Player Discussion Whose your 5th OA pick?

Whose your 5th Overall pick?

• Zach Benson

Votes: 26 6.9%
  • Will Smith

Votes: 92 24.4%
  • David Reinbacher

Votes: 18 4.8%
  • Olivier Moore

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Matvei Mitchkov

Votes: 228 60.5%
  • Ryan Leonard

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Voted Benson but i have read here that Bobrov father work for the SKA mmm, if hes there at 5 and they think they can get him here i hope hes our choice but they must be certain because if not, ouchhhhh tabar

La boule rose doit être dur en sacre à penser d'avoir Matvei comme ailier

Pour les amateurs de super smash bro ces le cas de le dire Kirby va en aspirer et en chi** des chances de fabriquer des jeux

Just give me Bedard Fantilli or Mich and our offense would be stackeddddddd my friends

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I am

Habs are probably picking 6th and Benson is BPA for this pick, if Michkov’s taken.

Some would be higher on him if he was 5’11 instead of 5’9 and had better skating.

Correct.

Benson could be a absolute amazing NHL player, his motor and skill is tremendous.

But, I think a lot of us have PTSD from having smaller skilled forwards.. (whether that is right or wrong, and it's no slight on Benson, he is a fantastic talent)

Reactions: SlafySZN

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Correct.

Benson could be a absolute amazing NHL player, his motor and skill is tremendous.

But, I think a lot of us have PTSD from having smaller skilled forwards.. (whether that is right or wrong, and it's on slight on Benson, he is a fantastic talent)
Picking 6th could be a pretty tough decision. I think Benson is the right option, i get why some would be hesitant but he’s the most skilled/high IQ player you could get at 6. I also like Oliver Moore, he has elite skating and decent size compared to Benson but he is not as offensively talented and as smart as Benson.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Skeptical until proven otherwise.
Why? No reason for this. We crushed it last year even if Slaf isn’t the right guy. Neutral? Sure. Skeptical? Doesn’t make sense to me at this stage.
It’s not hard to lose. It’s much harder to win. These guys haven’t gotten close to putting together a winning team yet,
It’s been ONE year!!!
and while it’s early enough I don’t think we (as a fanbase) ought to give them the benefit of the doubt like we (as a fanbase) did for Bergevin.
Okay. But Bergevin f***ed up from day one. Therrien, turning down Jagr, Bouilon, problems with Subban etc… if you wanted to criticize fans giving him the benefit of the doubt you have a strong case. But that’s not the case here.

From day one this team has done a pretty good job. MSL, Dach, clearing cap space, trading vets, stockpiling picks. What’s not to like?
I think they outsmarted themselves with Slafkovksy’s development (much more than the pick itself which could at least be justified) and I don’t think for a moment they won’t do the same with their pick this year. Just the vibe I get. Mešar I’ve been optimistic or neutral about all year and they outsmarted themselves with him too — sticking him in the OHL when he could’ve just done another year where he was. I don’t understand how difficult it has to be: promote players after they outgrow their current league, and no earlier than that.
Right… Slaf again. You’re like a dog with a bone here. Again, even if he’s the wrong pick, even if he’s developed wrong - overall I don’t see how you can be unhappy here. We’ve picked the right direction and are following through. They won’t be perfect but I’m far more optimistic than I’ve been in a long time that we’re on the right track.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Correct.

But, I think a lot of us have PTSD from having smaller skilled forwards.. (whether that is right or wrong, and it's no slight on Benson, he is a fantastic talent)

With Slaf, Dach, and Dubois, we should have enough size in the top 6. We can have Cole on one line and Benson on the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Why? No reason for this. We crushed it last year even if Slaf isn’t the right guy. Neutral? Sure. Skeptical? Doesn’t make sense to me at this stage.

It’s been ONE year!!!

Okay. But Bergevin f***ed up from day one. Therrien, turning down Jagr, Bouilon, problems with Subban etc… if you wanted to criticize fans giving him the benefit of the doubt you have a strong case. But that’s not the case here.

From day one this team has done a pretty good job. MSL, Dach, clearing cap space, trading vets, stockpiling picks. What’s not to like?

Right… Slaf again. You’re like a dog with a bone here. Again, even if he’s the wrong pick, even if he’s developed wrong - overall I don’t see how you can be unhappy here. We’ve picked the right direction and are following through. They won’t be perfect but I’m far more optimistic than I’ve been in a long time that we’re on the right track.
Not sure what you’re arguing with me here — you’re an optimist and like the organization and I’m a pessimist (realist, imo) and think they need to prove they’re competent.

I like watching playoff hockey, there is nothing like it — I don’t like tanking. So far it’s been a bit under two seasons straight of tanking. You can’t demand that I, personally, have to like this experience because I don’t and never will.

As for the draft, so far not one of these draftees has done a worthwhile thing in the NHL. You choose to be optimistic and I choose to wait. Not good, not bad, just wait.

That means the overall portfolio I have ahead of me involves: selling off players one trade deadline, not selling off players another trade deadline, selling valuable cap space for a distant first round pick, catastrophic injury management, and two very good moves Matheson for Petry+Poehling and Dach for Romanov.

I didn’t like the Allen extension and raise.

We haven’t see Caufield’s contract extension. We haven’t seen the special teams coaches change.

We haven’t seen the Habs have a single (1) impact player.

The best thing the Habs did was hire MSL but his contract is halfway up and we haven’t sniffed relevancy. Maybe they hired him too early.

I’m not criticizing the pace of the rebuild here… it’s just I don’t agree with blind optimism. Not enough has happened for you to demand I be optimistic. And what HAS happened has been a mixed bag. As for the Slafkovsky situation, simply put it is scandalous. I’ve never seen something like it and this knee injury they’ve been mysterious about is a MAJOR injury that everybody seems to demand we shrug off. 0/10 not one good thing about it.

So neutral or skeptical, to me they’re the same thing. Even if they’ve done a good job they’ve only done part of half the job. Cheers.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not sure what you’re arguing with me here — you’re an optimist and like the organization and I’m a pessimist (realist, imo) and think they need to prove they’re competent.
And I asked you about the actual moves. All you came back with is more FUD on Slaf.
I like watching playoff hockey, there is nothing like it — I don’t like tanking. So far it’s been a bit under two seasons straight of tanking. You can’t demand that I, personally, have to like this experience because I don’t and never will.
What would you have preferred? We kept the vets and tried to win? Give us the alternative position then.

This team - for the first time ever - has fully picked a rebuilding direction. We avoided it for 30 years. The only reason we were able to contend previously was due to a one time lottery where we won our first top five pick in 25 years.

Not a guarantee of course. We were unlucky and drafted 1st in a very weak draft. But we have anothe high pick this year and more prospects coming. We’re doing things the right way.
As for the draft, so far not one of these draftees has done a worthwhile thing in the NHL. You choose to be optimistic and I choose to wait. Not good, not bad, just wait.
Except you haven’t waited. Before he even played a game you bitched to everyone that Slaf was garbage. Is Hudson garbage too? Where would you take him in a redraft?
That means the overall portfolio I have ahead of me involves: selling off players one trade deadline, not selling off players another trade deadline, selling valuable cap space for a distant first round pick, catastrophic injury management, and two very good moves Matheson for Petry+Poehling and Dach for Romanov.
As opposed to… what? Keeping a guy like Tofoli and perpetually trying to sneak into 8th place? You’d rather that? A viscous cycle where we will never be able to compete for a cup? We did that already for decades.
I didn’t like the Allen extension and raise.
Big deal… someone has to play in nets while the club rebuilds. We’ve got cap space anyway.
We haven’t see Caufield’s contract extension. We haven’t seen the special teams coaches change.
If the Caufield contract gets f***ed up, by all means rip them for it. I’ll join you. But we’re not there yet.

Our special teams? Have you seen our roster?
We haven’t seen the Habs have a single (1) impact player.
How about Caufield? He was drowning under the previous regime as so many others have. Kirby Dach is another solid player. And we got some great young prospects. And this is only year one. Ghule developed well this year. And a guy like Barron hasn’t established himself yet.

Not every move will work out. We know this. But the overall direction is the right one.
The best thing the Habs did was hire MSL but his contract is halfway up and we haven’t sniffed relevancy. Maybe they hired him too early.
Tell that to Caufield.
I’m not criticizing the pace of the rebuild here… it’s just I don’t agree with blind optimism. Not enough has happened for you to demand I be optimistic. And what HAS happened has been a mixed bag. As for the Slafkovsky situation, simply put it is scandalous. I’ve never seen something like it and this knee injury they’ve been mysterious about is a MAJOR injury that everybody seems to demand we shrug off. 0/10 not one good thing about it.
I’m not demanding optimism. I’m asking you to justify your ‘sky is falling’ schtick. It’s been one year and the way the club has been managed is night and day.

There’s no reason to sit there and say “I’m sure we’ll f*** everything up again…” I mean get real man.
So neutral or skeptical, to me they’re the same thing. Even if they’ve done a good job they’ve only done part of half the job. Cheers.
It’s not close to the same thing.

The old regime couldn’t pick a direction. It was awful. Even worse, they didn’t believe in skill.

I’m not saying we’re on the road to a cup - we’re so far away from that now. But to sit there and pretend that the mgmt of today is the same as yesterday is total BS.

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Picking 6th could be a pretty tough decision. I think Benson is the right option, i get why some would be hesitant but he’s the most skilled/high IQ player you could get at 6. I also like Oliver Moore, he has elite skating and decent size compared to Benson but he is not as offensively talented and as smart as Benson.
Skill never goes out of style, if you need to get bigger or what ever skill can always be leveraged in a trade.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Thoughts on throwing the 17th and 6th into a trade to move up? Would you do it if you could get to third?

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
If Michkov is available at 5 then I would take him.

I would be very happy with Smith at #5 and Wood from Uconn at #17.

I haven't been that impressed with PLD during the playoffs, are we even sure we want to commit $8 million a year for him.

With our center depth, I am not even sure he fits into our plans especially if we land a guy like Fantilli in this years draft.

Fantilli
Suzuki
Dach
Beck

One can dream

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Thoughts on throwing the 17th and 6th into a trade to move up? Would you do it if you could get to third?
Not sure .... so much depth in the draft this year you may still get two high end players picking from that spot.

I would offer 5, 17, and next year 1st round pick and Calgary's1st pick in 2025 for #1 this year.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Not sure .... so much depth in the draft this year you may still get two high end players picking from that spot.

I would offer 5, 17, and next year 1st round pick and Calgary's1st pick in 2025 for #1 this year.
You wouldn’t get it. Bedard is untradedable for whoever gets him.

Reactions: rickthegoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad