Who's our coach next season?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Three seasons after winning the cup the Canes went to the Eastern finals, so yes their eight playoff wins are better than the Kings 1 playoff wins in the three years after 2014.

Most teams don't fall off the cliff like this team did.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Worse than Carolina after they won and then disappeared?

They had 88 points, 92 points, then 97 points and a Conference Finals appearance within the three years after they won their Cup in 2007.

The Kings have a first round exit with a single game won in that lone playoff appearance in the three years proceeding their Cup win.

That's the least amount of playoff wins in that timeframe from any former Stanley Cup winning team in 50 years.

Quite the accomplishment this team should be proud of.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
If you're comparing apples to apples the Kings went to the conference finals, won a second Stanley Cup, and missed the playoffs in the three years after "their cup". To pretend that the first cup didn't happen is disingenuous at best.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
If you're comparing apples to apples the Kings went to the conference finals, won a second Stanley Cup, and missed the playoffs in the three years after "their cup". To pretend that the first cup didn't happen is disingenuous at best.

I agree. Granted, things DO need to change, but the core won their first cup in 2012. It may be the worst three seasons after *a* cup win but let's have some appropriate context.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I agree, but Dean Lombardi should have recognized after missing the playoffs in 2015 the Kings had a great three year run, and it was over.

Many fans would not have accepted it, but a GM is paid to restructure the team when the time comes.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

It's not about the first Cup, which was five years ago. Jeez, already half a decade has passed since then. It's about how a Cup winning team held up.

Things were fine after 2012, the team hadn't suffered any major losses aside from Scuderi leaving for Pittsburgh in 2013. Penner, Gagne, Fraser, Bernier, Richardson, etc., were replacable parts.

They started to really suffer setbacks after 2014. It's been all downhill since then, and it's snowballed into the least successful team the Kings have iced in quite some time.

This summer, the Kings will have their highest first round draft selection since drafting Brayden Schenn with the 5th overall pick in the 2009 draft.

How much better can this team get next season if they don't make any significant changes?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I don't blame Dean 100% for failing to keep the team competitive. The Voynov scandal was out of his control. And yeah, he could have CBOed Richards, but you're still losing a second line C and leader for nothing. Maybe some of you wanted Dean to be prescient about the off ice issues the team had, but he wasn't.

He deserves blame for the things he COULD control, though, in which he didn't need prescience. Like breaking his own golden rules of overvaluing and overpaying wingers, and making deadline deals for players who he knew wouldn't stick around.

If Dean doesn't hand out a combined 9 million AAV to Brown and Gaborik, and of course CBOs Richards, he has a lot more wiggle room to fix the Voynov hole early on, and perhaps keep the team competitive.

I still don't have a problem with the Kopitar contract. Every competitive team is going to pay dearly to hold on to #1 centers and defensemen (hello, Toews). That's just the way the league works. Unless Dean can trade Kopitar for McDavid or someone like him, you're screwed either way there.

I'm of the opinion that albatross contracts in superfluous positions killed the team more than anything else. But I'm sure some will disagree because omg 14 million dollars.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
I listed exactly what was written above. After we won a cup we went to WCF then on to a second SC. You can not just remove that context or pretend it never occurred. Also that our winning % was better anyway anyhow you put it. Add to it how many times has a team with 95 points missed the playoffs? Who knows what would have happened had we made it that year.

I'll leave it at this below and let you continue with yourself or whoever as your life lives/dies on arguing on an internet forum, which is a sad enough life to not need to provoke and further perpetuate.

"The moment you start arguing with an ignorant fool, you've already lost" Imam Ali

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't blame Dean 100% for failing to keep the team competitive. The Voynov scandal was out of his control. And yeah, he could have CBOed Richards, but you're still losing a second line C and leader for nothing. Maybe some of you wanted Dean to be prescient about the off ice issues the team had, but he wasn't.

He deserves blame for the things he COULD control, though, in which he didn't need prescience. Like breaking his own golden rules of overvaluing and overpaying wingers, and making deadline deals for players who he knew wouldn't stick around.

If Dean doesn't hand out a combined 9 million AAV to Brown and Gaborik, and of course CBOs Richards, he has a lot more wiggle room to fix the Voynov hole early on, and perhaps keep the team competitive.

I still don't have a problem with the Kopitar contract. Every competitive team is going to pay dearly to hold on to #1 centers and defensemen (hello, Toews). That's just the way the league works. Unless Dean can trade Kopitar for McDavid or someone like him, you're screwed either way there.

I'm of the opinion that albatross contracts in superfluous positions killed the team more than anything else. But I'm sure some will disagree because omg 14 million dollars.

I think the Brown, Gaborik and Kopitar contracts are all factors. Point is once you have already made two mistakes, do you need to make a third one?

Maybe, just maybe, Dean should have done an honest assessment of where the organization was in the summer of 2015, and acted accordingly.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Lindy Ruff now available

Good coach, just don't see him as a good fit for LA. Smart guy, knows the game but that system of his, to me, was not a good for the personnel he has. They should be a better team, given the talent they have. They had a bad year and end up with the #8 pick, which will net them a top center probably, draft is center heavy. New coach, better goaltending and some defensive help, they'll bounce back. And just because the experts are saying it's a 'weak' d raft, doesn't mean there aren't some very good players there, esp in the top 10.
Ruff might end up in Florida...

As for the Kings, I would love Gallant, but he'll have his pick. And of course it all depends on if DS elects to retire.
If not Gallant, I'd like to see STothers get a shot, he's familiar with their young players and that is a positive for a new coach with his fist NHL gig. At least make him an assistant, get his feet in the NHL pool.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Calling Richards a 2nd line center in 2014 would be like calling Gaborik and Iginla 40 goal scorers. He was a 4th line center and a terrible one at that.

Agree with most everything else, although wingers have been the biggest difference between the team contending or not. Carter and Gaborik both acquired as wingers, put the team over the top. The Kings don't win the cup in 2014 without Gaborik.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Calling Richards a 2nd line center in 2014 would be like calling Gaborik and Iginla 40 goal scorers. He was a 4th line center and a terrible one at that.

Agree with most everything else, although wingers have been the biggest difference between the team contending or not. Carter and Gaborik both acquired as wingers, put the team over the top. The Kings don't win the cup in 2014 without Gaborik.

Gabborik got seriously rich for a months worth of work.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Could've had Iginla for slightly more on a 3 year deal.

Gaborik was great for the Kings in those playoffs, he scored more big goals than anyone.

I seriously doubt Gaborik at age 32 was looking for seven years, four years with a higher AAV probably gets it done.

But Dean needed to cut corners to bring back his $6m a year AHL center.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Gaborik was great for the Kings in those playoffs, he scored more big goals than anyone.

I seriously doubt Gaborik at age 32 was looking for seven years, four years with a higher AAV probably gets it done.

But Dean needed to cut corners to bring back his $6m a year AHL center.

I think a bunch of NHL analysts thought he would sign a 3-4 year deal too. I sure was shocked he signed for 7 years. I get why they signed him and he fit in well with Kopitar. But man 7 years was ugly for a guy who can't even play 60 games a season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I thought it was pretty clear the years went 7 instead of 3-4 to keep the cap down, it wasn't because Gaborik was going to be useful for 7 more years.

Money wouldn't have been a surprise given his playoff performance, and we quickly forget he had 27 goals the next season, too.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
Three seasons after winning the cup the Canes went to the Eastern finals, so yes their eight playoff wins are better than the Kings 1 playoff wins in the three years after 2014.

Most teams don't fall off the cliff like this team did.

most teams dont experience core players getting addicted to drugs (Richards), players beating their wives and subsequently being deported (Voynov) , such anomalous seasons (what was it, 3 for 17 in OT/SO games in 2015?) , or the level of fatigue (SC in 2012, WCF in 2013, and SC in 2014) either. keep in mind this season was supposed to be regressive, and once Quick went down the writing was on the wall. some posters here have a really hard time looking at the big picture. the Kings have been insanely unlucky since 2014. theyve also unperformed, but to compare them to that Canes team without proper context is infuriatingly ignorant and short sighted. a team falling off after a cup, a conference finals appearance, and a cup in a three year period is not the same as a team falling off after one cup win. not even close

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
If Dean is able to sign Brown for just a million less, CBOs Richards, and doesn't resign Gaborik, we have a very different team today, even with Kopitar's 10 million cap hit.

I also don't know how Dean is supposed to "honestly assess" Kopitar last offseason, either. Kopitar was coming off yet another 70 point season, and Toews had already set the market. You ether give Kopitar that contract, or you trade his rights (for peanuts).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The time to trade Kopitar, if there was one, was post-14/15. But that would have shocked the hockey world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad