Speculation: Who's Your 2C Target?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Per Dreger

Matt Duchene's agent, Pat Brisson had a quick chat with Joe Sakic at the end of 1st round and is now in discussion with David Poile...

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I'd give up Fabbro (will be a good top 4 D but we are quite deep there with our prospects), Kamenev (kind of in limbo, not assured of a place in Nashville but will be a nice NHLer), this year's 1st (virtually a 2nd), and perhaps an additional pick next year (but not another 1st).

I can see this getting done today. Same division or not, this kind of deal would be mutually beneficial. Although Colorado might want Aberg, in which case I'd take out Kamenev and the additional pick.

Colorado wants LHS.

TheJungleHunter

Jun 6, 2017
Nashville, TN
Since it seems Sakic is ruining the Duchene situation, do y'all think we look to Edmonton and a guy like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?

I imagine with the Oilers having to resign Draisaitl and McDavid to huge contracts in the next two offseasons that hopefully means they are more amenable to making a deal over RNH.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Since it seems Sakic is ruining the Duchene situation, do y'all think we look to Edmonton and a guy like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins?

I imagine with the Oilers having to resign Draisaitl and McDavid to huge contracts in the next two offseasons that hopefully means they are more amenable to making a deal over RNH.

I'm not a big fan of Hopkins. If he wasn't a former number one overall, I doubt too many would be. He's better than what we have, but far from ideal. Just like Jarnkrok, I think he'd be a playoff ghost as well.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Marleau or Duchene. Put either of them between Fiala and Aberg. Talk about speed.

These.

I think my love for Marleau is well documented. At least he wouldn't score on us every game (unless it's just ingrained habit and own team scored every game).

Maybe RNH too, not sure.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Duchene, RNH, and Galchenyuk are all economically about the same level. Some have benefits, some faults but if one is cheaper than the other. hit it.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
RHD prospects/almost ready?

Obviously not touching Subban/Josi/Ekholm/Ellis.

JVR 28 years old, one year left on the contract, 4.25 million, 29G, 33A

Bozak 31 years old one year left on the contract, 4.2 million, 18G. 37A

The problem is JVR is a LW and Nashville has those. FF9 + Fiala.

Can the Preds eat those contracts? Oh yeah, hell, Nashville is in a better cap position than Toronto. Arvidsson + Johansen should be a combined 12 million of 24.

If Fabbro were to be talked out of college you would have your player. Dougherty might be a better 'ready to go' fit. Want Colin Wilson? If not, would Toronto eat some of their contracts?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
JVR 28 years old, one year left on the contract, 4.25 million, 29G, 33A

Bozak 31 years old one year left on the contract, 4.2 million, 18G. 37A

The problem is JVR is a LW and Nashville has those. FF9 + Fiala.

Can the Preds eat those contracts? Oh yeah, hell, Nashville is in a better cap position than Toronto. Arvidsson + Johansen should be a combined 12 million of 24.

If Fabbro were to be talked out of college you would have your player. Dougherty might be a better 'ready to go' fit. Want Colin Wilson? If not, would Toronto eat some of their contracts?

I wouldn't doubt that the Leafs would eat up to 50% on either if it increased what was coming back.

Fabbro is definitely a player I'd be interested in. Would be fine with leaving him in college for next year as well.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I wouldn't doubt that the Leafs would eat up to 50% on either if it increased what was coming back.

Fabbro is definitely a player I'd be interested in. Would be fine with leaving him in college for next year as well.

JVR + Bozak + RHD prospect for Fabbro and Wilson.

Depth chart becomes

JOFA
JVR-Bozak-Smith
Fiala-Hook-?

Tollerable?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
JVR + Bozak + RHD prospect for Fabbro and Wilson.

Depth chart becomes

JOFA
JVR-Bozak-Smith
Fiala-Hook-?

Tollerable?

I'm not sure this would work. Here's what Leafs would be looking to get for these two.

Bozak: Two 2nd rounds picks
JVR: Late 1st and D prospect

Willing to retain 50% on either to make it work. Will take salary back if the + is worth it.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
I'd strongly consider Galchenyuk for the #2C. He can definitely be had from Montreal. He's a RFA that made $2.8 million last year, so the qualifying offer would be reasonable.

Like Duchene, he's a bit more of a goal scorer than playmaker.

The fact he's fallen out of favor in Montreal doesn't concern me overmuch. Think Laviolette would do wonders for him. Would like to see his FO abilities to be much better than they are, but c'est la vie.

With a Fiala or Aberg on his wing, Thorton's playmaking abilities could make those kids into extremely dangerous players- but he would cost a fair amount and would require more term that I would like at his age.

Don't like the fit with Hanzal. Bonino has been talked up a bit, but his best season was four years ago. Not sure if he's much of an upgrade over Jarnkrok (who has the best odds to start the season as the #2C).

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not sure Hanzal or Bonino are really worth the money, especially if we need a winger as well.

I think if you are going for wishlist is probably Duchene, Nugent-Hopkins, Galchenyuk and then Thorton. Bad part is I'm not sure you can get any of them.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
I'm not sure Hanzal or Bonino are really worth the money, especially if we need a winger as well.

I think if you are going for wishlist is probably Duchene, Nugent-Hopkins, Galchenyuk and then Thorton. Bad part is I'm not sure you can get any of them.

I feel that Thorton could certainly sign in Nashville if the deal is right for him. I doubt the deal would be right for Nashville.

And Galchenyuk could definitely be had.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Are we talking Joe Thornton? As in just got my ruined knee fixed in April Joe Thornton? First, do the Sharks not want him back? Hard to see him not signing with them of they make him any kind of offer. And if they don't want him, how can possibly expect term from anyone?

If we knew he'd be ready by october, and he'd take a 1 year deal, I'd be happy to have Jumbo Joe

monix11

Jun 21, 2017
I'd strongly consider Galchenyuk for the #2C. He can definitely be had from Montreal. He's a RFA that made $2.8 million last year, so the qualifying offer would be reasonable.

Like Duchene, he's a bit more of a goal scorer than playmaker.

The fact he's fallen out of favor in Montreal doesn't concern me overmuch. Think Laviolette would do wonders for him. Would like to see his FO abilities to be much better than they are, but c'est la vie.

With a Fiala or Aberg on his wing, Thorton's playmaking abilities could make those kids into extremely dangerous players- but he would cost a fair amount and would require more term that I would like at his age.

Don't like the fit with Hanzal. Bonino has been talked up a bit, but his best season was four years ago. Not sure if he's much of an upgrade over Jarnkrok (who has the best odds to start the season as the #2C).

The problem with both Duchene and Galchenyuk is that they're both way better on the wing....

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
Who I hope ends up 2C: Duchene or Galchenyuk
Who I think could actually end up 2C: Bonino or Hanzal
My pessimistic side is saying come opening day the 2C is Colton Sissons.

And I personally stay away from Thornton unless the deal is really really good.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
at what point does RNH become a cap dump for Edmonton where they would have to essentially pay someone to take him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad