Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
Tavares with a hat trick today -- 20 goals in 21 games now. He's now on pace for 64 goals.

Also had an assist, giving him 34 points, putting him on pace for 110 points after scoring 77 points in 65 games last season.

Definitely a generational talent, as far as I'm concerned. But then again, Alexander Daigle was supposed to be a perrenial all-star. And Mario Lemieux was supposed to be a Hall-of-Famer. So this could go either way...

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Tavares with a hat trick today -- 20 goals in 21 games now. He's now on pace for 64 goals.

Also had an assist, giving him 34 points, putting him on pace for 110 points after scoring 77 points in 65 games last season.

Now that's more like it.

And to the guy who said I'm killing him: I'm sorry. I don't want to kill you. I'm not expecting anything from this kid personally, but with all the hype that I've heard about him, he should be above Crosby's level.

I wasn't here when Crosby was that age, but through other channels I've heard even more hype about Tavares than I ever did about Crosby. And that's saying a lot.

The question is, is Tavares going to be better than Crosby, or just another overhyped prospect that in the end delivers like Kessel (and by that I mean: pretty amazing, but not something we haven't seen before).

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Now that's more like it.

And to the guy who said I'm killing him: I'm sorry. I don't want to kill you. I'm not expecting anything from this kid personally, but with all the hype that I've heard about him, he should be above Crosby's level.

I wasn't here when Crosby was that age, but through other channels I've heard even more hype about Tavares than I ever did about Crosby. And that's saying a lot.

The question is, is Tavares going to be better than Crosby, or just another overhyped prospect that in the end delivers like Kessel (and by that I mean: pretty amazing, but not something we haven't seen before).
Probably somewhere in between. I don't think he's as naturally talented as Crosby but I do think he is a notch above Kessel. But then again, he'll have benefitted of 4 OHL season before entering the draft. He'll be the most ready '09 prospect out there. Insane hand-eye coordination, and incredible finishing skills.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Now that's more like it.

He isn't as hyped as Crosby. The Crosby hype was ridiculous, it turned out to be true but dear god the hype was endless. Malkin was also pimped to no end. Infact Tavares hasn't been hyped that much, but maybe that is just me. I haven't seen much talk of him here.

You are def putting way to much expectations of Tavares. 20 goals in 21 games is freakin awesome, considering he is playing against older opposition. It is unlikely Tavares will turn out as good as Crosby, but what he is doing is phenomenal.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
He isn't as hyped as Crosby.

I'm talking from my perspective, of course. I first heard about Crosby two or three years before his draft while I started hearing about Tavares even before he went to the OHL.

I probably missed out on some of the Crosby hype then, but I have to take that as a good thing because I was so annoyed by it even before the draft...

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Who are these two players?

Michael Del Zotto and Alex Pietrangelo are 16-year-old defencemen that off to excellent starts in the OHL. Del Zotto, the No. 2 pick in the OHL draft behind Stamkos, plays with John Tavares on the Oshawa Generals. He is logging tons of ice time.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4615

After a slow start, he's come around. Was even used in a shootout recently and scored the winning goal.

Pietrangelo plays for the Mississauga Ice Dogs.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4543

After a sizzling start, he's cooled off a bit, but is still playing well.

Both have pro potential, actually, big pro upside. Don't let the difference in plus-minus fool you. Del Zotto is actually considered a to be very solid defensively. Most of that minus was accrued during Oshawa's bad start.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
I'm talking from my perspective, of course. I first heard about Crosby two or three years before his draft while I started hearing about Tavares even before he went to the OHL.

I probably missed out on some of the Crosby hype then, but I have to take that as a good thing because I was so annoyed by it even before the draft...

Crosby was known in the Maritimes, but he burst onto the national stage at the national midget championship in 2002. As a 14-year-old, he led the tournament in scoring and helped Dartmouth win a silver medal. That was when the hockey public learned about him. The hockey scouting community already knew about him as he had been tearing up the midget league in Nova Scotia and was a force at the Calgary Macs midget tournament earlier that winter. It was at that tournament that Shattuck St. Mary's spotted him.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

Tavarers started his CHL career at a younger age, so that may be why i guess. Also, i have no idea of the media in Canada, but does Tavares come from a place which generated more media? Was Tavares exposed to the media before Crosby?
Tavares certainly won't get as much as Crosby in the 2 years leading up to his draft, unless he is absolutely phenomenal though.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Tavarers started his CHL career at a younger age, so that may be why i guess. Also, i have no idea of the media in Canada, but does Tavares come from a place which generated more media? Was Tavares exposed to the media before Crosby?
Tavares certainly won't get as much as Crosby in the 2 years leading up to his draft, unless he is absolutely phenomenal though.

Tavares is from Oakville, Ont. a suburb of Toronto. Crosby is from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia (on the East Coast), an area not generally regarded as producing elite hockey players. Justifiably, this is slowly starting to change, but Ontario, by virtue of a much larger population, still produces many more top-level hockey players.

Tavares is definitely from a bigger media market. Actually, the biggest in Canada. Not that he needs it, but his recognition is augmented by the fact that his uncle is a National Lacrosse League star with the Buffalo Bandits.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Tavares is from Oakville, Ont. a suburb of Toronto. Crosby is from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia (on the East Coast), an area not generally regarded as producing elite hockey players. Justifiably, this is slowly starting to change, but Ontario, by virtue of a much larger population, still produces many more top-level hockey players.

Tavares is definitely from a bigger media market. Actually, the biggest in Canada. Not that he needs it, but his recognition is augmented by the fact that his uncle is a National Lacrosse League star with the Buffalo Bandits.

Cool, awesome man. I know Crosby came from an area that wasn't reknown for elite hocke players, although i know this is changing. Isn't Steve Anthony and a few other top prospects for 08/09 from Crosby's neck of the woods?
It may explain why EroSennin has heard more hype about Tavares. Of course, im not Canadian so im in no way able to fully understand the hype. On Hf though, Tavares has def not been as hyped as Crosby.

OHLDAD

Oct 16, 2006
the reason we have heard about John Tavares nationaly before Sydney Crosby is not only because he is from the Greater Toronto Area and his Uncle is a national Lacrosse star. It is because the Quebec league stuck to their rules and would not let Sydney into the Q draft early. Unlike Tavares who threatened the league into making him eligible for the O one year early. His mommy went on record during interviews crying "what do I tell my son when he asks where is he going to play next year?" (read, he is better than everyone else and if you don't let him into the O early, he will go to the USHL with Sammy Gagne)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
the reason we have heard about John Tavares nationaly before Sydney Crosby is not only because he is from the Greater Toronto Area and his Uncle is a national Lacrosse star. It is because the Quebec league stuck to their rules and would not let Sydney into the Q draft early. Unlike Tavares who threatened the league into making him eligible for the O one year early. His mommy went on record during interviews crying "what do I tell my son when he asks where is he going to play next year?" (read, he is better than everyone else and if you don't let him into the O early, he will go to the USHL with Sammy Gagne)

Well, that's an interesting way to put it. OHL has a precedent for allowing 15-year-olds to play. Spezza, Fata. Tavares had to apply for exceptional player status and got it. When he played, he proved he belonged. I think the OHL was more than happy he joined the league and I'm sure they don't feel as though they were held over a barrel.

You praise the Q for "sticking to the rules." Well, after Crosby came and went in two years, I bet they're wishing they had the foresight to allow him to play there as a 15-year-old. Attendance spiked at every arena he played in during his two seasons. They could have had that for three years. Silly, foolish, Q-league.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Michael Del Zotto and Alex Pietrangelo are 16-year-old defencemen that off to excellent starts in the OHL. Del Zotto, the No. 2 pick in the OHL draft behind Stamkos, plays with John Tavares on the Oshawa Generals. He is logging tons of ice time.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4615

After a slow start, he's come around. Was even used in a shootout recently and scored the winning goal.

Pietrangelo plays for the Mississauga Ice Dogs.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4543

After a sizzling start, he's cooled off a bit, but is still playing well.

Both have pro potential, actually, big pro upside. Don't let the difference in plus-minus fool you. Del Zotto is actually considered a to be very solid defensively. Most of that minus was accrued during Oshawa's bad start.

Del Zotto is putting up better numbers than any 16 yr old D-man I have seen in a long, long time! Pretty crazy actually!

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria

The first time I heard about Crosby (on the west coast of Canada) was when he was on the CBC or TSN at age 14 when he played with team Nova Scotia and ripped it up from what I recall. They asked Gretzky around that time what he thought of Crosby, and from what I recall he said "potential to be the best Canadian player since Lemeiux" or perhaps it was "he might break some of my records some day".

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
I think I first heard of Crosby in 2001 or 2002. I definitely watched his Darmouth Subways win the cup (Air Canada?) in April or May of 2002. Ordinarily, I wouldn't have paid attention to that kind of thing.

I first heard of Tavares in an article by Bob McKenzie around the time of his "exceptional status" hearing by the OHL, which allowed him to play for Oshawa a year early.

Crosby was definitely more hyped than Tavares - people were comparing Sid to Gretzky when he was 14.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
I think I first heard of Crosby in 2001 or 2002. I definitely watched his Darmouth Subways win the cup (Air Canada?) in April or May of 2002. Ordinarily, I wouldn't have paid attention to that kind of thing.

Actually, the Dartmouth Subways lost in the final of the Air Canada Cup to the Tisdale (Sask.) Trojans. Top to bottom, the Trojans were a better team and were able to keep Crosby in check -- at least compared to the other teams in the tournament. Crosby had a goal and an assist in a 6-2 loss. However, he led the tournament in scoring as a 14-year-old and was named MVP.

Crosby was definitely more hyped than Tavares - people were comparing Sid to Gretzky when he was 14.

And one of those people was Gretzky. Crosby attended a summer hockey camp in Los Angeles. He was invited by IMG group, who became his "adviser" and then his agent as he worked his way up the ranks. Gretzky was there in LA and saw Sid playing against a bunch of NHL guys as a 14 or 15-year-old. Apparently, the Great One was impressed with the kid, and a few months later during an interview, Gretzky made the now famous "he's going to break some of my records someday" comment.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Tavares with a goal and two assists tonight -- now has 24 goals and 19 assists in 25 games, and is a plus-4 on a sub.-500 Oshawa team. Pretty amazing.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Now that's more like it.

That's a pretty wide brush you're painting with. I could see Tavares ending up as a Bossy type, I really like the kid's finish (not to say he doesn't have great vision, but it's not on Sid's level). And his skating really isn't astounding either.

Still going to be a fantastic NHLer. Wouldn't it be something if the Pens could find a way to pick this kid too? :D

Anderson8

Jul 24, 2006
None of them are going to go 1st overall their's a Russian superstar in the wings.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
None of them are going to go 1st overall their's a Russian superstar in the wings.

He's so good he'll be drafted in 2008 and 2009? I'm assuming you mean Kuchin. A little difficult for us NA posters to include him as we've mostly seen him play between zero and none times.

I suppose there's always the possibility he could pull a Kovalchuk, but like I said, I'd have to see him play, and he'd have to go some to be picked ahead of Tavares.

kappa44

Jul 26, 2006
Ive watched Tavares play and no matter what anyone says this kid will become the next star of the NHL and dare I say be better then the Ovechkins,Crosbys and Malkins.

Now one thing that I cant seem to clear up is when will he be elligible to be drafted into the NHL?? Is it 2008 or 2009??

The faster i know the better it is so I can start offering trades in my pool for first round picks that year;)

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
Ive watched Tavares play and no matter what anyone says this kid will become the next star of the NHL and dare I say be better then the Ovechkins,Crosbys and Malkins.

Now one thing that I cant seem to clear up is when will he be elligible to be drafted into the NHL?? Is it 2008 or 2009??

The faster i know the better it is so I can start offering trades in my pool for first round picks that year;)

Tavares is 2009 eligible, born Sept. 20 1990, five days from the Sept. 15 cutoff.

Misos Milakos*

Tavares has another 5 points (2G) this afternoon against Ottawa.

Del Zotto has 3 assists to give him 31 points in 26 games. +4 as well. still about 5 minutes to play in the 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->