Speculation: Who's Your 2C Target?

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Are any of our draft picks or prospects looking to be top forward scorers? Wondering if we should just focus on developing them like we have our defenseman rather than trading them away for a top forward scorer that will benefit us short term but not long term.

Last edited:

TheJungleHunter

Jun 6, 2017
Nashville, TN
Duchene is the obvious choice.

He loves Nashville and Country Music. Hinted this would be his preferred destination and likely resigning after 2 seasons. Preds need a 1C or 2C, depending on the serious injuries to Fiala/Johansen until late 2017. You might have enough to get him without trading a Big 4 D (Avs want players under 25 and they're 27+).

Duchene

For

Fabbro (AVs superprospect Jost was a former Jr teammate)
Fiala
Kamenev
2018 - 1st Round

A lot to sacrifice within the division. Duchene dynamic skills, breath-taking speed and exceptional hand/eye coordination might be worth the risk. He could be an instant fan favorite like he is the most popular player for the AVs.

I think Fabbro + Kamanev + 2017 1st + 2018 1st would be the most we could do.

After losing Neal, there is no way we trade Fiala.

jusu11

Jun 27, 2012
I think Fabbro + Kamanev + 2017 1st + 2018 1st would be the most we could do.

After losing Neal, there is no way we trade Fiala.

Fabbro + Trenin + 2017 1st + 2018 2nd

or

Fabbro + 2017 1st+ 2018 1st

If the Avs get Fabbro and draft Heiskanen their defense takes a massive step forward. I find it a fair value.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
No way in heck I would pay that. We didn't give that up for Joey, I sure as heck wouldn't for Duchene, I don't care how close we are.

Hot take: we gave up more for Joey. The 2017 first is basically a second round pick. The 2018 first is a wild card. Kamenev and Fabbro are B level prospects will Jones was an A+ prospect.

I'd do that deal and not think twice about it, especially at how terrible we are at drafting in the first round and how low those draft picks will be.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Fabbro + Trenin + 2017 1st + 2018 2nd

or

Fabbro + 2017 1st+ 2018 1st

If the Avs get Fabbro and draft Heiskanen their defense takes a massive step forward. I find it a fair value.
If Poile can get Duchene for either of these packages, he may be in line for back-to-back GM Of The Year awards! It would be nice!

Somebody ought to try the offersheet on Draisatl, though. It may be against etiquette, but if Edmonton gets something more like Crosby/Malkin numbers than Kane/Toews numbers on those guys, their odds of becoming a mini-dynasty/obstacle to the rest of the teams in the West increase. It would be in most teams' interests to make things as tough as possible for them, and it's evident from Chicago's annual purges that two great big contracts can eventually help to put a drag on things.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Somebody ought to try the offersheet on Draisatl, though.

Read a few articles about Draisatl's deal. Most seem to think it will be around $7 mil AAV.

So the question, would you offer him $8?

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Read a few articles about Draisatl's deal. Most seem to think it will be around $7 mil AAV.

In a second but I don't see any way the Oilers don't match. To even have a chance I think you would need to go above the 9,100,000, or whatever it is, threshold where the compensation is 4 1sts.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

I'd easily go to 10M. Our window with Drai and Joey would be open for a long time as long as we can figure out the goal tending.

Forsberg Joey (7M) Arvidsson (3.75M)
Fiala Drai (10M) Smith
Wilson Jarnkrok Aberg (900k)
Salomaki Sissons Watson (1M)

Would leave us almost 900K in cap space including McLeod. Long term outlook looks pretty good too except for 2019-20 when Ellis comes off the books.

Poile won't do it, but it would be pretty cool to see. At least paint the Oilers into a corner. They are going to. Crome a force in the West of someone doesn't mess with them.

Is it a little crazy? Yes. Would it be awesome. Maybe.

I still hope we somehow land Duchene.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'd easily go to 10M. Our window with Drai and Joey would be open for a long time as long as we can figure out the goal tending.

Forsberg Joey (7M) Arvidsson (3.75M)
Fiala Drai (10M) Smith
Wilson Jarnkrok Aberg (900k)
Salomaki Sissons Watson (1M)

Would leave us almost 900K in cap space including McLeod. Long term outlook looks pretty good too except for 2019-20 when Ellis comes off the books.

Poile won't do it, but it would be pretty cool to see. At least paint the Oilers into a corner. They are going to. Crome a force in the West of someone doesn't mess with them.

Is it a little crazy? Yes. Would it be awesome. Maybe.

I still hope we somehow land Duchene.
I was trying to think of whether or not I'd go $10m on him. I was in the $9 million range but I'd think Edmonton would match that. It would strain them a bit but they would. $10m would get really interesting. They either don't match or they do and they're in a bind quickly. We'd have to give up what though? 4 first rounders?

Side note, EDM currently has 16 million in cap space and looking to next summer they have 7 (!) RFAs. One of which, obviously McDavid who will get some absurd number probably in the 12-14 million range. I don't know how they're gonna handle this.

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I was trying to think of whether or not I'd go $10m on him. I was in the $9 million range but I'd think Edmonton would match that. It would strain them a bit but they would. $10m would get really interesting. They either don't match or they do and they're in a bind quickly. We'd have to give up what though? 4 first rounders?

Yes, 4 first rounders. In theory though, they would be late first rounders as we would be a playoff team for a long time. At least the very least it would help sabatoge a rival power in the West. We'd need to make sure Arvy and Joey are locked up first though... should retaliation come to mind.

TheJungleHunter

Jun 6, 2017
Nashville, TN
This might be enough for the Avs to listen and expect Duchene will be traded today.

I think that would be our best potential offer.

It's 4 pieces for 1 and is essentially 3 1st round picks plus a prospect.

We can't move Fiala because we lost Neal.

We won't move a Top 4 D, and plus they are older than the Avs are looking for right now.

I'm hoping this gets done today.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I think that would be our best potential offer.

It's 4 pieces for 1 and is essentially 3 1st round picks plus a prospect.

We can't move Fiala because we lost Neal.

We won't move a Top 4 D, and plus they are older than the Avs are looking for right now.

I'm hoping this gets done today.
I usually scoff at message board trade offers but I could see this happening. This year's 1st rounder, eh, whatever. Next year's draft is supposed to be really deep but even if we pick in the 20 and down range, we likely wouldn't draft anyone who ends up as good as Duchene with the pick anyway.

alexmanu

Jan 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I'd give up Fabbro (will be a good top 4 D but we are quite deep there with our prospects), Kamenev (kind of in limbo, not assured of a place in Nashville but will be a nice NHLer), this year's 1st (virtually a 2nd), and perhaps an additional pick next year (but not another 1st).

I can see this getting done today. Same division or not, this kind of deal would be mutually beneficial. Although Colorado might want Aberg, in which case I'd take out Kamenev and the additional pick.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'd give up Fabbro (will be a good top 4 D but we are quite deep there with our prospects), Kamenev (kind of in limbo, not assured of a place in Nashville but will be a nice NHLer), this year's 1st (virtually a 2nd), and perhaps an additional pick next year (but not another 1st).

I can see this getting done today. Same division or not, this kind of deal would be mutually beneficial. Although Colorado might want Aberg, in which case I'd take out Kamenev and the additional pick.

I love how Fabbro is guaranteed to be a top 4. He isn't guaranteed to be anything at this point. He isn't even an A level prospect.

After seeing what Stepan and Raanta got, I'm not sure we have the pieces to get Duchene. I sort of doubt it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I love how Fabbro is guaranteed to be a top 4. He isn't guaranteed to be anything at this point. He isn't even an A level prospect.

After seeing what Stepan and Raanta got, I'm not sure we have the pieces to get Duchene. I sort of doubt it.
It's all about what they think of him. Maybe they value him more than that.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Stepan and Raanta combined got the 7th overall in a draft that's a bit weak at the top and a good defensive prospect with some big warts that was just recently traded by a team very much in need of defensive help (Tampa) for a 2nd round pick. Is that really a huge haul?

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Garth Snow still covets Avalanche center Matt Duchene, however, and is believed to have an offer on the table that includes Hamonic, a prospect and possibly the Islanders’ 2018 first-round pick. Snow dealt away Friday night’s first-rounder, the 15th overall pick, to Vegas as part of an expansion-draft trade.

If they really offered that and Colorado didn't accept, I don't think we have enough ammo in the magazine to get a Duch deal done.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
That's already been posted a couple of hours ago in the other thread. Many pundits (including Staple himself AFTER he posted that) said that the Isles may not have the cap space for Duchene and Hamonic may only be moved for picks.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I would've matched the price St. Louis paid for Schenn.

He's not really a center though, he's spent waaaaay more time at wing in Philly. And I wouldn't have matched it myself regardless. Mediocre even strength numbers despite playing with Giroux, Simmons and Voracek all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad