Who's our coach next season?

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
If Dean is able to sign Brown for just a million less, CBOs Richards, and doesn't resign Gaborik, we have a very different team today, even with Kopitar's 10 million cap hit.

I also don't know how Dean is supposed to "honestly assess" Kopitar last offseason, either. Kopitar was coming off yet another 70 point season, and Toews had already set the market. You ether give Kopitar that contract, or you trade his rights (for peanuts).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The time to trade Kopitar, if there was one, was post-14/15. But that would have shocked the hockey world.

Kopitar and Brown are not the issues. Heck Brown had a very solid season 36 points on an offensively challenged team that translates into like 50-55 on other teams.

Gaborik and Richards on the other hand. The Gaborik signing was beyond stupid better to give him like 500K more and limit it to 3 years.

Richards was an emotional mistake that bit Lombardi in the butt. Minute you stop treating sports as a business, you do stupid things like that.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If Dean is able to sign Brown for just a million less, CBOs Richards, and doesn't resign Gaborik, we have a very different team today, even with Kopitar's 10 million cap hit.

I also don't know how Dean is supposed to "honestly assess" Kopitar last offseason, either. Kopitar was coming off yet another 70 point season, and Toews had already set the market. You ether give Kopitar that contract, or you trade his rights (for peanuts).

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The time to trade Kopitar, if there was one, was post-14/15. But that would have shocked the hockey world.

I believe this is what I said. Dean should have not only done an honest assessment of Kopitar in the summer of 2015, but the entire team. He would have seen the three year run was over.

Kopitar had 64 points and 16 goals in 2014-15 with a low number of shots for a 1C of 134 shots.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The Hoven article is really something if all of it is to be believed.

I didn't want Sutter back last season as I felt they needed a change but they went ahead and brought the band back together one more time for the 50th anniversary season that was multiple years in the planning.

It's funny though: Sutter had lower expectations than he ever had before for this team right off the bat. He was kinder in his post-game pressers and seemed to know the roster was limited. While he is not happy to miss the playoffs, I don't think he is surprised while factions of management are saying this is unacceptable.

I still think Sutter had low expectations going in but signed on to coach again because those $$$ are nice and Chris Sutter loves the LA situation. Sutter apparently still had to discuss what was going forward with Dean prior to signing the extension. When Sutter sits there, sees the July 1st "haul" and then is given Setoguchi to help replace Lucic, well, it may not have been what he thought he was signing up for.

He threw DL under the bus in last night's presser and he isn't wrong. Kopitar put Sutter under the bus with that "whoever is behind the bench" comment, especially if the answer was in response to a question that didn't even mention the possibility of a coaching change (haven't listened to the interview). Kopitar isn't wrong either because I do feel these guys will get a boost from a new voice but, of course, not liking Sutter doesn't excuse Kopitar's season.

So everyone is at fault. Can't fire the players. Coach usually goes before the GM. This wouldn't be the first time Lombardi had to fire Sutter. I think he's gone and DL stays as GM and hires the replacement.

Interesting to read the innuendo RE: DL/Sutter's relationship. Does it sour simply because of the results of the past few seasons with both of them blaming each other? Wonder how much input Sutter had to Dean's decisions post-2014. I mean, if anyone other than DL would of not bought out Richards, it would of been Darryl Sutter. Still DL's decision but it would not surprise me one bit if Sutter didn't chime in with his pro-Richards thoughts.

Let's not forget Sutter has been a GM too, and a horrible one to boot. He's a big character and carries big opinions which he isn't afraid to share. I can totally see the two of these competitive guys start to blame the other one once things go to ****.

As for the rest of the article...concerned about a Gaborik buy out and the cap ramifications. I think he can turn it around with a different coach. Always a bit of enigma, the guy has gone to coasting mode under Sutter. He was supposedly done in CBJ and then comes here and is one of the best goal scorers in the league again from time of the trade through the end of the '15 season. ****ing prima donna scorers, man.

Like the Matt Greene retirement possibility as that cap hit will come in handy. I like even more that he would stay with the team in some capacity. He's a natural in front of a camera so that would be a good move if they can swing it, along with player development. Guy won the Most Inspirational Player award from his teammates and it feels like he hasn't played since December. Great guy and an asset to this organization if he remains part of it in any capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad