Speculation: Who's Your 2C Target?

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Who I hope ends up 2C: Duchene or Galchenyuk
Who I think could actually end up 2C: Bonino or Hanzal
My pessimistic side is saying come opening day the 2C is Colton Sissons.

And I personally stay away from Thornton unless the deal is really really good.

Galchenyuk is a winger imo.
Bonino isn't worth the contract he will likely get.
Hanzel doesn't fit our system well enough and isn't very good at face-offs.

If we can't land Duchene I would prefer them go after a winger and give Sissons the shot at 2C over spending to much on one of these other guys.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017

If we can't land Duchene I would prefer them go after a winger and give Sissons the shot at 2C over spending to much on one of these other guys.

Rarely is a UFA ever worth the contract they get, but they also don't cost any assets to acquire. And Martin Hanzal is very good at faceoffs, he's right around 56% over the last four years combined.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Rarely is a UFA ever worth the contract they get, but they also don't cost any assets to acquire. And Martin Hanzal is very good at faceoffs, he's right around 56% over the last four years combined.

He is also a slower player and that doesn't really fit out scheme. If there was one out of the group other than Duchene I wouldn't be upset about getting it would be him. Thing is I'm not sure he is that great of an upgrade for what he would cost us (cap/term wise).

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND

Don't know where you're getting that. Hanzal has been above 55% on face-offs each of the last 3 years and was over 54% the year before that. Of those three, he would be my first choice if we're looking for a center; Galchenyuk at center has had very mixed results, but if we wanted to trade for him and move him to wing, I'd be down with that. Bonino should be a last resort.

I know the offensive numbers aren't there, but Hanzal has been asked to play a defense-heavy role most of his career. When his zone starts have been even, he has been a much more productive player, right around 0.65 PPG, which is all we would ask of him anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad