Who's our coach next season?

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
If you produce, you can get more on the next contract when the cap is rising.

He also has never wanted to leave San Jose, from what I recall. Full NTC, no?

NMC I think. His cap hit went down from $7.2 million to $7 million to $6.5 million for an average of $6.9 million as he got older. You're telling me he couldn't have gotten a 8-10 year deal worth $7 million a season back in 2008? Just odd since most guys take the guaranteed money up front rather than gamble on themselves. Especially established elite players.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Anyone know why Joe Thornton routinely took 3 year deals starting 12 years ago? Seems like he could've easily gotten one of those ridiculous deals of something like 12 years, $7 million a season. Why did he take 3 year deals when he was in his prime and averaging a point per game?

Thornton has been taking reasonably termed deals for quite some time. It should be the model all GMs follow.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Players may be more open to leaving money on the table if they are in their 30s, have made and are still making big money and--the kicker--have never won a Cup and want to stay in the city they are already in.

Only way for the GMs to follow the "Thornton Model" would be via collusion.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Players may be more open to leaving money on the table if they are in their 30s, have made and are still making big money and--the kicker--have never won a Cup and want to stay in the city they are already in.

Only way for the GMs to follow the "Thornton Model" would be via collusion.

You don't have to collude. GMs just have to be smart. Pretty soon agents run out of bigger fools. So far, there are too many fools.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You don't have to collude. GMs just have to be smart. Pretty soon agents run out of bigger fools. So far, there are too many fools.

All GMs implicitly agreeing to not give out more than 3 contracts is what exactly then?

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I don't know why we're looking at how the Kings dropped off after a second cup. Most teams have won only one in the last decade or so. So after the first cup, a western finals conference appearance (and loss to the eventual champion) and a second cup don't look like a horrible drop-off to me. I think they would have done well in the 2015 playoffs too - had they made it in.

I mean, there's certainly a lot to be concerned about with this team. But we're already blessed with hindsight - there's no need to contort the facts so that every point lines up to construct a narrative of absolutes.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Hi flyers fan here. One mildly interesting name I will throw in there is Craig Berube. Back in his Philly days he alluded to his system being based on Babcock's strategy and veterans performed really well under him. I also remember him doing a good job with zone starts and matchups. Wouldn't just randomly throw 4th line grinders for offensive zone faceoff in third period. Now he is coach of Blues Ahl affiliate and they are having pretty decent season.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't know why we're looking at how the Kings dropped off after a second cup. Most teams have won only one in the last decade or so. So after the first cup, a western finals conference appearance (and loss to the eventual champion) and a second cup don't look like a horrible drop-off to me. I think they would have done well in the 2015 playoffs too - had they made it in.

I mean, there's certainly a lot to be concerned about with this team. But we're already blessed with hindsight - there's no need to contort the facts so that every point lines up to construct a narrative of absolutes.

You don't have to contort facts to draw up the results since then. This is the worst three year stretch after winning a Cup since the '67 Leafs.

This is the worst winning percentage since 2008-09. What do you call a team that has one single playoff win in three years?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You don't have to contort facts to draw up the results since then. This is the worst three year stretch after winning a Cup since the '67 Leafs.

This is the worst winning percentage since 2008-09. What do you call a team that has one single playoff win in three years?

A good team? Obviously, some here would.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

My point is that this is the worst three-year stretch after winning a second cup in a short amount of time. I get what you are saying - how can we go from a cup to one playoff appearance? - but that cup didn't come in a vacuum - it came after a prior cup and a conference final appearance.

There's already a strong argument saying the current team needs work - one does't need to ignore the first cup and the conference final appearance to load the argument. It becomes disingenuous at that point.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
My point is that this is the worst three-year stretch after winning a second cup in a short amount of time. I get what you are saying - how can we go from a cup to one playoff appearance? - but that cup didn't come in a vacuum - it came after a prior cup and a conference final appearance.

There's already a strong argument saying the current team needs work - one does't need to ignore the first cup and the conference final appearance to load the argument. It becomes disingenuous at that point.

So many things have changed since then, which is why it'll be so difficult to even win a playoff round with this team as it is.

The depth isn't the same, they're not as good at moving the puck, they have less fire power now than those teams, they're softer than those teams, and now they're also older.

A lot has gone wrong since 2014, and a lot has to go right for this team to even sneak into the playoffs. It might take a few years to even get that far.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
All GMs implicitly agreeing to not give out more than 3 contracts is what exactly then?

im·plic·it
imˈplisit/Submit
adjective
implied though not plainly expressed.
"comments seen as implicit criticism of the policies"
synonyms: implied, hinted at, suggested, insinuated;

com·plic·it
kəmˈplisit/Submit
adjective
involved with others in an illegal activity or wrongdoing.
"all of these people are complicit in some criminal conspiracy"

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So many things have changed since then, which is why it'll be so difficult to even win a playoff round with this team as it is.

The depth isn't the same, they're not as good at moving the puck, they have less fire power now than those teams, they're softer than those teams, and now they're also older.

A lot has gone wrong since 2014, and a lot has to go right for this team to even sneak into the playoffs. It might take a few years to even get that far.

Just for fun, because what else is fun about watching the Kings right now, I went back and looked at highlights of the 2014 run.

It's amazing how quickly the Kings transition from their own zone to the attack. And yes, they weren't Charmin soft.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
im·plic·it
imˈplisit/Submit
adjective
implied though not plainly expressed.
"comments seen as implicit criticism of the policies"
synonyms: implied, hinted at, suggested, insinuated;

com·plic·it
kəmˈplisit/Submit
adjective
involved with others in an illegal activity or wrongdoing.
"all of these people are complicit in some criminal conspiracy"

Cute.

Could you answer the question?

It's not like RFA Offer Sheets, which HAVE happened regardless of the supposedly 'unspoken rule' of not ******* over other GMS; if all GMs are suddenly refusing to give out more than 3 year contracts to UFAs?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Hi flyers fan here. One mildly interesting name I will throw in there is Craig Berube. Back in his Philly days he alluded to his system being based on Babcock's strategy and veterans performed really well under him. I also remember him doing a good job with zone starts and matchups. Wouldn't just randomly throw 4th line grinders for offensive zone faceoff in third period. Now he is coach of Blues Ahl affiliate and they are having pretty decent season.

Maybe as an assistant if Stevens got the job?

The league is also different than it was for most of the time between the last 3 years and 1967. It was much easier to make the playoffs for one. Most Cup teams remained together as there was no cap, and free agency wasn't really a thing.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

Unless the contracts are capped at three years, they would have to collude, no?

"Being smart" in this case would be to all agree to not give longer contracts. Of course, this will never happen as one GM will go a year longer and a million more to get the guy they want.

So, like you've said in the past, the GMs/Owners have to be saved from themselves per the CBA or else all bets are off.

Unless, of course, they collude.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Thornton has been taking reasonably termed deals for quite some time. It should be the model all GMs follow.

You mean it should be the model all other players follow. Sign a more team friendly deal, and you get better players around you. The GM's are the more desperate party in the equation though. They're the ones that can get fired. Players get a lot of money whether they stay, get traded, or bought out. Thornton hasn't won yet either, so maybe that has something to do with it too.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Where does this worst 3 years after a cup win since 67' come from? Just a decade ago: Carolina Hurricanes: 88, 92, 97 points compared to 95, 102, 83 (2 games pending). This is also after winning 1 cup not 2 with a WCF in between. Now I'm no expert at math, but even if we lose our next two games... 277 pts <> 280 pts quite sure the latter is a better winning % over a 3 year span. Furthermore quite sure they didn't lose a legit #2 (Voynov) on a cheap contract for nothing, #2 center fall off the cliff and get terminated for drugs, lose their Conn Smyth goalie game 1 into the season, etc.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
where does this worst 3 years after a cup win since 67' come from? Just a decade ago: Carolina hurricanes: 88, 92, 97 points compared to 95, 102, 83 (2 games pending). This is also after winning 1 cup not 2 with a wcf in between. Now i'm no expert at math, but even if we lose our next two games... 277 pts <> 280 pts quite sure the latter is a better winning % over a 3 year span. Furthermore quite sure they didn't lose a legit #2 (voynov) on a cheap contract for nothing, #2 center fall off the cliff and get terminated for drugs, lose their conn smyth goalie game 1 into the season, etc.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
You brought up winning %. I addressed that way to ignore it though! Ignore facts presented and proceed to a next thing just like in every other thread.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You brought up winning %. I addressed that way to ignore it though! Ignore facts presented and proceed to a next thing just like in every other thread.

Reading comprehension must be something you struggle with on a daily basis.

The Kings have their lowest winning percentage since 2008-09. That's a fact. The Kings have also had the worst three year stretch of any Cup champions in 50 years.

If anyone is ignoring facts, it's you. Now I see why illiteracy is looked at as a major concern...

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Reading comprehension must be something you struggle with on a daily basis.

The Kings have their lowest winning percentage since 2008-09. That's a fact. The Kings have also had the worst three year stretch of any Cup champions in 50 years.

If anyone is ignoring facts, it's you. Now I see why illiteracy is looked at as a major concern...

Worse than Carolina after they won and then disappeared?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad