Who's going into the Hall of Fame from the 2003 Draft?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
In the last 25 years, the HHOF has admitted only seven goalies:
- Billy Smith (1993)
- Grant Fuhr (2003)
- Patrick Roy (2006)
- Ed Belfour (2011)
- Dominik Hasek (2014)
- Rogie Vachon (2016)
- Marty Brodeur (2018)

Forgetting older goalies who could still be considered (e.g. CuJo, Osgood), these are some of Fleury's goaltending contemporaries who could also be considered for the HHOF:
- Lundqvist
- Luongo
- Thomas
- Rinne

I'm not saying there isn't a case for Fleury. But unless the HHOF changes its approach to admitting for that position, I don't think they all make it in. And I don't think Fleury's case is as strong as some of those others.
Of the bolded, only Lundqvist and Tim Thomas have achieved more than Fleury.

It's true MAF was never considered a top 5 goalie, and has made only 3 ASG's, but being 3rd all time in wins and 3x champion carries a lot of weight.

I expect Lundqvist, Thomas, and Fleury to make it to the HOF. Luongo is on the fence because, unlike Fleury, he has never achieved anything.

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
While true, the stat as a comparable-against-history has come to mean less for goalies whose career has been spent in an era where every game awards one winner. The goalies who preceded Fleury in history played in an era where a game that was tied after 60 or 65 minutes awarded neither goalie a win.

Would he still be a top-3 pace if he had to log all his shootout wins as ties as his predecessors had to do for all games that reached that point at equal score?
Era's change and the league evolves. History won't penalize Fleury for his "padded" win column just like it won't penalize Wayne and Mario for padding their stats against pathetically bad goal tending in the 80's.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Of the bolded, only Lundqvist and Tim Thomas have achieved more than Fleury.

It's true MAF was never considered a top 5 goalie, and has made only 3 ASG's, but being 3rd all time in wins and 3x champion carries a lot of weight.

I expect Lundqvist, Thomas, and Fleury to make it to the HOF. Luongo is on the fence because, unlike Fleury, he has never achieved anything.

Alrighty then.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I appreciate him as a player. Very good at both ends of the ice for a long time and as you say came close to being recognized with the Norris. He also has a solid international resume. That said, no hardware and middling production raises some questions for me. I'm trying to think of a comparable who is already in the HOF that is similar. In any event, I do expect him to get in even if it takes a while. If he can manage to play a few more seasons at a high level and end up with over 1000 games/700 points I think the decision will be easier.

To me he and Suter are very similar. Suter doesn't have quite the international resume but I wouldn't hold that against him considering the relative strength of Team Canada over the last 10 + years. A very productive player for many years, He'll likely end up with 1200+ games played and 700 + points. His numbers might end up remarkably close to his uncle Gary who was an excellent player in his own right but should be pointed out is not in the HOF. Different eras though.

I don't think you can call his production middling at all. He was top 5 in goal scoring for defenseman nine times. T5th, T2nd, 3rd, 4th, T1st,T5(Half year),1st, 4th,T2nd and he was sixth in goals scored in 14-15. He was also top 10 in points for defenseman six times. T3rd, T6th,T8th,T9,T9,T10.

He's also just one of a handful of defenseman to lead his team in points, doing it in the lockout year and and 13-14.

He'll most likely be the best player without a Norris along with Brad Park, and he's most definitely better than some defenseman who are already in the Hall(Housley) or have won a Norris(Carlyle).

His Norris record is still one of the best even if he didn't win one. 2,2,3,4,4,6,7,8,10. Five top five finishes, nine top 10 finishes. I'm curious to see how that stacks up against those already in the Hall or defensemen without a Norris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad