Who's our coach next season?

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
After the last 2-3 weeks, there's no way Sutter's our coach next season. I'm DVRing the games but literally fast-forwarding through them .... lol, waste of time to keep watching us lose in real time.

And they're all the same game. We're always out-shooting them & losing....

Any good candidates for next season?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Who do I WANT it to be? Gerard Gallant.

Who do I THINK it will be? Sutter or John stevens.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I know it's probably going to be the same-old same-old if a new coach is brought in, but one guy I'd like to see considered is Todd Rierden. He has a reputation for developing young D-men when he was in the AHL, but at the same time he's spent his time in the Pittsburgh and Washington orgs, who definitely emphasize more creative, up-tempo play.

I think a mixture of that defensive mindset along with a more offensive style is exactly what the Kings need. He is also coaching under Trotz, who I have incredible respect for as a coach.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
If Ralph Krueger is willing to come back to the NHL, I would choose him as the number 1 option. Team Europe looked like a disaster during the world cup of hockey, but he was able to bring these non-affiliated players together and go to the finals. Also, Kopitar and Gaborik were playing great under him, which is a huge plus.

My next pick with be Gallant. He took a failing Florida team and made them competitive. Also, the Panthers style of play was dynamic while he was coach, and the team appeared to be trending in the right direction with development, until there was a change in management. I think he can be a new voice that will reinvigorate life in to this dead team.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
If Ralph Krueger is willing to come back to the NHL, I would choose him as the number 1 option. Team Europe looked like a disaster during the world cup of hockey, but he was able to bring these non-affiliated players together and go to the finals. Also, Kopitar and Gaborik were playing great under him, which is a huge plus.

My next pick with be Gallant. He took a failing Florida team and made them competitive. Also, the Panthers style of play was dynamic while he was coach, and the team appeared to be trending in the right direction with development, until there was a change in management. I think he can be a new voice that will reinvigorate life in to this dead team.

I could get behind either of these picks.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Being a great coach in a tournament and a great coach for an entire NHL season and playoffs are two different things.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Ralph Krueger is an excellent coach, but he has a really well paid gig right now. He is Chairman of the Southhampton Premier league club.

No reason to return to the NHL.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Ralph Krueger is an excellent coach, but he has a really well paid gig right now. He is Chairman of the Southhampton Premier league club.

No reason to return to the NHL.

This is exactly who I wanted to coach after watching the World Cup of Hockey. He's an excellent tactician and knows the game well.

Ideally, anyone but Sutter. Stothers/Stevens/Gallant would be fine with me.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Iron Mike Keenan! Coach is probably an incredibly difficult hire, literally a whole team worth of variables, will he work with them and maximize their talents? Sutter hasn't been able to do that in years. Then will the new coach get along with the GM whoever that may be. Like a couple of others have said I'd like to see somebody with a fresh mind, somebody who can innovate and make in game changes. Iron Mike Keenan was sarcasm by the way, don't want to get attacked by fast fingers.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Sutter will be the coach. You guys will still complain about it to death, and it'll be another lean year on the forum because you guys can't understand or handle the fact that there are 31 teams in the league and some are good and some are bad and some are just comfortably right there in the lower middle.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Sutter will be the coach. You guys will still complain about it to death, and it'll be another lean year on the forum because you guys can't understand or handle the fact that there are 31 teams in the league and some are good and some are bad and some are just comfortably right there in the lower middle.

This poster must be Darryl Sutter's biggest fan. Reads like the same BS Sutter spouts. Sixteen teams make the playoffs, if the Kings aren't as good as 50% of the league with the payroll that they have, someone is going to be held accountable.

Missing the playoffs twice over the past three years with an embarrassing showing in the playoffs in between that is not going to buy a coach more time.

There's a good reason to complain, and unlike you, we're not some blind lemmings who are going to continue to shell out money for such a crappy on-ice product.

If you're entertained by some boring, garbage hockey, then I'm sure the organization would appreciate having more foolish fans like you renewing season tickets.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Accepting your team sucks is one thing, we did it for years. Every fan knew that the Kings didn't have a chance in hell at winning for a long time. If this team was full of young players learning on the job and getting beat, I don't think you'd hear as many complaints about the coach.

Accepting your team sucking because they are underachieving is something completely different. This team should be in the playoffs. When a team underachieves en masse, its usually a coaching problem, hence the reaction. If no one is held accountable, that's an acceptance of mediocrity, which I don't think anyone wants to go back to.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Accepting your team sucks is one thing, we did it for years. Every fan knew that the Kings didn't have a chance in hell at winning for a long time. If this team was full of young players learning on the job and getting beat, I don't think you'd hear as many complaints about the coach.

Accepting your team sucking because they are underachieving is something completely different. This team should be in the playoffs. When a team underachieves en masse, its usually a coaching problem, hence the reaction. If no one is held accountable, that's an acceptance of mediocrity, which I don't think anyone wants to go back to.

Half the defense is rookies. For young forwards we're using Kempe, Shore, Dowd, Andreoff, and now Brodzinski.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Half the defense is rookies. For young forwards we're using Kempe, Shore, Dowd, Andreoff, and now Brodzinski.

Like it was said, underperformance has been the problem. Out of those players, none really contributed to the teams woes. Brodzinski was brought up after the writing was on the wall. Shore and Andreoff have been scratches, and Dowd has actually exceeded some expectations. Kempe has done OK.

The bigger problem is that Toffoli, Pearson, and Carter have 10 points in their last 20 games. Kopitar hasn't been playing well, but is at least pulling his weight with 15 in his last 20. Unfortunately he's been a -9 over that stretch. 8 of his points were even strength, so that means he's been on the ice for 17 ES goals in the last 20 games. Sheesh. No Selke nod this year?

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The rookie defensemen are not the reason we are losing. Its the underperforming forward vets like Kopitar, Toffoli, Gaborik, Brown et al.

Right. I don't think we disagree, I just think injecting youth hasn't been the issue this season. The youth was there. The veterans failed to show up most of the season.

Like it was said, underperformance has been the problem. Out of those players, none really contributed to the teams woes. Brodzinski was brought up after the writing was on the wall. Shore and Andreoff have been scratches, and Dowd has actually exceeded some expectations. Kempe has done OK.

The bigger problem is that Toffoli, Pearson, and Carter have 10 points in their last 20 games. Kopitar hasn't been playing well, but is at least pulling his weight with 15 in his last 20. Unfortunately he's been a -9 over that stretch. 8 of his points were even strength, so that means he's been on the ice for 17 ES goals in the last 20 games. Sheesh. No Selke nod this year?

Right, I totally agree. Our veterans let the team down for the most part.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think Herby and Ziggy are the top two choices. :)

Maybe not to coach.

But I guarantee with 100% certainty that we (along with just about anyone else on this board) could have managed this team significantly better the last three seasons than Dean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad