Player Discussion Whose your 5th OA pick?

Whose your 5th Overall pick?

• Zach Benson

Votes: 26 6.9%
  • Will Smith

Votes: 92 24.4%
  • David Reinbacher

Votes: 18 4.8%
  • Olivier Moore

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Matvei Mitchkov

Votes: 228 60.5%
  • Ryan Leonard

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The year end press heavily implied playoffs was the goal next year.

Molson himself said they were in a rebuild and he's never used that term before, acknowledging that himself.

They were just reframing the picture for the team. But they are still rebuilding and talked about using cap space to acquire more picks.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The year end press heavily implied playoffs was the goal next year.

Could be wrong but I don't think he said " the goal " was playoffs, just that they they were a possibility. Doesn't mean we aren't still rebuilding.

Next year if we have fewer games lost to injury, more experienced young players, a PLD perhaps , more players coming up. That can all add up to us nibbling at a play off spot. But it doesn't mean we aren't still rebuilding, just that we are progressing within the rebuild.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Smith! I don't want to burn a pick on a guy who may not come over and play hockey here in 3 more years.

Reactions: windycity

RabbleMasterBlaster

J't'un gars d'chez nous
Jun 29, 2020
Singapore
Could be wrong but I don't think he said " the goal " was playoffs, just that they they were a possibility. Doesn't mean we aren't still rebuilding.

Next year if we have fewer games lost to injury, more experienced young players, a PLD perhaps , more players coming up. That can all add up to us nibbling at a play off spot. But it doesn't mean we aren't still rebuilding, just that we are progressing within the rebuild.
True but look at it this way:

If Habs nab PLD and we can manage to have half as less player injuries, it'll be pretty hard imo to stay in the bottom. My guess is that's more or less how they also see it. I mean the number of injuries (especially season ending ones) this team suffers is pretty mind boggling.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
One of Smith, Dvorsky or Reinbacher.

Depending on who falls and who is available.

Although improbable, i don't think its impossible that Fantilli or Carlsson drops to 5.

Don't think its out of the question Michkov goes top 4. Reinbacher or Smith or anyone really might go earlier than we think. All we need is a team going off the board .

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
One of Smith, Dvorsky or Reinbacher.

Depending on who falls and who is available.

Although improbable, i don't think its impossible that Fantilli or Carlsson drops to 5.

Don't think its out of the question Michkov goes top 4. Reinbacher or Smith or anyone really might go earlier than we think. All we need is a team going off the board .
Fantilli is not dropping to 5. No chance.

Reactions: windycity and Deebs

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Fantilli is not dropping to 5. No chance.
1. Bedard
2. Carlsson
3. Michkov
4. Will Smith

You think a scenario like this is impossible? There are some knocks on Fantilli. Again, i think its improbable. But i don't think its impossible.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
1. Bedard
2. Carlsson
3. Michkov
4. Will Smith

You think a scenario like this is impossible? There are some knocks on Fantilli. Again, i think its improbable. But i don't think its impossible.
I can't see it happening unless there some personal issue that comes up during interviews. You never know but I'd say the chances of him falling to 5 is less than 5%

Reactions: malcb33

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I can't see it happening unless there some personal issue that comes up during interviews. You never know but I'd say the chances of him falling to 5 is less than 5%
1682531541129.png

Reactions: windycity

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I don't see any possibility that a team takes Michkov over Carlsson or Fantili
Well then

1. bedard
2. carlsson
3. Will smith
4. David reinbacher

Again, although improbable, is it impossible ? I don't think it is. Fantilli is the oldest player of the draft and some people question his hockey iq.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
If you have a shot at Michkov - it’s a no brainer. You have to draft him.
On one hand you have a scenario that is a no brainer on the other hand you have the Montreal Canadiens organization who, no matter the leadership or management group, have to be the most clever guys in the room. How do you think it'll play out?

• Haha
Reactions: malcb33

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
On one hand you have a scenario that is a no brainer on the other hand you have the Montreal Canadiens organization who, no matter the leadership or management group, have to be the most clever guys in the room. How do you think it'll play out?
I don’t see reason for skepticism right now. They’ve done a mostly good job of development and drafting so far. And it’s only been one draft.

You didn’t like the Slaf pick? Okay. How about Beck? How about Hudson? It’s looking like a good draft for us. Did you like the trade for Dach?

Why the dark cloud here?

Last edited:

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
I don’t see reason for skepticism right now. They’ve done a mostly good job of development and drafting so far. And it’s only been one draft.

You didn’t like the Slaf pick? Okay. How about Beck? How about Hudson? It’s looking like a good draft for us. Did you you the trade for Dach?

Why the dark cloud here?
Skeptical until proven otherwise. It’s not hard to lose. It’s much harder to win. These guys haven’t gotten close to putting together a winning team yet, and while it’s early enough I don’t think we (as a fanbase) ought to give them the benefit of the doubt like we (as a fanbase) did for Bergevin.

I think they outsmarted themselves with Slafkovksy’s development (much more than the pick itself which could at least be justified) and I don’t think for a moment they won’t do the same with their pick this year. Just the vibe I get. Mešar I’ve been optimistic or neutral about all year and they outsmarted themselves with him too — sticking him in the OHL when he could’ve just done another year where he was. I don’t understand how difficult it has to be: promote players after they outgrow their current league, and no earlier than that.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

You didn’t like the Slaf pick? Okay. How about Beck? How about Hudson? It’s looking like a good draft for us. Did you you the trade for Dach?

Why the dark cloud here?

The Bergevin mystique hasn't come off around here.

It might take a few years for it to happen. You don't get over a toxic relationship of 10 years too quickly, unless you have experience of course.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I'm not a fan of taking Rienbacher in the top 10. I like his game but to me, it's a bit of a reach. I think 10-15 range is where he falls.

If this happens, I would really hope management puts considerable assets on the table and try to snag Rienbacher. Florida pic + pics/ assets to move up and grab him would be fantastic.

Imagine walking potentially walking away with Michkov and Reinbacher...

Reactions: Habs Halifax

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I voted Smith and liked him for a while now. What are the chances someone takes Smith over Carlsson? I like them both but I do wonder about the differences in value between Smith and Carlsson. Heck, some have Carlsson neck and neck with Fantilli right?

Imagine if the draft goes like this
Bedard
Fantilli
Smith
Carlsson
Not sure where Michkov goes.

I think there is a fair chance we have a shot at Michkov.. if we don't win a lottery. I'm not a fan of taking Rienbacher in the top 10. I like his game but to me, it's a bit of a reach. I think 10-15 range is where he falls.

Gorton likes to move up when his scouts tell him there's a guy worth moving up for...

First we need to secure the 17th pick. Then we await eagerly to see what HuGo do with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad