Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

Blackjag

Jul 17, 2006
Calgary, AB
yea i've heard kuchin will be pretty good
it should be an interestin competition between kuchin, anthony, tavares, duchene, paarjavi and some others i don't remember right now for the top places in the draft in 09 and also on nhl ehm 07 some guy made a list of the drafts and top picks and things like that and... well anyway here's the link

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6461934525/m/4742068062

let's just say i think kuchin wins if that were supposed to happen

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Tavares with the hat trick tonight.

How does this kid keep doing it??

Someone please explain it to me??? I am from out west and obviously don't get to seem him play all that much, but from I have seen in 3 or 4 viewings, I just haven't come away thinking 'oh my god, the kid is amazing'! I mean he definitely holds his own and for a 15 yr old or 16 this year, it's pretty impressive to be playing in the games he plays in, but I sit here wondering, how he keeps getting it done!?

The kid is on pace for like 70 or 80 goals and how many ever points and he is only 16!! Forget the stats Lindros put up at 16 or 17, or forget about Spezza, you can compare Crosby's number no doubt, it's pretty astounding!.....and he has to play two more years at least after this year! Crazy, I hope the kid doesn't get too bored!

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005

Someone please explain it to me??? I am from out west and obviously don't get to seem him play all that much, but from I have seen in 3 or 4 viewings, I just haven't come away thinking 'oh my god, the kid is amazing'! I mean he definitely holds his own and for a 15 yr old or 16 this year, it's pretty impressive to be playing in the games he plays in, but I sit here wondering, how he keeps getting it done!?

The kid is on pace for like 70 or 80 goals and how many ever points and he is only 16!! Forget the stats Lindros put up at 16 or 17, or forget about Spezza, you can compare Crosby's number no doubt, it's pretty astounding!.....and he has to play two more years at least after this year! Crazy, I hope the kid doesn't get too bored!

He doesn't stand out all the time because his skating isn't the best. It's not bad but average right now ( no need to worry he's no Jason Allison, he'll get better as he grows older). And this kid is going to have great size when he grows up! What makes up for it is his hockey sense and ablility - stuff you can't teach. 45 goals as a 15 year old(on a terrible team) and what he's doing this year as a 16 year old - 29 goals in 27 games - is no mistake. He's not going to be drafted until 09 so you can guarantee that he'll be scrutinized just like Crosby for every little thing he does.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings

Great puck-protection skills and magic hands to go along with superb hockey sense.

Add to that a good-size frame and decent, but not great skating and he gets more than his share of scoring opportunities. Last year, he led the OHL in even-strength goals as a 15-year-old. This year, as a 16-year-old, he's getting tons of ice time and is on the first power-play unit. This gives his numbers a bit of a boost (compared to many other 16-year-olds) but the kid is a special talent. No question.

fitchcj555

Dec 13, 2006
John Tavares 2005/06 vs. Steven Stamkos 2006/07

First off let me start by stating that this is in no way a debate over who is the better prospect at the moment or who will be better in the future.

I'd just like some insight on what everyone thinks of Steve Stamkos' blistering start this year (34GP 25G 20A = 45pts) compared to Tavares' start at this point last season.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
First off let me start by stating that this is in no way a debate over who is the better prospect at the moment or who will be better in the future.

I'd just like some insight on what everyone thinks of Steve Stamkos' blistering start this year (34GP 25G 20A = 45pts) compared to Tavares' start at this point last season.
It's not comparable, Tavares was 15 last year and Stamkos is 16 this year. It's just not far, its more fair to compare both their seasons this year.

fitchcj555

Dec 13, 2006
It's not comparable, Tavares was 15 last year and Stamkos is 16 this year. It's just not far, its more fair to compare both their seasons this year.

Read what I said. Its not meant to compare the two of them or their ages.

Pretend you didnt know how old they are. Just compare the starts they are having to their major junior careers.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
Both kids were awesome in their rookie years. I beleive Tavares started with way more goals than assists, whereas Stamkos is closer to a balance.

On the ice Stamkos looks to have more speed, especially with the puck and cna really dangle (excluding his effort in the shootout against London last night :biglaugh: ).

Tavares looks a bit stronger on the puck and had a real nose for the net. What surprised me most about him was the fact that he was not intimidated for a second in the O and played his game right from the start. It is obviously working.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Stamkos and Tavares TOP 5 in OHL goalscoring!

Two 16 yr olds are in the TOP 5 of OHL goalscoring.......future looking good for the OHL......how about where these guys are going to go in their respective drafts?

Could both be on Team Canada next year for the WJC's?

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Both should be the top overall pick in their respective drafts -- Stamkos in '08 and Tavares in '09. Tavares will almost certainly be on Team Canada next year, and Stamkos has a shot, too. Stamkos will definitely be there the following two years that he's eligible, obviously, but he may struggle to make the team next year at 17.

But Tavares' line of 34 G, 33 A and +12 in 35 games is way more impressive than Stamkos' line of 27 G, 27 A and +8 in 38 games, especially considering that he's nine months younger than Stamkos and plays for a worse team (though the Generals have been smoking lately).

Evil Homer

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
Michael Del Zotto is in the mix as well - a rookie defenceman scoring over a point per game, and he looked great in the game I saw. The class of 1990-born could be the best from Ontario in a long, long time.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Both should be the top overall pick in their respective drafts -- Stamkos in '08 and Tavares in '09. Tavares will almost certainly be on Team Canada next year, and Stamkos has a shot, too. Stamkos will definitely be there the following two years that he's eligible, obviously, but he may struggle to make the team next year at 17.

But Tavares' line of 34 G, 33 A and +12 in 35 games is way more impressive than Stamkos' line of 27 G, 27 A and +8 in 38 games, especially considering that he's nine months younger than Stamkos and plays for a worse team (though the Generals have been smoking lately).

4 more goals so far tonight for JT!

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
stamkos now leads the ohl with 30 goals at 16 yrs old wow.he's not 17,18 or 19 like some first year players are.

Default101

He's also not playing in the World Junior Championship and missing a bunch of games like some of those 17,18 year old first year players are.

no one ever made a big deal about it before why is it a big deal now that it happened to gagner and kane :)

Default101

Yep, Tavares leads the league with 39 and Stamkos leads rookies with 30, and Stamkos' only competition right now for first overall is Drew Doughty, but i think if he keeps playing the way he has he should take #1 from him easily, and Taveres as it stands is the biggest no brainer coming out of the OHL since Thornton they should both be great.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
no one ever made a big deal about it before why is it a big deal now that it happened to gagner and kane :)

It isn't - but since he implied that Stamkos was a better goal scorer than Gagner/Kane despite being 16 - I felt I should at least point out the main reason why he has more goals (than Kane, at least).

Last edited:

Default101

It isn't - but since he implied that Stamkos was a better goal scorer than Gagne/Kane despite being 16 - I felt I should at least point out the main reason why he has more goals (than Kane, at least).

it should be close, i've seen both play several times this year, they're both equally good but what i think what makes stamkos a more valuable prospect is he's doing this as a 16 year old rookie, it'sa lot like the crosby/ovechkin arguments, that ovechkin was the better rookie that year, but he was a 21 year old rookie and crosby was a 19 year old rookie, but what would have happened if crosby was 21 and ovechkin was 21, same thing with gagner and stamkos, gagner's rookie season is going better but he has 2 years of growth and knowledge over stamkos.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
gagner's rookie season is going better but he has 2 years of growth and knowledge over stamkos.

According to my math there is only 6 months difference in age between them. Sam is August 89, while Stamkos is Feb 90.

What Stamkos has done is very impressive especially considering his age, though, and I wasn't trying to argue it.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Yep, Tavares leads the league with 39 and Stamkos leads rookies with 30, and Stamkos' only competition right now for first overall is Drew Doughty, but i think if he keeps playing the way he has he should take #1 from him easily, and Taveres as it stands is the biggest no brainer coming out of the OHL since Thornton they should both be great.

Is Tavares a bigger "no brainer" #1 than Jason Spezza and Mike Ricci were?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
it should be close, i've seen both play several times this year, they're both equally good but what i think what makes stamkos a more valuable prospect is he's doing this as a 16 year old rookie, it'sa lot like the crosby/ovechkin arguments, that ovechkin was the better rookie that year, but he was a 21 year old rookie and crosby was a 19 year old rookie, but what would have happened if crosby was 21 and ovechkin was 21, same thing with gagner and stamkos, gagner's rookie season is going better but he has 2 years of growth and knowledge over stamkos.

Are you comparing Stamkos/Kane or Stamkos/Gagner?

Kane is two years older than Stamkos, Gagner is not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad