Who's going into the Hall of Fame from the 2003 Draft?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
No locks. History has shown that 2003 wasn’t as great a draft as originally thought. Certainly not as top heavy as thought.

Bergeron might. Unless I missed someone, he would join Bob Gainey as the only forward to never have recorded a PPG season in 50 years. One of the weaker inductions.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
No locks. History has shown that 2003 wasn’t as great a draft as originally thought. Certainly not as top heavy as thought.

Bergeron might. Unless I missed someone, he would join Bob Gainey as the only forward to never have recorded a PPG season in 50 years. One of the weaker inductions.

Another thing they have in common are 4 Selkes. Gainey obviously had more cups, but Bergeron has 250+ more career regular season points and still has a few top knotch seasons left in the tank.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
the only locks Are Bergeron and probably fleury.

Getzlaf will likely go in too but if
It were a strict HOF I don’t know if he would.

This is just off the top of my head and getzlaf has 300 more points then I remember I apologize but it’s late

Getzlaf is likely to get 1100-1200 career points and is currently 8th out of active players in points per game (players with at least 500pts). I don't see a scenario where he doesn't make it.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I am not sold on any of them, if I am being honest. Getz seems close, Bergeron maybe due to being the best defensive forward of a generation. MAF? Really?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Another thing they have in common are 4 Selkes. Gainey obviously had more cups, but Bergeron has 250+ more points and still has a few top knotch seasons left in the tank.

It’s Bergeron’s 4 Selkes that will probably get him in, but he’d still be one of the weaker inductees. But you never know, he’s by no means a lock.

Gainey was a key member of a dynasty, in addition to his 4 Selkes, so to me Gainey was a no-brainer. Bergeron doesn’t have that.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Fleury has been a below average goaltender for a large chunk of his career, with a few good seasons mixed in. He is far from a lock IMO. Seabrook shouldn’t even be allowed in the HOF as a visitor.

Bergeron is the only lock on that list for me, maybe Burns too.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
It’s Bergeron’s 4 Selkes that will probably get him in, but he’d still be one of the weaker inductees. But you never know, he’s by no means a lock.

Gainey was a key member of a dynasty, in addition to his 4 Selkes, so to me Gainey was a no-brainer. Bergeron doesn’t have that.

I totally agree that Gainey was a no-brainer. I just feel that Bergeron (like Gainey) shouldn't be shunned because he never had a ppg season. Bergeron has 2 70 point seasons, 4 60 point seasons and 4 50 point seasons. Gainey never had more than 50 points in a season.

But don't get me wrong, Gainey is a legend and absolute deserving of the HHOF.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Getzlaf should get in. I dont think any top centers in the league has played with more bottom 6 wingers the last 10 seasons than he has and he still scores close to or over ppg every season.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
Fleury Hall of Fame? LOL. Average goalies who play a long time don't get in. Especially goalies. Not even close.

Fleury shouldn't be remotely close to the HoF. His best season had him finish 7th in Vezina voting, doesn't deserve to be in the HoF in the slightest.

Fleury is never going in, goalies are where the HHOF have been as tough as they should.

Fleury has been a below average goaltender for a large chunk of his career, with a few good seasons mixed in. He is far from a lock IMO.

Bergeron is the only lock on that list for me.

- Currently 10th in wins (will be top 5, possibly as high as 3rd by the time he retires)
- Currently 8th in playoff wins (also will be possibly as high as 3rd by the time he retires)

How does a goalie with the 3rd most wins of all time not get into the HOF? Say what you want about how good his teams were. He never played on a team with a top defense. And his position is the single most important position in all of team sports.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
- Currently 10th in wins (will be top 5, possibly as high as 3rd by the time he retires)
- Currently 8th in playoff wins (also will be possibly as high as 3rd by the time he retires)

How does a goalie with the 3rd most wins of all time not get into the HOF? Say what you want about how good his teams were. He never played on a team with a top defense. And his position is the single most important position in all of team sports.

It seems HHOF is a bit more strict about inducting goalies. I see the case for Fleury, but I also think it gets interesting when you consider how few goalies have been inducted in the past. And then you also have to consider other goalies of a similar vintage like Lundqvist, Luongo, and Rinne. Will the HHOF put them all in?

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Bergeron is a lock, then MAF, then Nigel Dawes – once they start to put KHL superstars into the hall as they do now with the Soviets.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
the only locks Are Bergeron and probably fleury.

Getzlaf will likely go in too but if
It were a strict HOF I don’t know if he would.

This is just off the top of my head and getzlaf has 300 more points then I remember I apologize but it’s late
MAF isn't a lock but Bergeron and Getzlaf probably are.

MAF and Burns need 3 to 5 more significant seasons to have a better than 50/50 Shot.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
It seems HHOF is a bit more strict about inducting goalies. I see the case for Fleury, but I also think it gets interesting when you consider how few goalies have been inducted in the past. And then you also have to consider other goalies of a similar vintage like Lundqvist, Luongo, and Rinne. Will the HHOF put them all in?

All fair points. But don't think that someone who is top 3 has never not gotten in.

Also, Lundqvist, Luongo and Rinne don't have as many playoff wins, so not entirely apples to apples comparison

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I see Getzlaf, Weber, Bergeron and Fleury as the ones likely to get in.

Staal, Perry, Burns, Suter are close.

Pavelski, Carter, Parise, Byfuglien are "Hall of Very Good".

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
All fair points. But don't think that someone who is top 3 has never not gotten in.

Also, Lundqvist, Luongo and Rinne don't have as many playoff wins, so not entirely apples to apples comparison

CuJo is #5 all-time for regular season wins and played most of his days in an era with ties (i.e. wins were harder to come by). He's not in. I could see it happening.

Reactions: Paris in Flames

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

every other goalie at the top of the wins list had times where they were considered the best at their position, won individual awards.

Fleury has only 3x been top 10 in gaa or sv% and has a best Vezina finish of 7th.

More so, Fleury is the ultimate passenger. Anyone could've racked up wins sitting behind those Pens teams.

Finally, he cost his team more than he helped. If not for Fleury the Pens certainly have more than 3 Cups. Not to mention 1.5 of his Cups were from the bench

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Getzlaf, Bergeron and Weber are almost locks at this point. Fleury too which is unfortunate as he doesn’t deserve to be there IMO he’s just been lucky enough to have played for the Pens for a decade.

Staal will eventually get in too and Perry has an outside chance.

I would say that’s about it.

Edit: put Burns in the outside chance category also. With another couple of great years he will get in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nsjohnson

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Getzlaf, Bergeron and Weber are almost locks at this point. Fleury too which is unfortunate as he doesn’t deserve to be there IMO he’s just been lucky enough to have played for the Pens for a decade.

Staal will eventually get in too and Perry has an outside chance.

I would say that’s about it.
Perry has a higher chance than Getzlaf and Staal by virtue of his hardware.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Just read the thread about the 2015 draft comparing it to the 2003 draft, both extraordinary but 2015 already looks to better with many players on track for Hall of Fame careers. So I went and looked at the 2003 draft, this class is now at 1000 games give or take 100 games so their careers are pretty much defined as they are close to retirement though there are some if they play 4-5 more years at a good level might make the difference. So who is Hall of Fame bound and who isn't?

Here's who I say gets in

Marc Andre Fleury
Patrice Bergeron
Ryan Getzlaf
Brent Burns
Shea Weber

Guys who won't

Thomas Vanek
Jeff Carter
Zach Parise
Ryan Kesler
Corey Perry

Not sure

Eric Staal *numbers say he should*
Ryan Suter
Joe Pavelski *seems to be maintaining level where he should be considered*
Brent Seabrook
Dustin Byfuglien

Thoughts?

2003 NHL Entry Draft Picks at hockeydb.com

When evaluating this class, I think the trick is to look at potential candidates in other years. When I review several years on either side of the 2003 draft class, I only ever see two to four players who could be possible HHOF candidates.

I don't know how many will make it - though I predict more than than the 0 or 1 that some here seem to be suggesting - but this is how I'd rank them:

Bergeron > Getzlaf > Perry > Burns > Weber > Staal > MAF. Won't rank the rest as I don't think they have a shot.

I completely understand that people might not be on board with where Corey Perry is placed given recent play. But the guy has won everything and has some stellar personal achievements as well. I think he gets in - and in the same year as Getzlaf (like they did with Selanne + Kariya).

If I had to predict where the cut-off would be, I would say after Staal (Remember: 3-4 NHLers are inducted each year and many draft classes will only have a couple worthy candidates.)

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Perry has a higher chance than Getzlaf and Staal by virtue of his hardware.

Normally I would agree but given how poorly he’s aged, how low his numbers will end up being and how much better Getzlaf has been in all but two seasons of their careers I can’t see him going in ahead of Getzlaf. Staal is going to end up with 1100 career points which should get in over Perry too.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
The only HoF lock from the players you mentioned is Bergeron.

How anyone can say Bergeron isn't a HoF lock is beyond me. 4 Selkes, a cup and he's 33. He's making it.

I don’t know how you can say Bergeron is a lock but Getzlaf isn’t. The Selkes are awesome and the fact that he’s one of the best defensive forwards ever does make him a lock. But the offensive discrepancy between him and Getzlaf (who is no slouch defensively) is huge. Both are locks but Getzlaf should go in ahead of Bergeron.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
These guys played for most of their career in a dead puck era suppressing their goal/point totals.

Goalies are very underrepresented in the HoF. Fleury will end up very high in total career wins with a very good GAA. Rogie Vachon got in.

There are arguments for none of them getting in. For me Bergeron is a lock and well deserved.

...Most of these guys NEVER played during the dead puck era. They were drafted, then the lockout hit a year later. If anything, their offensive stats are a bit inflated due to the uncertainty over how to call the new rules in the first couple of seasons after the lockout. Without looking, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that almost every one of these guys had their "career year" in their draft +2 or 3 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad