Who's being traded?

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
i wouldn't mind seeing berglund go for some first rounder. i know some people will probably disagree with this, but i say trade porter. clear up room, and i just can't see porter finding a spot on our team next year with all our depth.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
There is no way Berglund is going to return a first. Would you even give up a late first for a 3rd line C?

GrowlingDog

Oct 5, 2011
There is no way Berglund is going to return a first. Would you even give up a late first for a 3rd line C?

Agreed, Berglund will net us a second rounder I think, unless someone gets real desperate around trade deadline. I'm not convinced that they are even thinking about dealing him before then anyway. Too many unknowns in this line up, and Berglund is a outmatched 2nd center in the west, but I think a quality 3rd center. He may be a fantastic 3rd LW which I feel is where he will spend the year.

The Typo Truther

Nov 29, 2011
Kansas City, MO
Berglund's NTC doesn't kick in until next year, but I think it lessens his value. Someone in the organization seems to like him well enough. I hate to say it, but the team may be looking at some cheaper parts that can fill Oshie's projected role. The organization has been pretty silent on him this week other than when Armstrong said that Berglund, Sobotka and "maybe Oshie" could be a combo. $4.5 million is a lot to pay a guy on that line.

Edit: Also, Armstrong mentioned consulting with Backes and Steen about taking on a higher contract than theirs, but said nothing about talking to Oshie.

He doesn't have a movement restriction and his trade value would be pretty high.

Last edited:

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
just thinking about this now but imagine if they traded stastny to Colorado for oreilly, that would be such a smart move since oreilly is having contract problems and stastny is already signed so Colorado wont have to worry about negotiating a contract with him again. Armstrong would look like a genious after that one

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
just thinking about this now but imagine if they traded stastny to Colorado for oreilly, that would be such a smart move since oreilly is having contract problems and stastny is already signed so Colorado wont have to worry about negotiating a contract with him again. Armstrong would look like a genious after that one
Ummm, no he wouldn't? Not sure why we would want to trade for a guy who has been a hassle to negotiate a contract with. Not sure why Colorado would want Stastny back after he chose to sign with us over them too. Stastny was our main target for this summer, he's not going anywhere.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL

Haha what?

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis
Berglund's NTC doesn't kick in until next year, but I think it lessens his value. Someone in the organization seems to like him well enough. I hate to say it, but the team may be looking at some cheaper parts that can fill Oshie's projected role. The organization has been pretty silent on him this week other than when Armstrong said that Berglund, Sobotka and "maybe Oshie" could be a combo. $4.5 million is a lot to pay a guy on that line.

Edit: Also, Armstrong mentioned consulting with Backes and Steen about taking on a higher contract than theirs, but said nothing about talking to Oshie.

He doesn't have a movement restriction and his trade value would be pretty high.
wouldn't mind us teasing oshie, would like to see what we could get for him in return. i can't see him staying a blue his whole career.

i know he's a great teammate and a core player, but just to see what teams would overpay for him i'd bait him out there.

gumption

Jun 28, 2014
St. Louis

frogs would make the best gms

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol yeah what a genius move that would be to trade a guy who wants to be here and is already under contract for a player who doesn't have a contract and is represented by the biggest nutcases in hockey in Newport Sports.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
Any ideas what teams are on Leopold's trade list? There has to be a team on there who are having a hard time getting up to the salary cap floor, right? That would be fine on paying an aging, oft-injured defenseman more than $2 mil. He has played for both BUF and FLA earlier.

Edit:
I'm not saying Leo's a bad player, he is definitely still a very serviceable defenseman. But that's a lot of dollars and cap space to pay to a guy on press box duty.

GrandPapillon*

Write in vote for Ryan Reaves

The same guy that had a whopping 3 fights in the 2014 portion of the 2013-2014 season. The same guy that was in the lineup when several of our players were cheapshotted and did nothing to even the score (and his presence in the lineup didn't exactly deter that kind of nonsense either). He's a decent hockey player for an enforcer, but if he can't or won't do that portion of the job, he isn't worth dressing. The Blues would be better served bringing in a young fighter that wants to make a name for himself around the league or just play a more skilled player in that spot and get away from having an enforcer as several other teams already have.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
So? You mean MPS right?

I'm glad you picked up on that. I was hoping somebody would. I like Magnus. I think he'll have a decent career somewhere, but I just don't think he has a place on this team. He's not tough enough to play fourth line for us, and not good enough to displace someone higher.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I'm glad you picked up on that. I was hoping somebody would. I like Magnus. I think he'll have a decent career here, but I just don't think he has a place on this team. He's not tough enough to play fourth line for us, and not good enough to displace someone higher.

I think he will go on to have an NHL career too, but he will probably waste away if he stays with us. I would rather we try to get assets for upgrade or prolonged contention purposes.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I think he will go on to have an NHL career too, but he will probably waste away if he stays with us. I would rather we try to get assets for upgrade or prolonged contention purposes.

Oops, I mean to say "have a career somewhere", not a career here. He just doesn't have a spot here. I wouldn't be terribly opposed to moving both Mags and Reaves. I just don't think you need a true fighter. Look at what LA did with kids on their fourth line. They've got a bunch of tough young guys that play with and edge, as well as some skill. That's what I'd like to try to do. To put it this way, for about the same amount of money we'll be paying Reaves, LA will have Kyle Clifford on their fourth line. I want that.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Would MPS salary count if he starts in the AHL?

Buried contracts, 1-way contracts in the AHL, save you a maximum of $925,000. So MPS, who makes $1.2M would cost us $275k against the cap and save $925k. Whereas Porrter who makes less than $900k would cost nothing in the AHL and would save his entire salary.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Buried contracts, 1-way contracts in the AHL, save you a maximum of $925,000. So MPS, who makes $1.2M would cost us $275k against the cap and save $925k. Whereas Porrter who makes less than $900k would cost nothing in the AHL and would save his entire salary.
This would be an idea then, no? Let the kid play on the wolves instead of holding a chair down. Purely a cost savings plan. We don't have to shed any salary if Sobokta and Schwartz play ball and don't ask for 3m+. Jaskin can be our call up since he's on a 2 way.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Between Porter, Jaskin, Lindstrom and Paajarvi: under what circumstances would waivers come into play if any of them are sent to the AHL out of training camp? (Jaskin, I think I know the answer is that he's safe due to his ELC status.)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Waivers only apply if they are sent down after the season starts, right? I thought they were safe if sent down before then.

Porter has passed through consistently. Lindstom and MPS would be claimed imo

Apr 28, 2013
St. Louis
Write in vote for Ryan Reaves

The same guy that had a whopping 3 fights in the 2014 portion of the 2013-2014 season. The same guy that was in the lineup when several of our players were cheapshotted and did nothing to even the score (and his presence in the lineup didn't exactly deter that kind of nonsense either). He's a decent hockey player for an enforcer, but if he can't or won't do that portion of the job, he isn't worth dressing. The Blues would be better served bringing in a young fighter that wants to make a name for himself around the league or just play a more skilled player in that spot and get away from having an enforcer as several other teams already have.

He's my vote too. Writing is on the wall for a Bollig type trade in the near future.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Waivers only apply if they are sent down after the season starts, right? I thought they were safe if sent down before then.

Porter has passed through consistently. Lindstom and MPS would be claimed imo

I know there are no longer waivers for being called up. But I haven't heard anything that would exclude all players from waivers if its before the season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad