Player Discussion Whose your 5th OA pick?

Whose your 5th Overall pick?

• Zach Benson

Votes: 26 6.9%
  • Will Smith

Votes: 92 24.4%
  • David Reinbacher

Votes: 18 4.8%
  • Olivier Moore

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Matvei Mitchkov

Votes: 228 60.5%
  • Ryan Leonard

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 1.3%

• Total voters

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I found Darren Dregger burner account
To be fair, I guess I exaggerated with the ‘no brainer’ comment. I have to walk that back a little. The talent’s there. It’s a matter of political manoeuvring. But I think it’s worth the risk. If he’s as good as they say, you’ve got to gamble to get elite talent.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
To be fair, I guess exaggerated with the ‘no brainer’ comment. I have to walk that back a little. The talent’s there. It’s a matter of political manoeuvring. But I think it’s worth the risk. If he’s as good as they say, you’ve got to gamble to get elite talent.
The problem isnt that it's that in the scenario as described two of Smith, Reinbacher, or Bensen will also be available. Is Michkovs talent so superior that your willing to also let two of those three likely play in the league for 1-2 years before you even see michkov and that you feel fully confident you could get him to Canada (or the US) as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The problem isnt that it's that in the scenario as described two of Smith, Reinbacher, or Bensen will also be available. Is Michkovs talent so superior that your willing to also let two of those three likely play in the league for 1-2 years before you even see michkov and that you feel fully confident you could get him to Canada (or the US) as well.
The way I’d equate it based on how the scouts have been talking is that Michkov is to Patel Bure as Bedard is to Lindros. Maybe not generational- but a franchise talent.

Yeah, I’d wait the two years for that.

Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
By all accounts, the answer to your question is yes — he is a significantly better prospect than the other names. After the big3.

Even the big3 would be the big2, just Bedard and Michkov, if it weren’t for external circumstances.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The way I’d equate it based on how the scouts have been talking is that Michkov is to Patel Bure as Bedard is to Lindros. Maybe not generational- but a franchise talent.

Yeah, I’d wait the two years for that.

I've never heard the Bure comparison, that would be a game changer .... a rare player

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I've never heard the Bure comparison, that would be a game changer .... a rare player
It’s been said that without the Russian complications that Mitchkov would be the clear number two and isn’t far off Bedard. Franchise player talent. Think more Patrick Kane than Bure. I just used that comparison because that was the debate in the early 90s about which prospect would be better: Lindros or Bure. I didn’t mean to compare them as players- Bedard is nothing like Lindros for example.

There are quite a few articles out there on him. Here’s one: Matvei Michkov - 2023 NHL Draft Prospect Profile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad