Rumor: Who's scouting who?

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Ok this is just a precursor to the deadline. We know that the Av's, Penguins, Lightning and Blue Jackets have been scouting the Kings. The Kings have been scouting the Sabres, Av's, Penguins. What did I miss?

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
I know it's supposed to be a ****** draft, but that 1st could be top 5. Gotta restock the cupboard somehow.

we are too good to get a top 5, i think its likely we are back in the dreaded black hole for the draft, probably in the 12-18 range

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Whatever fat you can.

Package the first if helps get rid of Gabby or Brown.

Open to options.

They have too many years left on their deals. Unless it's McDavid, one 1st round pick isn't going to be enough. Maybe if they had 1 or 2 years left, but then the Kings themselves could ride it out easier without giving up picks.

There's no easy way to get rid of those contracts, and those contracts only hurt in terms of adding to the team. It's a no win situation for the next few years, and they might be better off with the 20-25 combined goals from the two of them, and just taking the higher picks when they miss the playoffs. That way, when those contracts are finally done, they'll be in a better place to start getting better.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
They have too many years left on their deals. Unless it's McDavid, one 1st round pick isn't going to be enough. Maybe if they had 1 or 2 years left, but then the Kings themselves could ride it out easier without giving up picks.

There's no easy way to get rid of those contracts, and those contracts only hurt in terms of adding to the team. It's a no win situation for the next few years, and they might be better off with the 20-25 combined goals from the two of them, and just taking the higher picks when they miss the playoffs. That way, when those contracts are finally done, they'll be in a better place to start getting better.
completely agree.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
we are too good to get a top 5, i think its likely we are back in the dreaded black hole for the draft, probably in the 12-18 range

In a draft like this, that's probably a blessing.

Go back to the Hickey draft and the back end of the draft had as many gems as the front end.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Will Evander Kane be traded? The LA Kings and Tampa Lightning are two of the teams who have been scouting Buffalo aggressively for the past month. The Kings and Bolts are searching for scoring due to injuries that have hit their respective forward groups. The Kings lost Tyler Toffoli to a lower body injury and have placed him on the IR. I can see a Kane for Jake Muzzin trade brewing between Buffalo and Los Angeles. The Kings need a top six play maker and scorer to play alongside the silent Silent Kopitar. Kane fits that bill to a tee. Murray needs a top four left D and Muzzin fits that bill.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Bylsma-Needs-Bailey-To-Infuse-Offense/6/81719

On the Sabres board, the consensus seems to be that it would be Kane + for Muzzin.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It would have to be a pretty big +. Don't particularly care about Kane's upside, he's a risk, and the last #2 d-man that got traded got Taylor Hall so...

Edit: man, you were right. They are way more reasonable than the Avs fans who were selling us on Muzzin as a #4 d-man and we should be thankful they'd take him off our hands for Iginla...

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
At this point I don't think LA should make any moves unless it is for a young player that can be around for awhile in a key role. No UFAs at all.

The expansion draft just complicates this year so much.

LA could sneak in or finish in the black hole.

I say roll with it.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
At this point I don't think LA should make any moves unless it is for a young player that can be around for awhile in a key role. No UFAs at all.

The expansion draft just complicates this year so much.

LA could sneak in or finish in the black hole.

I say roll with it.

Well Kane is a youngish player (25yo), and if the Kings traded for him he'd be part of their long term plans.

The problem with Kane is the character issues, and the fact that he only has one more year left on his deal. I think he'll want 6.5M+

IMO Kane is a mediocre player, so I probably wouldn't make the move.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Id rather have Muzzin at 4M per till 2020 than one year of the giant question-mark that is Evander Kane. unless Kane comes with a crazy prospect and a high pick, no thanks

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Brown is from Western New York. Ithica is about 2 hours away from Buffalo.

Just sayin.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I am not a fan of Kane either, the guy is really not that great.

Too much ego, all about the "I", which is not a letter in the word TEAM.

But, DL has been actively hunting a top 6 winger...this from today's buffalo news.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/01/28/inside-nhl-got-snubbed-left-off-top100/

Why is there a Los Angeles scout at pretty much every Buffalo game or a Sabres scout at just about every Kings game of late? As hot as he is right now, the Kings could certainly use Evander Kane in their lineup on the wing.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Like I said in the trade thread, it's a good thing GMs look at more than the last 25 games in player evaluation.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I can't see Sutter and Kane existing in the same zip code. So I am wondering who the Kings are scouting. I can't see Gionta or Moulson. Maybe Ennis or Foglino? Both are reasonable cap wise but both contracts are expiring. You would think if they are eyeing a forward it would not be another rental.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad