Speculation: Who's going to start in Goal tonight - register your prediction !

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If Carlyle had any faith in MacIntyre he'd probably have put him in net after Reimer gifted the Habs a 2-0 lead last night. I'd guess he'll go with Reimer again.

I get the feeling that is true.
Putting MacIntyre in might tighten up the D to protect the new guy tho.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I tell you what, if it's not MacIntyre then I may hop on board the fire Carlyle

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Reimer got more than enough run support and let in the weakest goal possible from a terrible angle that cost us a CRUCIAL point.

The guy makes Fleury look like an elite goalie who has great mental fortitude.

Get him out of here.

The team averages <3 GF and >3 GA a game, and in the four games that differ between each goalie's post-break record they averaged a full GF more for Bernier.

So, no, he didn't get enough run support for a team allowing more than 3 GA a game, and he didn't get the run support Bernier got which allowed the team to get four OT games. And, for the record, he hasn't gotten it of late when we've been losing to 'hot' conference opposition. Bernier's the better guy when they're both on, but neither one has been, and the team has stunk.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
The team averages <3 GF and >3 GA a game, and in the four games that differ between each goalie's post-break record they averaged a full GF more for Bernier.

So, no, he didn't get enough run support for a team allowing more than 3 GA a game, and he didn't get the run support Bernier got which allowed the team to get four OT games. And, for the record, he hasn't gotten it of late when we've been losing to 'hot' conference opposition. Bernier's the better guy when they're both on, but neither one has been, and the team has stunk.

Oh, this is a great post.

KlaxicoBurress

Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yeah, especially against a porous team like Montreal that allowed two first period goals.

Oh god, give me a break. Reimer should've had at least ONE of those wristers if not both. They were saveable shots. Bernier gets a piece of one of those, whereas Reimer gets beat cleanly on both. Price on the other hand wasn't saving either of the Leafs 2 goals. Lupul one-timer through a screen and Bozak wide open on the doorstep for the other. It's foolish to play the "well Montreal gave up 2 goals too in the 1st period" card when you don't take into context how the goals were scored.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Oh god, give me a break. Reimer should've had at least ONE of those wristers if not both.

Sure, no doubt. Sometimes goaltenders allow goals they should have had. Both of ours have done it.

Bernier gets a piece of one of those, whereas Reimer gets beat cleanly on both.

Would he? Pre-Olympic break, I'd have said sure, but post-break, I'm not sold. He's let in some stinkers, too.

It's foolish to play the "well Montreal gave up 2 goals too in the 1st period" card when you don't take into context how the goals were scored.

Sorry, I thought the argument being made was that it was "hard to score goals when you give up three". Besides, I'm pretty sure 'shots through a screen' and 'doorstep' goals (remember how we let Stamkos get three?) haven't been passes for Reimer in the other games, but I won't get into that.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Reimer will start. Even though he's been garbage lately, he was the guy last year, they're not going to bet their playoff spot on a career minor league scrub who's played 104 total minutes in the NHL.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, especially against a porous team like Montreal that allowed two first period goals.

We tied it up but what did Reimer do? Allow another backbreaking goal. I can't believe your in agreement here that the team score more goals when Bernier was in net then Reimer was, because it would be very hard to score goals when your constantly playing catch up the entire game.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Sure, no doubt. Sometimes goaltenders allow goals they should have had. Both of ours have done it.

Would he? Pre-Olympic break, I'd have said sure, but post-break, I'm not sold. He's let in some stinkers, too.

Sorry, I thought the argument being made was that it was "hard to score goals when you give up three". Besides, I'm pretty sure 'shots through a screen' and 'doorstep' goals (remember how we let Stamkos get three?) haven't been passes for Reimer in the other games, but I won't get into that.

Oh boy. So your saying Bernier wouldn't have those because of his state? His play hasn't even been bad at all since the NYR game like your making it to be. He may very well be in a slump. Would I trust that he puts up a sv% of .925 or whatever his average was after the olympic break. I would go for the first one.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The worst part of this I the leafs miss out, Carlyle will skate another year on the wings of tending failed us. Not the FACT that his team does not perform well defensively and support the tenders.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I would start Mac but we will start Riemer.

I understand why, you pretty much have to go with the experience in important games like this.

I would gamble on Mac though as Riemer hasn't shown any sign of turning it around. That last goal he gave up sealed it for me on it being worth the gamble.

KingMatthews

popcorn.gif
Jan 14, 2009
Toronto
There's almost zero chance MacIntyre is going to start this game. It's going to be James Reimer, and he's going to have a solid game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad