even going to ask why we're 9th anymore.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
After Sutter selecting Trevor Lewis in the shoot-out, I'm not even going to ask why we're 9th anymore.

I'm not even sure why you posted this thread in the first place. And our 9th place sitting has nothing to do with shootout selection. This was the first one we lost. :shakehead:shakehead

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Had to check still...

Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 8.27.17 PM.png

sinister6000

Apr 30, 2013
Anahiem has Bonnino, Palmieri, and Etem on their 4th line. They have 4 lines that can score goals.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
We seem to be good as or better than the teams in front of us. The Kings problem is they are not as good as the teams below us in the standings or total points in the league.
Flames, Sabres, Preds, just to name a few.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Anahiem has Bonnino, Palmieri, and Etem on their 4th line. They have 4 lines that can score goals.

A) Nick Bonino plays 15:46 per game, that is third on the entire Ducks teams in terms of forwards behind only Getzlaf and Perry. Both of the other two average over 11:00 minutes a game.

B) All of those guys get powerplay time, with Etem averaging 41 seconds a game, Palmieri averaging 1:27 a game and Bonino averaging 2:37 a game.

It's a lot easier to score when you're getting a lot of ice time and powerplay time in relation to other fourth lines. The Ducks spread their ice time out more, not one forward on that team is averaging 20 minutes a game and only two are getting more than 16 minutes a game.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Games won in November are worth 2 points. Games won in April are worth 2 points.

A winning percentage of .639 in November means we need to jump off a cliff. A winning percentage of .639 in April means we have home ice advantage.

The point of his calendar pic is valid. Everyone just chill out, the Kings are doing just fine.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
A winning percentage of .639 in November means we need to jump off a cliff. A winning percentage of .639 in April means we have home ice advantage.

The point of his calendar pic is valid. Everyone just chill out, the Kings are doing just fine.

The leading goal scorer, #1 goalie, shutdown Center and #1 PK d-man are now out with significant injuries. The easiest part of the schedule is gone and they're sitting in 9th place. If you think the effort put forth in the last 18 games is good enough to get the team into the Playoffs with Scrivens and Jones in net, it might be time to take off the purple and yellow tinted glasses.

The sky isn't falling but if they continue to show up for 40 minutes a night they'll CONTINUE to be on the outside of the Top 8 come April.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The leading goal scorer, #1 goalie, shutdown Center and #1 PK d-man are now out with significant injuries. The easiest part of the schedule is gone and they're sitting in 9th place. If you think the effort put forth in the last 18 games is good enough to get the team into the Playoffs with Scrivens and Jones in net, it might be time to take off the purple and yellow tinted glasses.

The sky isn't falling but if they continue to show up for 40 minutes a night they'll CONTINUE to be on the outside of the Top 8 come April.

Actually they won't, the Kings right now are one of the few teams with an actual believable winning PCT%...

Four of the top eight teams have unsustainable winning PCT. ANH/Colorado/PHX are not going to continue to win at a 800% clip.

San Jose has already come back to earth, they needed OT to beat Calgary last night when they were up 2-0 in the second.

Only four points ahead of the Kings.

Also Justin Williams is the Kings leading Goal scorer, no King has scored more than J-Dub over the past three seasons.

Willie Mitchell logs more PK time than any other King, Richards I would consider the Kings shutdown Center.

If the Kings maintain this current sustainable winning PCT...They will be a 100 point team.

Although....They can't have games like they had in Buffalo too many times. Can't afford to lose points in the East games.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->