Who'll stop The Reign: The 2023-24 Ontario Reign Thread

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He's not getting hurt in the NHL?

The plays he gets hurt on are unlikely to happen in the NHL. This is the third time a guy has left his spot on the ice to take a run at Turcotte while he’s already engaged with another check. You see far less of it in the nhl because guys get burned and ripped for leaving their posts and getting out of position to make a hit. AHLers don’t give a shit.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Even after a couple of other headshots

Thomas eats an elbow to the chops no call

Chromiak Clarke Ward Bjornfot all jump in

On one hand love to see it

On another how many prospects need to take headshots? Turc may be done at this point. How long till it’s Clarke?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The plays he gets hurt on are unlikely to happen in the NHL. This is the third time a guy has left his spot on the ice to take a run at Turcotte while he’s already engaged with another check. You see far less of it in the nhl because guys get burned and ripped for leaving their posts and getting out of position to make a hit. AHLers don’t give a shit.
It's incredible that some people still don't understand this.

The AHL has players who are either trying to earn that one chance or they lack major skills.

Hitting cleanly is a skill some of them lack. Granted, Turcotte seems to lack the skill of taking some hits despite his style of play. But he's also taken some hits that a regular NHLer wouldn't make that a lot of AHLers do.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I went a Reign game recently and Turc got smoked in that game also. He either doesn’t know how to take a hit or keeps putting himself in these positions idk…

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
What is happening with Pinelli? I haven't been following the Reign too closely this year outside of eyeing Turcotte and Clarke's statlines and just noticed Pinelli's. Is he having trouble adjusting to the pro game or what?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

If the problem is concussion related, it doesn't matter where or when or how he gets hit. Any contact, even NHL contact, can put him out.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
What is happening with Pinelli? I haven't been following the Reign too closely this year outside of eyeing Turcotte and Clarke's statlines and just noticed Pinelli's. Is he having trouble adjusting to the pro game or what?
Pinelli has often been a healthy scratch. A lot of guys coming from juniors find out quickly how difficult it is to play against men. He's having trouble adjusting although he will get more ice time now with Turcotte out, probability will center the 3rd line. He's made a few nice plays but his game doesn't stand out, he's got a long way to go. In my experience 1st year pros, if they are close to sure NHL bets, start scoring regularly by Christmas if put in a position to succeed. Have not seen that yet from Pinelli.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If the problem is concussion related, it doesn't matter where or when or how he gets hit. Any contact, even NHL contact, can put him out.

I'm sure you'll agree that several blindside elbows to the head are far worse than shift-to-shift NHL contact

He's been taking licks just fine all year, yeah the guy has a 'problem' with massively illegal hits and a particular type of hit you rarely see in the NHL.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Dang that was a worse hit to the head than I imagined. Totally directed by the dude and lunged into the face/head. What makes a guy think that’s a valid hockey play? How do they keep allowing this kind of crap?

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
poor f***in kid

at best he's had his NHL career irreversibly altered and shortened by illegal hits

that sucks no matter who he is

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Dang that was a worse hit to the head than I imagined. Totally directed by the dude and lunged into the face/head. What makes a guy think that’s a valid hockey play? How do they keep allowing this kind of crap?

It's the AHL, they don't care. Might as well have bounties on star players for scrubs trying to make a name for themselves.

And it happened again later to Akil too.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm sure you'll agree that several blindside elbows to the head are far worse than shift-to-shift NHL contact

He's been taking licks just fine all year, yeah the guy has a 'problem' with massively illegal hits and a particular type of hit you rarely see in the NHL.

Rarely, but we saw it last night with Larkin. Evander Kane the other night too. Lee last night with a couple questionable instances, and if Turcotte gets slew footed, he could easily jiggle something in his head. If Turcotte is going to get hurt, he's going to get hurt wherever he's playing. As watered down as the violence is in the NHL these days, there are still enough NHL guys who "don't care", and will hit you however they have to.

If higher profile young guys can't be in the AHL because they become a target, what's the point of the AHL?

Reactions: Vino

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Rarely, but we saw it last night with Larkin. Evander Kane the other night too. Lee last night with a couple questionable instances, and if Turcotte gets slew footed, he could easily jiggle something in his head. If Turcotte is going to get hurt, he's going to get hurt wherever he's playing. As watered down as the violence is in the NHL these days, there are still enough NHL guys who "don't care", and will hit you however they have to.

If higher profile young guys can't be in the AHL because they become a target, what's the point of the AHL?

NOW you're asking the right questions!

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Portillo now 7-1, .931 sv %, 1.96 GAA. They have been bringing Portillo along slowly, but it seems it may be time for him to get 2 out of 3 every 3 starts instead of Rittich, who has been really good on many nights, but inconsistent with a few bad games. Portillo has some things to clean up, but in the end, he gets results. On the second Reign goal, the Bakersfield play by play man says Tynan, but it was a snipe by Pinelli on the rush, a great shot, maybe the start of some better things with more playing time.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
I don't understand how there hasn't been a stricter response from the NHL towards head contact in the AHL. This is f***ing unbelievable at this point. In the NCAA if you even remotely make head contact it's a major and a game misconduct at minimum. The AHL is a development league filled mostly with teams who live and die by the whims of their NHL affiliates. It's a f***ing disgrace that Turcotte has had this happen, what, four different times now?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I don't understand how there hasn't been a stricter response from the NHL towards head contact in the AHL. This is f***ing unbelievable at this point. In the NCAA if you even remotely make head contact it's a major and a game misconduct at minimum. The AHL is a development league filled mostly with teams who live and die by the whims of their NHL affiliates. It's a f***ing disgrace that Turcotte has had this happen, what, four different times now?

I have argued in the past to get guys out of the AHL as quickly as possible because there are more cheap shots and less respect amongst the players when compared to the NHL. But in this instance that is a hit that is going to happen a lot in the NHL too, elbowing penalties and illegal checks to the head are called just about every night in the NHL and 99% of the time it's a penalty and everyone moves on. I definitely wouldn't call it a clean hit, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the other ones, but sadly the result is the same as the dirty ones.

I am in agreement with @KingsFan7824 on this one, it's sadly just looking more and more like Turcotte is another Adam Deadmarsh/Brett Lindros where his body just isn't going to let him have a professional hockey career. Just think about how often Lizzo gets crushed at the NHL level, and then realize that Turcotte will be expected to play a similar role when he finally makes it.

And yeah, the quality of longterm life is something a 22 year old probably doesn't want to hear, but I know Chris Pronger has said he couldn't even be in arenas after he retired because of the noise and lighting, Deadmarsh gained a ton of weight because he couldn't do any kind of strenuous workout, Former NFL all-pro DT Kris Jenkins wasn't even able to walk out on the field 2 weeks ago for his sons senior day because the CTE is so bad he can't be in a noisy stadiums.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad