Who's the worst Dman in the league.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Statistically speaking, ARI with Goligoski on the ice: 9 high danger chances for, *33* against.

Yikes!

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Every time I catch a Canucks game, it's only a matter of time before Sbisa makes some bone headed decision that either leads to a goal or at the very least a great opportunity for the other team.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
MacDonald won the game for the Coyotes last night, wasn't the first time this year. Gets paid 5 million per year.

Lock the thread.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
MacDonald won the game for the Coyotes last night, wasn't the first time this year. Gets paid 5 million per year.

Lock the thread.

^^^^^^^
This, 100%

I missed parts of the game so I will be kind in saying that what I did see was AMac being directly responsible for the Yotes being up 2-0 after the first period. Not sure what he did after the first.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Sabres fans would like to submit Cody Franson for consideration.

He is a defensive liability every time he is on the ice and he is slow as molasses. The only thing he WAS good for was QBing the PP and he can't even do that right anymore. Every game he dresses is a game i don't want to watch...

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
We always have great debate about the best of the best on this site but rarely do we talk about those who the game is just too much for. Who do you nominate for this dubious award. Also a name for this award would be nice. I'm not that comfortable with the worst Dman in history. I know people in Toronto alway use Aki Berg but I am sure there have been worse.

Anyway back to my nomination, this year I put forth Matthew Hunwick. While he played a little over his head last year and it showed he has really put on a clinic of suck this year that can rarely be matched.

Who is your nominee?

More than one on the Bruins, but there are worthy nominees for this dubious award on other teams as well. Hunwick is a reasonable choice, by the way.

DenverBoone

Oct 5, 2008
Probably more useful to ask "Which defenseman has the worst value?" Some scrub making 750,000 is different than one making 5 Milly.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Its not massively improved. Its at 47%.

He's gotten better every game. Nurse is sitting at 51.23% now, he's visually getting better every game.

If you're actually watching him play the eye test corroborates the same thing, Nurse is vastly improved and he's much better this year.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
:shakehead OMG You are out to lunch if you think Russell and Nurse are some of the worst dmen in the league.

Meh Nurse along with many other mentioned in this thread probably aren't best suited to play in the NHL. There's a lot of raw talent there but he has a hell of a way to go before becoming a steady NHL player.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Sabres fans would like to submit Cody Franson for consideration.

He is a defensive liability every time he is on the ice and he is slow as molasses. The only thing he WAS good for was QBing the PP and he can't even do that right anymore. Every game he dresses is a game i don't want to watch...

Usually referred to him as a taller marc andre bergeron when he was a leaf. Franson has that great half clapper and that's all he can do. It's amazing that he's carved out a career off of it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Meh Nurse along with many other mentioned in this thread probably aren't best suited to play in the NHL. There's a lot of raw talent there but he has a hell of a way to go before becoming a steady NHL player.

You sure about that? How much have you watched him this year?

His underlying numbers are pretty solid, after todays game he's at 51.23% Corsi for and 54.84% SCF. 3 points in 9 games and he's been substantially better on the breakout and in the defensive zone. Nurse is also on the 1st pairing PK unit and the Oilers currently are 3rd in the league in PK %

He's an outstanding skater and playing with significantly more confidence in a noticeable way. What makes you say he shouldn't be in the NHL? I think he's doing very well as a 3rd pairing Dman right now.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
the worst defenseman on the team I follow

Indeed. No one in this league is worse than the *the worst defenseman on the team I follow*.

Which is, depending on the team you follow:

Anaheim: Kevin Bieksa
Boston: Adam McQuaid
Buffalo: Cody Franson
Calgary: Nicklas Grossman
Philadelphia: Andrew MacDonald
Nashville: Matt Carle
NYR: Dan Girardi
Ottawa: Mark Borowiecki
Toronto: Matt Hunwick
Vancouver: Luca Sbisa

etc.