Rumor: Who's scouting who?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
All this talk about trading Martinez.

Yeah he had a bad game last night, but he's been better than Muzzin all season. Martinez is 5th on the team in scoring. He's also signed longer than Muzzin. Not sure Amart is the one I'd move.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Yeah he had a bad game last night, but he's been better than Muzzin all season. Martinez is 5th on the team in scoring. He's also signed longer than Muzzin. Not sure Amart is the one I'd move.

He's been better than Muzzin all season and he's signed longer, but he's older and more fragile. It's all a matter of preference.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The idea that the Kings won't protect Martinez already shoots down your theory.

Kings are likely to go 4-4 in the expansion draft.

Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Doughty, Forbort, Muzzin and Martinez.

What about Brown and Greene? Doesn't Brown have to be protected by a NMC? Also what if Pearson an Toffoli aren't signed by the Expansion Draft? I thought that no contract=DQ'd from protection list because teams could cheat on UFAs that way.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
What about Brown and Greene? Doesn't Brown have to be protected by a NMC? Also what if Pearson an Toffoli aren't signed by the Expansion Draft? I thought that no contract=DQ'd from protection list because teams could cheat on UFAs that way.

Brown doesn't need to be protected. He doesn't have a NMC he has a limited NTC. Greene has nothing, he's likely to end his career on LTIR. I cannot imagine Lombardi would go into the expansion draft with Pearson and Toffoli both unsigned.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He's been better than Muzzin all season and he's signed longer, but he's older and more fragile. It's all a matter of preference.

He's a little more fragile, but his age doesn't concern me. He takes really good care of himself and is a dedicated pro.

I like our defense right now. I'm not ready to start selling just yet. Martinez and Muzzin are "good contracts." We need to focus on getting rid of bad contracts and unnecessary players.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

Not really. On offense, yes -- at least early on. Defensively, no. The real problem is pairing them together.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The other problem is, at least until some other guys gain confidence, Martinez is the only other guy not named Doughty who is comfortable and effective lugging the puck up ice and joining the rush. Remember what goal won the Cup in 2014?

It's arguable Forbort or LaDue may be able to pick that up, but if you don't have anyone but Doughty who can skate the puck, no one is there to keep forecheckers honest.

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
Martinez does not make sense to the NYR unless a LD goes back and that would either be Staal or Holden.
Maybe it is a your stuff for our stuff kinda trade.
Maybe Giraridi/Staal ++ for Brown +
G has one year less on his contract but needs to be protected. If the Kings play a more zone D and not man to man G will be much improved. Staal is playing pretty good right now much better then last season.

Will be interesting to see what is up, because it sounds like the Kings are in the same boat as the NYR. I think you would say the same, but don't expect to get anyone under 25 being the main target. Except for maybe some B prospects.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002

I don't think its just last game, I have noticed him for the wrong reasons a lot this year.

Its all in where you slot people.

I think neither Muzz or him belong on the 2nd pairing. Marty isn't good enough defensively and Muzz seems to me doing to much.

Put Muzz back with DD and tell him all he does is be DD's safety blanket and play that simple game, not trying to do to much and he will succeed.

Martinez is a great #5 lowend #4 with the right support partner

They both make the same money.

Muzz is younger, has succeeded beside Doughty. I keep him everyday of the week.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
The other problem is, at least until some other guys gain confidence, Martinez is the only other guy not named Doughty who is comfortable and effective lugging the puck up ice and joining the rush. Remember what goal won the Cup in 2014?

It's arguable Forbort or LaDue may be able to pick that up, but if you don't have anyone but Doughty who can skate the puck, no one is there to keep forecheckers honest.

you have a good point but at the same time Forbert is becoming a great tape to tape passer and LaDue actually looks solid. Sell Marty while his price is still up. we really need to address a true puck moving Dman that can run a power play.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Martinez does not make sense to the NYR unless a LD goes back and that would either be Staal or Holden.
G has one year less on his contract but needs to be protected. If the Kings play a more zone D and not man to man G will be much improved. Staal is playing pretty good right now much better then last season.

Will be interesting to see what is up, because it sounds like the Kings are in the same boat as the NYR. I think you would say the same, but don't expect to get anyone under 25 being the main target. Except for maybe some B prospects.
The Kings already have 4 d to protect, adding another makes less than zero sense. Especially someone like Girardi who has to be protected. Unless youre going to pay us to take him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
you have a good point but at the same time Forbert is becoming a great tape to tape passer and LaDue actually looks solid. Sell Marty while his price is still up. we really need to address a true puck moving Dman that can run a power play.

Not what I'm talking about. Now everyone on the back end is mobile in our zone and capable of executing great breakout passes. I'm talking about the ability to actually skate the puck and/or join the offense. Muzzin is too slow. Forbort is gaining confidence, but still tentative. I have hope for LaDue here a bit. But regardless my point is only that if you take away that dynamic, teams that are stacking the blueline/neutral zone can cheat to the forwards because they know you won't have the balls to challenge them directly. It takes away controlled entries and results in a dump in at best and a turnover with an oddman break at worst. Watch what happens when McNabb comes up ice with the puck. The whole other team gives him a gap because they know he's passing or skating and dumping. No options, because he can't take the ice himself. Our only guys who can (maybe WILL is the better term since there's potential there) do that currently are Drew and Marty and it's no coincidence they're our highest scoring defensemen.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

I don't think them being signed or not makes any difference in terms of the expansion draft. Vegas can take a certain amount of RFA's if they want. Whatever the exact rules are though, Lombardi isn't going to lose Toffoli or Pearson in the expansion draft. I wouldn't worry about it.

We need to focus on getting rid of bad contracts and unnecessary players.

The bad contracts are Brown, Gaborik, and maybe Kopitar as the years go by. King won't be back next year. So the unnecessary players would be Lewis, Clifford, and McNabb? They should be valuable being unnecessary.

There's really nothing that makes sense between the Kings and Rangers. Zibanejad needs to be signed, with very little money coming off the payroll in UFA's. The Rangers can't take on more money. Martinez for Staal wouldn't make sense, as that's almost $2m more on the cap for the Kings. Brown has actually shown a little life this year, but even then, just moving almost $6m in cap space from up front to the blue line doesn't really help the Kings, especially if the defense has young guys that can play. If Girardi is that awful, I'd rather the Kings keep a declined but semi-animated Brown.

Now I'm not Lombardi, at least I don't think I am, but unless the Rangers want Purcell, or King if the team falls out of the race, I don't see it. Certainly no obvious match to be made anyway.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad