Who's going into the Hall of Fame from the 2003 Draft?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Just read the thread about the 2015 draft comparing it to the 2003 draft, both extraordinary but 2015 already looks to better with many players on track for Hall of Fame careers. So I went and looked at the 2003 draft, this class is now at 1000 games give or take 100 games so their careers are pretty much defined as they are close to retirement though there are some if they play 4-5 more years at a good level might make the difference. So who is Hall of Fame bound and who isn't?

Here's who I say gets in

Marc Andre Fleury
Patrice Bergeron
Ryan Getzlaf
Brent Burns
Shea Weber

Guys who won't

Thomas Vanek
Jeff Carter
Zach Parise
Ryan Kesler
Corey Perry

Not sure

Eric Staal *numbers say he should*
Ryan Suter
Joe Pavelski *seems to be maintaining level where he should be considered*
Brent Seabrook
Dustin Byfuglien

Thoughts?

2003 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
the only locks Are Bergeron and probably fleury.

Getzlaf will likely go in too but if
It were a strict HOF I don’t know if he would.

This is just off the top of my head and getzlaf has 300 more points then I remember I apologize but it’s late

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Neither will get in, but in what world is Perry a "no" and Pavelski a "maybe?" Unless OP thinks Pavelski still has a Hart trophy season in him + stanley cup?

Also, Fleury should be nowhere near HHOF worthy but unfortunately I could imagine a world where he gets in purely on wins. Imagine Patrick Roy being replaced by his back up in the playoffs in the middle of his prime

Reactions: gbdet

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Neither will get in, but in what world is Perry a "no" and Pavelski a "maybe?" Unless OP thinks Pavelski still has a Hart trophy season in him + stanley cup?

Also, Fleury should be nowhere near HHOF worthy but unfortunately I could imagine a world where he gets in purely on wins. Imagine Patrick Roy being replaced by his back up in the playoffs in the middle of his prime

Pavelski is having a big season at 34, he's got 20 goals so it's possible he plays to 39-40 getting say 50 pts a season which would get him to 1000 points. I doubt there are many 1000 point guys not in the Hall.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Getzlaf will get in eventually based on how he's aging very well that he should be able to easily go over 1,100 career points. Here's showing Getzlaf from age 31 to 33 compared to Joe Thorntons numbers at age 31 to 33 to show how much Getzlaf's skill hasn't slowed down that much at all. Getzlaf's numbers also come from playing on a bad possession teams

2018-19 Getzlaf at age 33: 0.92 points per game & 0.31 goals per game
2012-13 Thornton at age 33: 0.83 points per game & 0.15 goals per game.
2017-18 Getzlaf at age 32: 1.09 points per game & 0.20 goals per game.
2011-12 Thornton at age 32: 0.94 points per game & 0.22 goals per game.
2016-17 Getzlaf at age 31: 0.99 points per game & 0.20 goals per game.
2010-11 Thornton at age 31: 0.88 points per game & 0.26 goals per game.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Pavelski is having a big season at 34, he's got 20 goals so it's possible he plays to 39-40 getting say 50 pts a season which would get him to 1000 points. I doubt there are many 1000 point guys not in the Hall.

I'm not disparaging Pavelski, he's a sick player, but he's never done anything even remotely HOF worthy in his entire career. If we are going to start putting guys in who venture into 70 point territory a handful of times, it's going to get crowded in there.

Perry at least has a HOF worthy peak (50 goals, 98 points), a Hart trophy for his efforts, a cup, and one of the best international resumes of all time. Joe is just a better than average player (maybe a bit understated) who is aging well, a la Ray Whitney.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Fleury shouldn't be remotely close to the HoF. His best season had him finish 7th in Vezina voting, doesn't deserve to be in the HoF in the slightest.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013

Unless he captians a cup win Pavelski is a no, but he is probably going to pass Perry in career games played possibly points this season with Perry expected to be out for so long, which is pretty remarkable considering it took Pavelski a lot longer to reach star status.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
These guys played for most of their career in a dead puck era suppressing their goal/point totals.

Goalies are very underrepresented in the HoF. Fleury will end up very high in total career wins with a very good GAA. Rogie Vachon got in.

There are arguments for none of them getting in. For me Bergeron is a lock and well deserved.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Fleury is never going in, goalies are where the HHOF have been as tough as they should.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
None should get in, Bergeron though is borderline.
While NHL success is taken into a large consideration, especially cups, the HOF isn't solely based on NHL accomplishments. You shouldn't have to be a McDavid level player to get into the HOF, otherwise you can go take out plenty of former players in the HOF. I don't think some of those players are that far behind players already in the HOF.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
While NHL success is taken into a large consideration, especially cups, the HOF isn't solely based on NHL accomplishments. You shouldn't have to be a McDavid level player to get into the HOF, otherwise you can go take out plenty of former players in the HOF. I don't think some of those players are that far behind players already in the HOF.

Lots of players should be out. HHOF is a joke compared to baseball.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Anyone saying something like "none" or "Bergeron, maybe" or referencing the non-existent "hall of very good" has no idea how the Hockey Hall of Fame actually operates.

For the cheap seats:
The HHOF admits 3-4 NHL players every year.

Critique that fact if you want. Rant full volume that the HHOF is diluted. Go right ahead.

But - for the love of sweet baby Jebus - please start answering "Will X be admitted to the HHOF?" questions based somewhat in reality.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
These guys played for most of their career in a dead puck era suppressing their goal/point totals.

Goalies are very underrepresented in the HoF. Fleury will end up very high in total career wins with a very good GAA. Rogie Vachon got in.

There are arguments for none of them getting in. For me Bergeron is a lock and well deserved.

The dead puck era ended after their rookie season, no?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Brent Burns, Seabrook and Byfuglien are absolutely not hall of famers.

Agreed on all of Carter, Perry, Parise, Vanek Kesler. No shot. Same with Pavelski.

MAF seems like a fringe guy but compilation stats and team accmplishments should get him in.

Bergeron is a lock.

Weber and Getzlaf are very good players who've had HoF caliber careers i think will get in. Weber's legacy is tainted by the Subban trade, bad contract and injuries but he was a perrenial Norris contender for a decade+.

Eric Staal is interesting case. Probably Hall of Very good.

Reactions: Huokaus

sedulant

Feb 18, 2015
New Jersey
Eric Staal is a Triple Gold Member and has scored a 100 point season in the NHL( 1 of 109 players) It's disrespectful to say he wouldn't make it.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad