Whose Jersey Will Be Hung From Our Rafter?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
While I voted for Kopitar, Quick and Doughty (yeah no Brown but likely he will as well) I think it's a bit odd to be discussing retiring jerseys for guys who are by and large only half way through their careers, if that.

And Muzzin, Pearson, Stoll, Jones, Martinez and Toffoli? Was their a quota on slots to fill?

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
only brown can go blake on us, being a captain changes things some and it must have been incredibly frustrating for a captain to take off the C over negotiations or lack of, remember its our passion and his livelyhood

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think the first four are almost locks, mainly because they were drafted and developed and were the best players on the cup teams. When you think these championship teams I think the first four that come to mind are Kopitar, Quick, Brown and Doughty, and they are pretty well above everyone else other than Carter, who could have an outside chance if he played amazing through the life of his contract with the Kings.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Ok, since many of us agree that DD, Kopi, Brownie and JQ are most likely to get their numbers hung, from the 4, which would you choose, if you could only choose one?

I would choose Brownie. Not only is he the first kings captain to hoist the cup, but he's the ONLY american captain to hoist it twice. He also holds the longest tenure with this team. Add to that, he's a pretty darn good hockey player.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Choose one?

That is tough because you could legitimately make a case for any of the four when it comes to most deserving. I would have to go with Kopitar when you factor in longevity and performance on the ice.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Coin flip for me between Kopitar and Brown. Brown is the longest tenured and the captain but Kopitar is simply the better player.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
One of my favorite moments from the celebration after AMart's goal was when Kopitar, Brown and Quick all hugged each other off to the side of the main pile, those were the guys who had been with the organization longer than anyone else, all drafted by the Kings (thanks for the going away present Dave).

Was almost like something out of a movie.

Starts at 1:37

Captain Mittens*

Have Kopitar AND Simmer retired in one fell swoop... Kopi for the new school...and of course to have the Triple Crown Line reunited in the old school colors...

Or Kopi could pull a Ray Bourque and start wearing #111 if they retire Simmer's jersey

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Simmer won't have his jersey retired. He had a great relatively brief career for the Kings, but he hasn't really been all that involved in the organization since the break up of the line. Part of the jersey retirement is how involved you remain with the franchise. That's why franchises retire their own numbers. It's not just great overall NHL players, but franchise great players.

He'll still be a Kings Legend though. ;)

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
Locks: Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Quick

they are the core this group and run are built around. they have been there from the start and in most cases were early building blocks in the process. DD being the one outside this.

Maybe: Carter, Williams

perhaps for both of them based on futures. JW perhaps because of 2014 and the C Smythe run. Carter because he still has quite a few years to make a C Smythe run and then some.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I should add, from our recent SC roster. I count as many as 10.

Poll cometh.

No Doubt

Kopitar
Doughty
Brown
Quick

Probably

Carter

Possibly

Williams
Richards

Bit Too Early

Toffoli
Pearson
Muzzin

*** Edit*** the poll should read "Will Be" not "Should Be"

God forbid if Kopitar goes to UFA and leaves town then I would argue he never speant enough of his career here.
Brown is a no doubter. Being not only the first but als othe seocnd capotain to lift a cup in franchise history means he will get retired. He is not my favorite kings but his number 23 will go up.
Doughty and Quick are on there way to careers tha twould have their numbers raised. however who knows what will happen with them going forward.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Blake!

WOO!

tumblr_m6iwwc14gs1rt8dxlo1_500.gif

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Can't disagree with the 4. The captain, #1C, #D, and #1G, all drafted by the Kings, have already won multiple Cups, and might win again before they retire and/or leave for some reason. They're the guys in the golden age of Kings hockey.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
You can't hang everyone's jersey from this current team, whether its arguable or not.

I personally believe Kopitar and Doughty will both make it to the Hall of Fame one day, so 11 and 8 are shoe-ins. The Kings org will likely retire Brown's 23 and Quick's 32, as well, simply due to the "captain" factor and Quick holding pretty much all the Kings goaltending records when its all said and done.

I'm okay with those four having their jerseys retired by the team one day. They were all drafted and developed by the Kings and are the team's heart and soul.

Carter you will likely be able to make a very good case for. I dunno. If he puts up another couple 40 goal seasons and continues to be one of our bests players and distinguished himself with a Conn Smythe or something like that, you probably have to raise 77. But that's a long shot, IMO.

Everyone else, no chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad